Hood Mountain and Panoramic Ranch Trail Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(198)
Hood Mountain Regional Park

Hood Mountain and Panoramic Ranch Trail Loop is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Santa Rosa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,047 feet Route Type: Loop

Tough hike and great exercise, but the directions were confusing at multiple points on the trail. We ended up asking some other hikers for directions and they were confused as well. Generally well maintained but some sections were overgrown.

fee

Great trail in the morning. Some parts are overgrown, but as long as you do a tick check, you should be fine. $7 parking fee. Poison oak on the trail (just be careful, easy to avoid).

Amazing trail, took my dog and we loved it. Definitely a climb and quite steep at some points. View from the top was amazing so worth the climb! No ticks found (yet). Really recommend this hike as a must do!

The description says "Note: As of July 2019, parts of the Pond Trail and Lower Johnston Trail is CLOSED. Please check with the park page for more information." I hiked this yesterday without problem. From the Pythian trail head up Lower Johnston, walked by Blue Heron Pond, then Upper Johnston. Very nice hike.

Dog friendly when starting from Pythion trailhead. Very nice views of Sonoma county and even the Golden Gate Bridge on a clear day!

Steep in the beginning and end really nice trail. Great views

closed

Couple of major trails are closed on Hood Mountain. Pond Trail and the uppermost section of Lower Johnston Trail. Still recovering from Oct 2017 fires. Also watch for some deep mud near Orchard Meadow.

Thu May 30 2019

Great hard hike! View at the end makes it all worth it. Lots of wild flowers to look at. Muddy in some areas.

Wed Apr 24 2019

It’s not easy to reach the summit, but it’s fun and worth trying. The view from the top of Hood Mtn is spectacular. I’m a 79 year old male and I made it so I think, with a little determination and taking it easy, almost anyone can

Sat Apr 13 2019

Great hike! Very steep for the first .3 miles and gains elevation quicker than expected. Beautiful views even though we didn’t make it to the top! Definitely for an experienced hiker. 4 stars because the trails are kinda tricky to stick by, we stayed on the steep fire road the entire time and didn’t notice the off-shoot trails that were milder.

Sat Apr 13 2019

Trail was a lot of fun! We were backpack training and enjoyed the terrain. A few muddy spots but easy to navigate. Trails are well marked and cleared out. Definetly a nice steep climb but the views are worth it. The park is still recovering from the big fire so expect to see burnt trees and vegetation.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Sun Jan 27 2019

From Pythian Road Parking Lot to Gun Sight Rock. A few down trees and some moist spots but trail is in good condition. Note the spur to Gun Sight Rock is different from what is shown on All Trails. At the summit, follow the sign to the Summit and 0.5 miles later you’ll see a new trail to GSR. GSR offers one of the top 5 best views on Sonoma County. Enjoy!

Sat Jan 12 2019

This was my 1st time here. I liked this trail and the steep climb. Only giving it 3 stars because I like the other 2 trails that summit Hood Mountain a bit more, which I will give each of those 4 stars. Also a slight downgrade because of the portion on paved road and some of the side trails are shut (possibly due to fire). Probably being too harsh on the rating, because I would love to go back.

Mon Nov 26 2018

This place is great I loved it when I came the down hill experience was fantastic but the way up you’d wish you didn’t go but other than that I give this place a 10/10 amazing

Tue Nov 06 2018

Great hike, great views. Did this hike last Thursday. Lower Johnson Ridge was closed on the way up, used Orchard Meadow trail to cut over and complete the hike up Hood mountain summit.

Thu Nov 01 2018

My favorite Sonoma County Trail. Difficult, beautiful, not busy, and my dog gets to come!

Sat Oct 27 2018

We are so lucky this type of terrain is in our backyard!! Challenging up hill that really packs a punch as you wind up the mountain to the top. Super beautiful but also so sad to see the fire devastation so heavily on these trails. Packed a punch in 6 miles but worth every step.

Sat Oct 13 2018

I backpacked on the summit and it was awesome! great view, a big open space to set up your tent. It was a semi short hike, most of it was up hill. It took me less than two hours to complete. The only down side might be that water was very limited. there was a small creek in the beginning of the trail but that was all I saw.

Sat Sep 15 2018

I would rate this more moderate than hard there are a couple steep sections. There is also a creek crossing, I am not sure about the rainy season? The pond trail section is closed but easy to bypass it. Overall a super nice trail, I measured it almost 8 miles of beauty. You can see San Francisco and the bay bridge from gunsight rock.

Tue Sep 11 2018

Not my dream hike experience; if it’s during hot weather, prepare for mostly uphill and I wanted more natural trails but to start it’s on an asphalt road for a while. It’s slow and hard going but perhaps worth it when you reach your destination. Upon leaving your knees really get pummeled so if you have knee issues- skip this!