Homestead-Blue Ridge Trail

Homestead-Blue Ridge Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Winters, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

6 minutes ago

Good incline. if you really push it self you can get a fantastic workout on this trail.

Great loop trail. Views of lake Berryessa , and Tahoe peaks when the sky is clear.

Great workout. Strenuous during summer season. Bring extra water. Warnings mention heatstroke. The trail itself is exposed to elements for much of the ridge portion. That being said, it’s an absolutely great hike with surprisingly beautiful views and alternating terrain. Counter clockwise path gives the best views. Would definitely recommend.

I was in shock when i finally got to the top of the ridge!!! This trail was absolutely beautiful and the overlook was well worth the 45 min trip there. It gets very crowded so try to go very early.

Best hike I have found between Davis and Fairfield area.

We followed the advice from a previous review and lucked out. If you start left and loop around clockwise you will thank yourself. The first 1.5 miles are challenging and steps stairs to climb but once you get to 3 miles you have amazing views and it’s much easier. Definitely recommend high socks because the trails are narrow with lots of plants, sunscreen as it is not a shaded hike after the 1.5 mile, and plenty of water. The trail is marked thoroughly which was very much appreciated!

Tough hike but worth the beautiful views. The landscape was so cool as well, going through different terrains.

Hiked Blue Ridge to Homestead (clockwise) in 2 hours and 50 minutes. Great workout and views were spectacular!

I did this hike on Saturday with a nice overcast. I went clockwise and it was quite steep during mile #2. At the top it was rocky which made it even more fun. I did Mitchell Creek to Diablo Peak the previous Saturday. While Diablo was more challenging due to length, this hike had me huffing and puffing due to its steep inclines. I finished it in 1:53 but that was from running every chance I had to do so. Really fun workout and great views! :)

Very difficult hike but the view is amazing. . start early as the sun is a killer. take lots of water, hat, sunscreen and snacks. if u have hiking sticks take them. won't be doing this in the summer no shade at all, spring is the best time.

Despite all the warnings about it being strenuous, I went anyway. I did it, the whole loop. Go Me!! This trail was the hardest I have done thus far. I'm pretty sure I saw Jesus twice and the vultures on the ridge were circling me like i was wounded prey. Now, with that being said I am not in the best shape and most "moderate" hikes are challenging for me. I recommend lots of water and a hiking stick. Sunscreen is a must as a majority of the trail is exposed to the sun. Also, I recommend going counterclockwise. Good Luck.

Trail had some absolutely beautiful views however was extremely steep at several points and was quite strenuous. My group was experienced and we have done a fair amount of hiking - we all felt it was probably the most difficult hike we have ever done. if you do this hike, bring extra water, count on climbing over rocks and plan extra time. It is not for the faint of heart!

Absolutely amazing trail to hike! Recommend bringing lots of water and snacks with you. Great if you want to hike solo or with a group. Met a lot of awesome and friendly people on the trail. Will definitely be hiking it again soon.

very steep and a great workout. Did this trail with my dad and 3 year old daughter, had a ton of fun. The view is beautiful and the arduous trip up the mountain.

Hike clockwise to have lake views as you hike and easier descent. Be careful of poison oak

Hike was great. I would rate this as moderate to hard. Weather was so awesome today.

This was an intense hike up a mountain! It’s definitely a strenuous hike—especially if you haven’t hiked “up” a mountain lately. Very narrow path on one part of the loop. Lots of poison oak—wear long pants! Beautiful spring flowers peppered the trail. Lovely views of Lake Berryessa. ❤️ It took my group and me 5-hrs to complete the loop, but we were the slowest group out there, stopped for lots of photos, and sat and had a snack at the peak for ~20 mins. Enjoy!

This trail was more intense than I expected, and surprisingly warm given that I did it in the winter! Stunning views. If you do the whole loop, you end up going up and down the ridge line. Sometimes the trail got pretty rocky but there are red markers all along it. We went counter clockwise, and ended up taking the stairs down to where we parked, and I preferred this more than having to go up them. We descended in the warm afternoon and there was plenty of shade cover that way down. Going up was steeper and more exposed. It took us 4 hours including photo and water/snack breaks, and will definitely be returning.

Amazing 4.5 mile hike!!!! There’s 3 miles of pure sun! Take fluids. Pack sodium. Snacks. Bring a mini umbrella if you can’t bear being in that hot sun while climbing up. It was 78 degrees when I went and it was pretty brutal. They have to rescue so many people each year due to heat stroke. Just be careful, please! But enjoy that view! Stunning. Beautiful. Worth it!

Gets really hard on the ridge side of the trail. But the view is amazing

Try to go early if you can because there is rarely any shade at all. It’s an uphill battle the whole way so be prepared wear a hat, take waters the whole deal. Took us about an hour and a half going up to the top but we kept stopping might be able to finish faster if u can go nonstop. I’ve been on many hikes and this has been the hardest.

Must be in shape or you will pay the price. Great workout, uphill challenges... rock obsticles before the shade. Must start early and have water n snacks.

Great trail, step-ish climb on both side going up or coming down. Trail is kept maintained pretty well. There are a few low hanging trees but all it good on a hike! Probably not a great spot mid summer to the heat but spring and fall for sure!

Really fun. Going in early spring really is best because in the summer it would be way too exposed and hot. We took Blue ridge/Annie’s trail up, and Homestead back down so we had the stairs at the end. Views over the lake were very nice, and the trail coming back is so cool! I did see a lot of poison oak so just be aware of what you’re touching.

I hiked this loop trail on St. Joseph’s
Day, and I couldn’t have asked for better conditions. If you have the chance to hike this trail, now is a great time to do it (once it stops raining). The mountains are dressed in green with pops of color from wildflowers and blossoming trees. The butterflies and bees were out as well enjoying the last day of winter. Look for the trailhead on the back end of the larger parking lot. I recommend taking the Blue Ridge Trail going up and the Homestead Trail coming down. Thus, when you get to the intersection of the two trails shortly after you emerge from the tunnel, follow the Blue Ridge Trail on the right. Then, you will have to cross the creek; head towards the trail marker sign on the opposite bank. Going this route, I would classify this hike as a solid moderate. Budget 4 hours for this hike if you go at a leisurely pace, stopping occasionally to take photos or a sip of water (bring at least 40 oz on a mild spring day; you may want to bring more water if you go during the heat of summer). Also, start the hike early so that you can do much of the uphill portion (without much shade) while you’re still fresh and in the cool light of morning. Then, you can reach the scenic view of Lake Berryessa quicker and enjoy the shade and calming sound of flowing water as you take the Homestead Trail back to the parking lot.

This is a great and scenic hike. I would recommend doing early in the day before it gets hot as others have said. At least half of the hike is completely exposed with no shade, which provides for some great views, but it also gets hot. I would also recommend taking the trail clockwise so you are walking in to the views while you are on top of the ridge, instead of away from them.

Outstanding day. Started with a slow walk up the north end. Once on the ridge it was on. Like riding a dirt bike on a mountain side. Get off your but and do it. Push your self. Get out of your comfort zone.

I've hiked this trail countless times!! It's a good hike to get your heart pumping, but it can get crowded when the weather is nice. bring water and dress accordingly because there is no shade when your on the ridge.

Good hike, not enough shade. Wouldn’t do it in the summer time, made that mistake and had to turn back. Overall it was great and so close to home!

I did it clockwise as well. Some of those stairs are quite steep and I’m glad we went up them and not down them. None of the reviews thus far have mentioned the copious amounts of poison oak. It is truly everywhere on this trail. I wouldn’t bring a dog for that reason alone, unless you’re not allergic. Beautiful views and wildflowers. Start early for best weather and to avoid crowds.