Horn Canyon Trail

Horn Canyon Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1919 feet

First half is through beautiful flowers and shrubbery, but with that there are bugs and bees. At the third or fourth stream crossing there's a big clearing and the landscape changes to dense forest. Bear spray is recommended.

I have not hiked this trail to the top for at least 2 to 3 years and was completely surprised to see the camp overgrown, without running water and many of its trees cut down, but it still has lots of blue jays lol. Also the path has a lot of shrub overgrowth as you get progressively closer to the camping ground. I noticed that my footprints were the only set for at least half a mile, so many hikers may not venture up there like they did in the past. It was a scorcher of a day, and even if it wasn't, I would strongly suggest to bring at least water and a hat. There is little shade on the upper part of the trail and your constantly trekking in one direction, up. I saw little wildlife, except for finches, blue jays, rabbits and lizards, although I did see bear scat at least twice. This trail is a hidden gem and would highly recommend it.

The first half was pretty, with wildflowers and a few stream crossings. Don't listen to Google navigation as you get close to the trail head, the route will take you to a rocky road that is closed off. Go through the Thacher school instead, all signs say private property but it's open to people going to the trailhead. We didn't see/hear any bears, but after reading other comments I recommend reading up on best practices for avoiding and dealing with bears. Fun, challenging hike!

First half is through beautiful flowers and shrubbery, but with that there are bugs and bees. At the third or fourth stream crossing there's a big clearing and the landscape changes to dense forest. At this point my fiancé and I heard a distinct bear growl that made us stop in our tracks. DO NOT head out on this hike if you're not prepared to deal with bears! We did not have spray and hadn't seen anyone else on the trail that morning so we turned back. Not worth the risk!

Made it to the top and stopped 25ft away from a bear!
Make sure to park at Thatcher, it'll save time.
Not much of a view from the top (from the quick glance we got before we retreated). Beautiful views on the way up. Lots of wildflowers, bees, and mosquitos! The pine trees have all been cut down and are lying at the top. No place to set up a tent.

nice

Awesome hike, my fav in ojai!

nice trail, beautiful views a lot of switch backs, after the third river crossing the entire hike is all incline a no joke incline I loved the hike but it was a bit of a challenge. I would definitely rate this trail moderate/streanous after the third river crossing. totally worth hiking to the pines camp site the view of Ojai Valley is amazing. make sure to pack enough water & snacks.

This is not suitable for mountain bikes.

Excellent trail! Went on Christmas Day and there's a creek you walk near at the start of it, once you hit higher elevation there's a scenic view of ojai. Very beautiful and verdant. Take the detour road to arrive at the trail parking.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Nice to see water! Variety of trail to ride and try to but some hike a bike but still great little ride or longer if you ride from Ventura like I do it makes it a lot longer ride!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Nice hike, very few people, no graffiti, nicely marked, all uphill on the way out, not much water running.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Great hike! I went this morning in the Ojai heat so it was a bit of a challenge during the incline! Def a great hike though with lots of beautiful flowers and sage as well as lizards, birds and butterflies! I went up past the Pines camp and up to the look out where the Sisar Rd meets. The flys really get to you after the Pines so bringing a bandana and sunglasses was perfect! Def will do it again :)

Monday, May 30, 2016

Beautiful hike with an abundant variety of colors and foilage

Friday, May 27, 2016

Went here on a Wednesday afternoon and I only saw one other person. I really enjoyed the trail, it's not too far to get up to the pines but the elevation is tough! At first I couldn't find the trailhead and didn't realize you had to drive onto school grounds to find it. Overall a beautiful hike and my dog loved it as well. A friend of mine told me this trail is also notorious for rattlesnakes too, so be careful with dogs/kids.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Did this Mothers Day. Went almost up to Nordhoff Ridge Road but was getting socked in with visibility down to 25 yards. Didn't know if trail behind was also fogged in. Wasn't - great tough hike about 8.5 miles RT. First one I have done in a while. Loved it. Not a sole til I was halfway back down from Pines Campground. Overcast was a plus.

Monday, May 02, 2016

Great trail, lots of sun, a few water crossings, and nice view from the pine tree campground. Easy/moderate trail, not too many people during the week. My dog loves this trail.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

It was great! Beautiful! The view, the wildflowers, the trees, and flowing creek along the way were all lush this time of year. A real treat. But man its up the entire hike. Climbing 1900+ feet in elevation is no joke.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Hiked with a couple friends over summer. Weather was warm, bring water if it's hot outside. Difficult to find trail head, so don't be afraid to drive onto the school grounds to find it. Hike itself was nice and relaxing, some shady spots, but we had to turn back about 45 min in, because a particularly feisty rattlesnake was blocking the path. Nice views down valley when coming back down, especially on a clear day.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Awesome and cold I hiked in the rain.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Steep. Great views as you exit past the creek and into the Mtn. But is steep. Half the pines have been cut down. Bushes surrounding the camp also block the view. Would be a great place to camp though.