Hopalong Cassidy Trail

Hopalong Cassidy Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palm Desert, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

Hiking trail open year round, no dogs allowed. This is a moderate at the start for a quarter mile then it becomes demanding for a mile up the summit of Bump and Grind where it ends. This is and exercise trail, more demanding than Bump and Grid. When you complete Herb Jefferies. Make a loop by descending at Bump and Grind and Mike Schuler should take you back to where you parked your car. History: This trail is a tribute to the legendary Bronze Buckaroo, Herb Jeffries, a film star and recording artist who, in the era of popular western movies, created a cowboy hero for African Americans. Mr. Jeffries, a former Palm Desert resident, performed and spoke at the trail dedication on April 2, 2005.

Many different views of the valley.

I walked this trail today. Started at Art Smith Trail Head and proceeded in to approximately 1.2 miles to the junction then continued on the Hop Along Cassidy trail to finish at the Bump and Grind. Total distance is 9.5 miles. At a good pace it was 3 hours and 15 minutes for me.

The trail is great. Beautiful views lots of changing slopes along the way. Highly recommend a camelback full of water for the trip and maybe some snacks.

Along the route you will pass just along the eastern edge of the Stone Eagle Golf course, and then right by the Cross. After that the trail ends at the Bump and Grind just at the base of the steep ridge climb.

Definitely worth the time although I would recommend this only be done be at least semi-experienced trail hikers due to its length and some of the grades to climb.

We hiked 5 miles - in/out. Didn’t take the loop. Moderate hike and beautiful vista. Very busy - but it’s February and a Sunday. Bike, running and hiking. Very pet friendly. Bring water and start the hike by at least 8a.

We did this trail from about 9-11 am. It was hot but not unbearable and seemed to have more cool shady spots than the Bump and Grind. We enjoyed the pitch and the overall hike far more than the Bump and Grind. It was busy and narrow in many sections and we had to get over to let folks pass but it was a fun, flowing trail. Next time I would bring my hiking poles just to keep my balance a bit more sure on the narrow ledge trail spots. Lots of dogs on this trail. We went from the Bump and Grind behind the Target store, branched off onto Hop Along Cassidy, and then up to the Cross trail and back down the Hop Along Cassidy. The last bit after the Cross trail was very quiet and no dogs. It did get fairly steep at times, but manageable. The trail for us finished up near the private golf course, Stone Eagle, and we had to walk out of the security controlled area to meet our ride. (a short walk down towards Hwy 74). We really enjoyed this trail and I would do it again before I would do the Bump and Grind again. There are a few spots where you can get off and do a shorter version of the trail such as the Gabby Hayes branch.

I started on Painters Path, behind the Target. You can go right to the "Bump and Grind" or left along Hop along Cassidy.

I was trail running so I found it a great trail until about 2 miles past the Cross....I did about 5.5 miles and turned back for 2 reasons. 1) I hadn't seen anyone and was running alone ( well some golfers on the course) @ 2) the trail kept deteriorating until it was a scramble on the downhill....needs some maintenance.

Turned back and enjoyed it until I made a misturn....ended up on a Sandy path....ran along back to the start.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Very fun hike, moderate difficulty, very scenic with lots of amazing views. Incline gave the trail variety. Rocks are strewn scarcely along the trail. Overall is a five star!

Friday, February 10, 2017

Super chill.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

I started at the Art Smith trailhead on hiway 74 at 1000 feet above sea level. I ran about 6 km then back to trailhead. Truly special and memorable couple of hours. This has lots of elevation change and some very challenging footing...... This trail is not easy or moderate.... This is difficult, but worth it! Despite the spectacular conditions I went about an hour without seeing another person.

Now that I have run the gorgeous southern 40% of Hopalong and also the northern 30%, it's time for me to arrange a shuttle and run the entirety, probably north to south.

This website should do a better job of "defining" the trails.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

What a n amazing trail and close to the city! Beautiful views and pretty good workout! My family stumbled onto this trail and I'm soooo glad that we did!

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Love this trail very nice scenery of Big Horn country club. You can continue to Cathedral Canyon and onto Palm Springs.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Love the Herb Jefferies Trail lower part, for my morning and evening walks. A nice little park along the way to freshen up a bit. The only down fall to this location are those who do not wish to follow the leash law. I have been rushed along this trail by a German Shepard not on a leash. Just this morning there we're several large dogs to include a doberman not on a leash. I do wish they would do something about this The signs are posted but the people refuse to acknowledge.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

this trail is incredibly arid from mid April probably until end of September. Desolate, open and serene. need good sunscreen and plenty of water. Dusty and hot!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Great hike. Some steep switchbacks about half way in but not severe. As you hike along the golf course, the trail goes into an area under development, stay along the golf course fence and you will pick it up again in a few hundred feet.