Hood Mountain Trail to Panoramic Ranch Trail Loop is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Rosa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike, great views. Did this hike last Thursday. Lower Johnson Ridge was closed on the way up, used Orchard Meadow trail to cut over and complete the hike up Hood mountain summit.

My favorite Sonoma County Trail. Difficult, beautiful, not busy, and my dog gets to come!

We are so lucky this type of terrain is in our backyard!! Challenging up hill that really packs a punch as you wind up the mountain to the top. Super beautiful but also so sad to see the fire devastation so heavily on these trails. Packed a punch in 6 miles but worth every step.

I backpacked on the summit and it was awesome! great view, a big open space to set up your tent. It was a semi short hike, most of it was up hill. It took me less than two hours to complete. The only down side might be that water was very limited. there was a small creek in the beginning of the trail but that was all I saw.

I would rate this more moderate than hard there are a couple steep sections.
There is also a creek crossing, I am not sure about the rainy season? The pond trail section is closed but easy to bypass it.
Overall a super nice trail, I measured it almost 8 miles of beauty.
You can see San Francisco and the bay bridge from gunsight rock.

Not my dream hike experience; if it’s during hot weather, prepare for mostly uphill and I wanted more natural trails but to start it’s on an asphalt road for a while. It’s slow and hard going but perhaps worth it when you reach your destination. Upon leaving your knees really get pummeled so if you have knee issues- skip this!

awesome hike! it took me a total of 2hrs to do this! I have to say it was my 1st time hiking hood mountain and almost towards the end getting to the summit of Hood was very intense uphill climb. I was challanged, and I had to stop once. Bring a water jug for sure.
I started at 2pm and exactly at 402pm I finished:)
temperature was 70. it was really cloudy/smoky so I couldn't get a good view of the City. I am for sure doing this hike again. I love this challange.

I absolutely loved this hike, and chose a perfect day to tackle it! Look for milder temps, there are some wooded areas but also a fire road that leaves you blistering in the sun. Most of the way up will leave you excited for whats about to come next, but people aren’t kidding when they say the last 10 minutes is a steep climb. Regardless, you MUST make it all the way to the top. If you are feeling like having an adventure, you can continue through, which leads you off towards bald mountain. 2 mountains in a day!

Did this hike 2 years ago with my wife and her fam. Gunsite is worth it for the view. I’m in decent shape and didn’t really have any trouble with it.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Shaded much of the way, which I love. Panoramic views from Gunsight Rock. The Summit isn't what makes this worth it - it's definitely the overlook at Gunsight!

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Great hike to bring your dog!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Got here around 7:30am on a Sunday morning on the Pythiann Trail. Hiked to Gunsight Rock in about 1 hour and 30 min with my party. We took plenty of break due to the inclines. The inclines are tough if you are not used to pain but doable. The way back was alot easier. One thing that makes this trip worth it is if you see San Francisco in the distance. We did not see SF on this day due to the cloudy distance. Overall, I would hike this again just to see SF.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Great hike cant see San Francisco perfectly but still a beautiful view. Make sure to bring lots of water even if you have to take a heavy bag. Also, the end towards to view is very very steep. Manageable but very hard so shows with good traction is important.

Also you gotta pay for parking ;)

Monday, June 12, 2017

I took off work a little early on Friday, and went from Pythian Road trailhead to Gunsight Rock. It had been years since I had done this walk, so I was a little intimidated - hahaa! Although there were a few steep stretches, most of the uphill was gradual. The view from Gunsight Rock is gorgeous!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Lovely trail. Not that difficult really until you get to the last steep stretch to the top .and even that is doable ( we are three 70 year old ladies ...so really anybody can do it !)
Evelyne

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Amazing. Bring a little snack to enjoy at the very top. This trail is fairly steep the majority of the way up but so worth it.

Friday, March 03, 2017

This is not your average hike. I just moved here and while I love a hard hike I didn't anticipate the gradient here. I came to Hood because it is dog friendly. We started up the trail and after an hour decided to keep going. My dog was still pulling even though he's a small 19lb fella. We reached the summit but the gradient gets steep again there. Prep yourself for a 2.5 hour hike if you're strong! The views are worth every gasp though and if you reach the summit do not head back without making it the extra ten mins to Gunsight Overlook!

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Love it. Low traffic, challenging trail with a great outlook. Make sure you go to the outlook though ... we got lost and looped around. Should have used AllTrails...

Sunday, November 06, 2016

had a great date day hike with the husband here. it had some tough spots but in all a great hike !!

Monday, October 03, 2016

This is a full on workout for this out of shape hiker. But a great family day with my wife and two of my four kids. Plenty to see and the trail is pretty well marked.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Great hike! Steep, but worth the climb to gunsight rock!!! Beautiful views.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Decent day hike, definitely recommend going all the way to the gun site overlook, great views of the valley.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Challenging hike for me, I'm 67,but well worth the effort. Wonderful views.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

great exercise. there are deer and mountain lions. I don't have much survival instincts so I wasn't very prepared for seeing mountain lions. I wish I would have known there were some in the area so i could research and be better prepared. i went on the goodspeed trail and saw it within the first mile. Be prepared yall. also, It was over 90° & it was pretty rough. I would suggest going in that heat.

Friday, July 01, 2016

Good exercise and dogs are allowed but not my favorite of Hood Mountain

Friday, July 01, 2016

Have done many hikes at Hood Mt, favorites are gunsight rock and grandmother oak on to Red Hill

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The majority of this trail is a steep ascent through heavy forest with no views. It's not particularly enjoyable as larger parts are just fire road. The old homestead meadow is a nice break spot. The gem is that view from Gunsight. The extension from the summit of Mount Hood (which is treed and has no views) out to Gunsight is rocky and tricky in spots. It's well worth it though for the view.

Monday, April 18, 2016

I'm a regular trail runner and I did this trail on a relatively moderate temp day. It was too hard to actually run up. There is a lot of trail mixing with road at first. Once you get about 2 miles up, it's a lot of nice wooded trails and much easier to run.

Thursday, October 08, 2015

My husband and I hiked hood mountain we had a great hike it has a nice view! It wasn't too bad we consider it moderate

Monday, October 05, 2015