Horn Canyon Trail (CLOSED)

Horn Canyon Trail (CLOSED) is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1919 feet

closed

First half is through beautiful flowers and shrubbery, but with that there are bugs and bees. At the third or fourth stream crossing there's a big clearing and the landscape changes to dense forest. Bear spray is recommended.

I have not hiked this trail to the top for at least 2 to 3 years and was completely surprised to see the camp overgrown, without running water and many of its trees cut down, but it still has lots of blue jays lol. Also the path has a lot of shrub overgrowth as you get progressively closer to the camping ground. I noticed that my footprints were the only set for at least half a mile, so many hikers may not venture up there like they did in the past. It was a scorcher of a day, and even if it wasn't, I would strongly suggest to bring at least water and a hat. There is little shade on the upper part of the trail and your constantly trekking in one direction, up. I saw little wildlife, except for finches, blue jays, rabbits and lizards, although I did see bear scat at least twice. This trail is a hidden gem and would highly recommend it.

The first half was pretty, with wildflowers and a few stream crossings. Don't listen to Google navigation as you get close to the trail head, the route will take you to a rocky road that is closed off. Go through the Thacher school instead, all signs say private property but it's open to people going to the trailhead. We didn't see/hear any bears, but after reading other comments I recommend reading up on best practices for avoiding and dealing with bears. Fun, challenging hike!

First half is through beautiful flowers and shrubbery, but with that there are bugs and bees. At the third or fourth stream crossing there's a big clearing and the landscape changes to dense forest. At this point my fiancé and I heard a distinct bear growl that made us stop in our tracks. DO NOT head out on this hike if you're not prepared to deal with bears! We did not have spray and hadn't seen anyone else on the trail that morning so we turned back. Not worth the risk!

Friday, May 05, 2017

Made it to the top and stopped 25ft away from a bear!
Make sure to park at Thatcher, it'll save time.
Not much of a view from the top (from the quick glance we got before we retreated). Beautiful views on the way up. Lots of wildflowers, bees, and mosquitos! The pine trees have all been cut down and are lying at the top. No place to set up a tent.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

nice

Thursday, February 02, 2017

Awesome hike, my fav in ojai!

Monday, January 30, 2017

nice trail, beautiful views a lot of switch backs, after the third river crossing the entire hike is all incline a no joke incline I loved the hike but it was a bit of a challenge. I would definitely rate this trail moderate/streanous after the third river crossing. totally worth hiking to the pines camp site the view of Ojai Valley is amazing. make sure to pack enough water & snacks.

Friday, January 27, 2017

This is not suitable for mountain bikes.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Excellent trail! Went on Christmas Day and there's a creek you walk near at the start of it, once you hit higher elevation there's a scenic view of ojai. Very beautiful and verdant. Take the detour road to arrive at the trail parking.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Nice to see water! Variety of trail to ride and try to but some hike a bike but still great little ride or longer if you ride from Ventura like I do it makes it a lot longer ride!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Nice hike, very few people, no graffiti, nicely marked, all uphill on the way out, not much water running.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Great hike! I went this morning in the Ojai heat so it was a bit of a challenge during the incline! Def a great hike though with lots of beautiful flowers and sage as well as lizards, birds and butterflies! I went up past the Pines camp and up to the look out where the Sisar Rd meets. The flys really get to you after the Pines so bringing a bandana and sunglasses was perfect! Def will do it again :)

Monday, May 30, 2016

Beautiful hike with an abundant variety of colors and foilage

Friday, May 27, 2016

Went here on a Wednesday afternoon and I only saw one other person. I really enjoyed the trail, it's not too far to get up to the pines but the elevation is tough! At first I couldn't find the trailhead and didn't realize you had to drive onto school grounds to find it. Overall a beautiful hike and my dog loved it as well. A friend of mine told me this trail is also notorious for rattlesnakes too, so be careful with dogs/kids.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Did this Mothers Day. Went almost up to Nordhoff Ridge Road but was getting socked in with visibility down to 25 yards. Didn't know if trail behind was also fogged in. Wasn't - great tough hike about 8.5 miles RT. First one I have done in a while. Loved it. Not a sole til I was halfway back down from Pines Campground. Overcast was a plus.

Monday, May 02, 2016

Great trail, lots of sun, a few water crossings, and nice view from the pine tree campground. Easy/moderate trail, not too many people during the week. My dog loves this trail.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

It was great! Beautiful! The view, the wildflowers, the trees, and flowing creek along the way were all lush this time of year. A real treat. But man its up the entire hike. Climbing 1900+ feet in elevation is no joke.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Hiked with a couple friends over summer. Weather was warm, bring water if it's hot outside. Difficult to find trail head, so don't be afraid to drive onto the school grounds to find it. Hike itself was nice and relaxing, some shady spots, but we had to turn back about 45 min in, because a particularly feisty rattlesnake was blocking the path. Nice views down valley when coming back down, especially on a clear day.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Awesome and cold I hiked in the rain.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Steep. Great views as you exit past the creek and into the Mtn. But is steep. Half the pines have been cut down. Bushes surrounding the camp also block the view. Would be a great place to camp though.

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

All incline not for novice hikers
Parking instructions : go thru the school on Thatcher st and it'll lead you thru to the trail head.
Had a awesome time,lots of incline but there is a small creek,some switch backs and a cool forestry spot.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Very beautiful moderate hike, steady elevation. Wonderful views of Ojai Valley.

Monday, July 13, 2015

This is not really an "easy" hike once you leave the creek and start climbing. The trail is well maintained and provides dramatic views of the Ojai Valley down the steep slopes of Horn Canyon.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

More of a moderate hike than an easy one but lots of shade areas on the way up.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Very well-maintained trail. Be prepared for a day of steady increases in elevation throughout entire trail. Especially if you continue on upward to the Pines campsite. The trail for the Pines is at the fourth Creek Crossing. I am a bit of a novice hiker and was challenged by the section leading steeply to the Pines site. The Pines afforded stellar views of the surrounding landscape with a pipe trickling water (hot water at noon) but sadly many of the pines atop this trail are dead or dying fast. Hammock campers will enjoy the options here along with the breeze. Enjoy.

Friday, June 19, 2015

Still some water in the creek in places, even in this drought. Especially nice is the grove just where the trail leaves the creek to head up the side of the mountain. Unfortunately many of the pines at the campground are dying. For now, they still provide nice cool shade, but maybe not for long.
Note: the upper half of the trail is rather exposed, and a continuous grade. Gets rather hot on a warm day.

Sunday, April 06, 2014

Popular trail for day hikers. I hiked it with my Scouts. We planned to spend the night at Pine Trees, and not knowing the water situation, we were packed pretty heavy. The good news is a little spring piped into the rear of the camp. The bad news is we carried in a lot of water. But the reward of the beauty at camp was worth all the effort. Great fire pits, benches and plenty of piney shade. Almost paradise for a boy like me.
A good chunk of the hike up is steep and shadeless. So be prepared. Its not an easy hike, but it is a great hike. I will definitely pack lighter...legs were sore for a couple days.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

This was my second time on Horn Canyon. However, it was my first time making it all the way to the Pines Camp. The halfway point of this hike is a shady Gorge area. From there, the hike leads out of the canyon and up to the Pines. It climbs steeply from this point. The Gorge is a perfect turnaround spot if you are short on time. The last mile of the hike is steep, narrow in places and has plenty of rocks and loose dirt so watch your footing up and down. There are also places with narrow trail and steep ledges so be aware of that as well. It's worth it to climb to the Pines. You will be rewarded with shade, gentle breezes, great views and serenity. There are benches to rest on and water for dogs/horses. I didn't see any rattlesnakes either time I've hiked this trail. Plenty of birds, lizards and scant poison oak. A lovely hike. I highly recommend it if you don't mind steep inclines.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Great hike with nice views! The 5.8 mile hike listed in the Trail Stats ends at Pines Campground which is also great for a shaded break. We continued up the trail for another 2 miles or so to the end of Sisar Canyon Road where it meets with Nordhoff Ridge Road. There is a peak to the left (use the topo map) that offers spectacular 360 degree views. Because of the dry weather there were no streams to cross. Directions were a little wonky. Enter Thatcher school and keep right. Drive about 1/4 mile. There is a handful of parking spaces near the trailhead.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

This is a great trail. It offers sweeping views of the valley and the scenery varies from dry and rocky to cool shady areas. The trail starts out flat for a few hundred feet, then cuts a steep and steady path up the side of the mountain. The gain is 1800 feet over 2.5 miles, so that means it's a straight climb up with small flat sections ever so often. It's a good training trail for some of the hikes in the San Gabriels.