Honeymoon Lake Trail

Honeymoon Lake Trail is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Scheelite, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

I was trying to get to Honeymoon Lake to fish, unfortunately the bridge was flooded out over Pine Creek and I couldn’t get past it. I Don’t think I would rate this as moderate much of the trail is extremely rocky due to avalanches. I would rate it as hard due to the number of switch backs that are difficult to walk due to the excessive rocky trails.

I go backpacking around here almost every year, and the Pine Creek Trailhead is one of the less crowded trails in the area. The first part of the hike is steep, with a quick elevation gain and a lot of switchbacks. It can get really hot and there's not much shade on the initial portion, so it's a good idea to bring a lot of water and start early. Once you get to about 10,000ft it's a pretty easy hike to Honeymoon lake. From Honeymoon, you can go on to Pine Creek, Italy pass, or a number of other lakes in the area!

Sunday, October 09, 2016