Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Hopalong Cassidy Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Palm Desert, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,725 feet Route Type: Loop

Hiking trail open year round, no dogs allowed. This is a moderate at the start for a quarter mile then it becomes demanding for a mile up the summit of Bump and Grind where it ends. This is and exercise trail, more demanding than Bump and Grid. When you complete Herb Jefferies. Make a loop by descending at Bump and Grind and Mike Schuler should take you back to where you parked your car. History: This trail is a tribute to the legendary Bronze Buckaroo, Herb Jeffries, a film star and recording artist who, in the era of popular western movies, created a cowboy hero for African Americans. Mr. Jeffries, a former Palm Desert resident, performed and spoke at the trail dedication on April 2, 2005.

great hike with a good view of the balley

Connector trail from Hop-Along-Cassidy to Art Smith.

Great moderate hike with long, windy stretches and panoramic views of The Valley. Your reward at the top is reaching a cross installed by a Christian group which overlooks and protects us from harm.

Awesome views tough but amazing

Ran this trail from the Art Cassidy trailhead, ie from South to North. Great trail that gets better as you descend, quite technical and steep in places, definitely a challenging run. The map here only shows a half route, the trail continues far further south than shown here. The section of the route not shown is actually the best part.

Lost of hikers , very busy which makes it sketchy in same areas. Technical with solid climbing areas. Fun downhill!

The map is not correct. This trail ends where it connects to the Art Smith trail. It's much longer.

nice hike. it took 2:45 at a fairly good pace. I've hiked this three times. each time I only saw one other hiker until reaching the cross so a nice bit of isolation considering it's an in City hike. recorded at 7.2 miles and just over 1500 feet of gain. I started at art Smith trail head and headed north towards the cross.

I ran the trail this morning and back. 8.2

Thu Feb 21 2019

Very busy trail once you get away from the shopping area you wind around the mountains and get some good views

Sat Jan 19 2019

A very technical trail run but fun and beautiful! I started at the Art Smith Trailhead and ran to the beginning of the Bump and Grind Trailhead. A 9.5 mile run in total. The run from AS to the Cross is tough and desolate, but once you get to the Cross you will see a ton of people after that and the trails become much easier.

Wed Jan 09 2019

Great views of the valley. If your not used to hiking this can be tuff. But worth it. I would do it again

Sun Dec 30 2018

Mostly easy walk hike with some ups and downs. Half mile at the end is up, but not to hard.

Mon Dec 24 2018

Great pre Christmas run. Good for spartan training. Lots of opportunities for twisting ankles. A little busy at the start. Well marked trail and there was a drinking fountain on the way back. (Start of the Cross Loop). I probably should have brought water.

Sat Nov 17 2018

This is a nice suburban trail with views of the Coachella Valley throughout. The three star rating is only relative to the many, many better trails you can find in this area. This trail is also appropriate for mountain biking. We started out at the trailhead on Painters Place behind the Target and walked 8 miles out and back. You never really lose touch with the urban valley or the hum of traffic, but it does have the advantage of easy access. Seems like a lot of people do this after work. There is a good long steady climb, nothing too steep or treacherous. About two thirds of the way to the turnaround you pass the illuminated cross up on the high point. Then the trail turns downhill towards the very exclusive Stone Eagle golf club. Looks like very challenging golfing if you like that kind of thing. There are rolling greens and mega mansions to look at. Almost at the end the trail drops down into a little canyon with a small natural oasis. Turn back around when you see the road. Voila!

Sat Oct 06 2018

Great trail. Great for trail running. Especially if you want to work on hills.

Thu Mar 29 2018

Many different views of the valley.

Fri Mar 09 2018

I walked this trail today. Started at Art Smith Trail Head and proceeded in to approximately 1.2 miles to the junction then continued on the Hop Along Cassidy trail to finish at the Bump and Grind. Total distance is 9.5 miles. At a good pace it was 3 hours and 15 minutes for me. The trail is great. Beautiful views lots of changing slopes along the way. Highly recommend a camelback full of water for the trip and maybe some snacks. Along the route you will pass just along the eastern edge of the Stone Eagle Golf course, and then right by the Cross. After that the trail ends at the Bump and Grind just at the base of the steep ridge climb. Definitely worth the time although I would recommend this only be done be at least semi-experienced trail hikers due to its length and some of the grades to climb.

Sun Feb 04 2018

We hiked 5 miles - in/out. Didn’t take the loop. Moderate hike and beautiful vista. Very busy - but it’s February and a Sunday. Bike, running and hiking. Very pet friendly. Bring water and start the hike by at least 8a.

Fri Feb 02 2018

We did this trail from about 9-11 am. It was hot but not unbearable and seemed to have more cool shady spots than the Bump and Grind. We enjoyed the pitch and the overall hike far more than the Bump and Grind. It was busy and narrow in many sections and we had to get over to let folks pass but it was a fun, flowing trail. Next time I would bring my hiking poles just to keep my balance a bit more sure on the narrow ledge trail spots. Lots of dogs on this trail. We went from the Bump and Grind behind the Target store, branched off onto Hop Along Cassidy, and then up to the Cross trail and back down the Hop Along Cassidy. The last bit after the Cross trail was very quiet and no dogs. It did get fairly steep at times, but manageable. The trail for us finished up near the private golf course, Stone Eagle, and we had to walk out of the security controlled area to meet our ride. (a short walk down towards Hwy 74). We really enjoyed this trail and I would do it again before I would do the Bump and Grind again. There are a few spots where you can get off and do a shorter version of the trail such as the Gabby Hayes branch.

Sun Jan 21 2018

I started on Painters Path, behind the Target. You can go right to the "Bump and Grind" or left along Hop along Cassidy. I was trail running so I found it a great trail until about 2 miles past the Cross....I did about 5.5 miles and turned back for 2 reasons. 1) I hadn't seen anyone and was running alone ( well some golfers on the course) @ 2) the trail kept deteriorating until it was a scramble on the downhill....needs some maintenance. Turned back and enjoyed it until I made a misturn....ended up on a Sandy path....ran along back to the start.

Sun Apr 23 2017

Very fun hike, moderate difficulty, very scenic with lots of amazing views. Incline gave the trail variety. Rocks are strewn scarcely along the trail. Overall is a five star!

Fri Feb 10 2017

Super chill.

Thu Mar 03 2016

I started at the Art Smith trailhead on hiway 74 at 1000 feet above sea level. I ran about 6 km then back to trailhead. Truly special and memorable couple of hours. This has lots of elevation change and some very challenging footing...... This trail is not easy or moderate.... This is difficult, but worth it! Despite the spectacular conditions I went about an hour without seeing another person. Now that I have run the gorgeous southern 40% of Hopalong and also the northern 30%, it's time for me to arrange a shuttle and run the entirety, probably north to south. This website should do a better job of "defining" the trails.

Thu Dec 31 2015

What a n amazing trail and close to the city! Beautiful views and pretty good workout! My family stumbled onto this trail and I'm soooo glad that we did!

Thu Jun 25 2015

Love this trail very nice scenery of Big Horn country club. You can continue to Cathedral Canyon and onto Palm Springs.

Sat Jan 25 2014

Love the Herb Jefferies Trail lower part, for my morning and evening walks. A nice little park along the way to freshen up a bit. The only down fall to this location are those who do not wish to follow the leash law. I have been rushed along this trail by a German Shepard not on a leash. Just this morning there we're several large dogs to include a doberman not on a leash. I do wish they would do something about this The signs are posted but the people refuse to acknowledge.

Sun Apr 07 2013

this trail is incredibly arid from mid April probably until end of September. Desolate, open and serene. need good sunscreen and plenty of water. Dusty and hot!