Hood Mountain Trail to Panoramic Ranch Trail Loop [CLOSED]

Hood Mountain Trail to Panoramic Ranch Trail Loop [CLOSED] is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Rosa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2047 feet

closed

Did this hike 2 years ago with my wife and her fam. Gunsite is worth it for the view. I’m in decent shape and didn’t really have any trouble with it.

Shaded much of the way, which I love. Panoramic views from Gunsight Rock. The Summit isn't what makes this worth it - it's definitely the overlook at Gunsight!

Great hike to bring your dog!

Got here around 7:30am on a Sunday morning on the Pythiann Trail. Hiked to Gunsight Rock in about 1 hour and 30 min with my party. We took plenty of break due to the inclines. The inclines are tough if you are not used to pain but doable. The way back was alot easier. One thing that makes this trip worth it is if you see San Francisco in the distance. We did not see SF on this day due to the cloudy distance. Overall, I would hike this again just to see SF.

Great hike cant see San Francisco perfectly but still a beautiful view. Make sure to bring lots of water even if you have to take a heavy bag. Also, the end towards to view is very very steep. Manageable but very hard so shows with good traction is important.

Also you gotta pay for parking ;)

Monday, June 12, 2017

I took off work a little early on Friday, and went from Pythian Road trailhead to Gunsight Rock. It had been years since I had done this walk, so I was a little intimidated - hahaa! Although there were a few steep stretches, most of the uphill was gradual. The view from Gunsight Rock is gorgeous!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Lovely trail. Not that difficult really until you get to the last steep stretch to the top .and even that is doable ( we are three 70 year old ladies ...so really anybody can do it !)
Evelyne

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Amazing. Bring a little snack to enjoy at the very top. This trail is fairly steep the majority of the way up but so worth it.

Friday, March 03, 2017

This is not your average hike. I just moved here and while I love a hard hike I didn't anticipate the gradient here. I came to Hood because it is dog friendly. We started up the trail and after an hour decided to keep going. My dog was still pulling even though he's a small 19lb fella. We reached the summit but the gradient gets steep again there. Prep yourself for a 2.5 hour hike if you're strong! The views are worth every gasp though and if you reach the summit do not head back without making it the extra ten mins to Gunsight Overlook!

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Love it. Low traffic, challenging trail with a great outlook. Make sure you go to the outlook though ... we got lost and looped around. Should have used AllTrails...

Sunday, November 06, 2016

had a great date day hike with the husband here. it had some tough spots but in all a great hike !!

Monday, October 03, 2016

This is a full on workout for this out of shape hiker. But a great family day with my wife and two of my four kids. Plenty to see and the trail is pretty well marked.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Great hike! Steep, but worth the climb to gunsight rock!!! Beautiful views.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Decent day hike, definitely recommend going all the way to the gun site overlook, great views of the valley.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Challenging hike for me, I'm 67,but well worth the effort. Wonderful views.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

great exercise. there are deer and mountain lions. I don't have much survival instincts so I wasn't very prepared for seeing mountain lions. I wish I would have known there were some in the area so i could research and be better prepared. i went on the goodspeed trail and saw it within the first mile. Be prepared yall. also, It was over 90° & it was pretty rough. I would suggest going in that heat.

Friday, July 01, 2016

Good exercise and dogs are allowed but not my favorite of Hood Mountain

Friday, July 01, 2016

Have done many hikes at Hood Mt, favorites are gunsight rock and grandmother oak on to Red Hill

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The majority of this trail is a steep ascent through heavy forest with no views. It's not particularly enjoyable as larger parts are just fire road. The old homestead meadow is a nice break spot. The gem is that view from Gunsight. The extension from the summit of Mount Hood (which is treed and has no views) out to Gunsight is rocky and tricky in spots. It's well worth it though for the view.

Monday, April 18, 2016

I'm a regular trail runner and I did this trail on a relatively moderate temp day. It was too hard to actually run up. There is a lot of trail mixing with road at first. Once you get about 2 miles up, it's a lot of nice wooded trails and much easier to run.

Thursday, October 08, 2015

My husband and I hiked hood mountain we had a great hike it has a nice view! It wasn't too bad we consider it moderate

Monday, October 05, 2015

Tough! Great views.

Monday, September 14, 2015

I'm hooked! other trails just aren't enough after conquering this beast. bring plenty of water.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Amazing view from Gunsight Rock and a fun, challenging climb to get there!

Monday, June 08, 2015

Surprising that there is no trail on alltrails.com for the hike to Gunsight Rock in Hood Mountain Regional Park, Santa Rosa. There isn't much shade on this trail so bring lots of water and a snack or two, and make sure you are headed up to the summit on a clear day. We headed out in April and it was a little cloudy at the top but you could see all of Santa Rosa and Sonoma and all the way out to where the ocean met the sky! 2000 vertical feet to reach the summit, and then head about another .75 miles to Gunsight Rock!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Started trail from Pythian Rd. ( SO.CO. parks pass) 6.9 miles round trip to summit, 2000 vertical feet of climbing . Once you reach summit continue onto Gunsight Rock for unbelievable views of Santa Rosa and towards Sonoma and beyond to the bay. Water/snacks are a must!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

This is not a moderate trail. I would rate this right up there with the Dipsea.
Perhaps because the first and last part end on 1/4 of asphaut walking. I still recommend this hike, the views are specatcler once you get out to gunsite rock!

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Hiked from Los Alamos lot. Took Hood Mountain trail to summit, there is a creek you need to cross, so be prepared to take your shoes off until water levels go down. Took Summit trail back- be wary if you have a dog, steep incline, lots of boulders and granite- was worried my canine pal would tear up his pads! Several areas had fallen trees and there was a dry creek bed filled with boulders that I had to lift the 70 lb retriever over! Stick to Hood Mountain trail if you are traveling with your 4 legged friend.

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Started trail from Pythian road. 6.9 miles round trip to summit, 2000 vertical feet of climbing . Once you reach summit go the extra distance to Gun sight for unbelievable views of Sonoma. Dogs welcome, just bring plenty of water- this is a work out!!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Beautiful view one of the best in Sonoma county. Defiantly worth the pain the next day!