Homer and Deerheart Lakes Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(10)
Lassen National Forest

Homer and Deerheart Lakes Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Greenville, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 915 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I grew up in these mountains and this is still one of my favorite sites. The map has you stop way too soon on a graded road. Keep going up the mountain and when you hit the end, you’re at the trail head. Still had some snow on it in mid June, which is always fun to play in but that meant we had to brush hog our way to the water (which I’m completely ok with).

Sun Aug 19 2018

No access to trailhead indicated in the app. 9 miles in from 89, unpaved, rocky, bumpy & narrow. Parked at hairpin where road is blocked off. Took hiking trail (not the road) from there. Homer Lake is 2 miles in, but trail a bit overgrown with thorny bushes. Lake is pretty.

Fri Jun 30 2017

Thia is a trail great for a weekend hike also a great hike for beginners, nice view of Walker lake or Mountain Meadows Reservoir, (whatever you wish to call it) by Westwood

Fri Sep 23 2016

The first lake you encounter is Homer Lake. It plays a role in local Maidu mythology, so the Forest Service blocked the access road according to tribal leaders request. From the road end at Homer the trail continues to Hidden and Deerheart Lakes. National Forest land. Open to camping and backpacking.

Sat Jun 25 2016

The road was blocked off so we could not get to the actual starting point of the hike. We ended up walking the 2 miles in to the starting point but the peak was still a long ways off. However, there was a small lake nearby that had a trail leading to it and was a nice spot for lunch.

Mon Feb 02 2015

My Husband and I hiked the Ridge on Superbowl Sunday. For such a mild winter there was quite a bit of snow on the trail. It took us about 3 hours to reach the peak. Beautiful views of the valleys and surrounding mountains. We hit the peak at 3 p.m and found the weather to be warm with just a little wind. We were able to see Lake Almanor and Mountain Meadows Reservoir in Westwood clearly along with the town of Greenville. The downside of the hike was finding empty beer/soda cans and spent gunshot casings left from previous visitors. We are firm believers of "leave no trace" . I consider myself a novice hiker and found the climb to the peak easy to achieve. The road/trail was all uphill but not to daunting. We didn't need to use our walking sticks.

Mon Jan 21 2019