Horn Canyon Trail

Horn Canyon Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1971 feet

First half is through beautiful flowers and shrubbery, but with that there are bugs and bees. At the third or fourth stream crossing there's a big clearing and the landscape changes to dense forest. Bear spray is recommended.

I have not hiked this trail to the top for at least 2 to 3 years and was completely surprised to see the camp overgrown, without running water and many of its trees cut down, but it still has lots of blue jays lol. Also the path has a lot of shrub overgrowth as you get progressively closer to the camping ground. I noticed that my footprints were the only set for at least half a mile, so many hikers may not venture up there like they did in the past. It was a scorcher of a day, and even if it wasn't, I would strongly suggest to bring at least water and a hat. There is little shade on the upper part of the trail and your constantly trekking in one direction, up. I saw little wildlife, except for finches, blue jays, rabbits and lizards, although I did see bear scat at least twice. This trail is a hidden gem and would highly recommend it.

The first half was pretty, with wildflowers and a few stream crossings. Don't listen to Google navigation as you get close to the trail head, the route will take you to a rocky road that is closed off. Go through the Thacher school instead, all signs say private property but it's open to people going to the trailhead. We didn't see/hear any bears, but after reading other comments I recommend reading up on best practices for avoiding and dealing with bears. Fun, challenging hike!

First half is through beautiful flowers and shrubbery, but with that there are bugs and bees. At the third or fourth stream crossing there's a big clearing and the landscape changes to dense forest. At this point my fiancé and I heard a distinct bear growl that made us stop in our tracks. DO NOT head out on this hike if you're not prepared to deal with bears! We did not have spray and hadn't seen anyone else on the trail that morning so we turned back. Not worth the risk!

Made it to the top and stopped 25ft away from a bear!
Make sure to park at Thatcher, it'll save time.
Not much of a view from the top (from the quick glance we got before we retreated). Beautiful views on the way up. Lots of wildflowers, bees, and mosquitos! The pine trees have all been cut down and are lying at the top. No place to set up a tent.

nice

Awesome hike, my fav in ojai!

nice trail, beautiful views a lot of switch backs, after the third river crossing the entire hike is all incline a no joke incline I loved the hike but it was a bit of a challenge. I would definitely rate this trail moderate/streanous after the third river crossing. totally worth hiking to the pines camp site the view of Ojai Valley is amazing. make sure to pack enough water & snacks.

This is not suitable for mountain bikes.