Fall Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Hollywood Sign via Canyon Drive

Hollywood Sign via Canyon Drive is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,161 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Visitors should use the Brush Canyon Trail from Canyon Drive, 2 blocks to the east of Beachwood Drive off Franklin, or Griffith Observatory. Canyon has a parking lot, sidewalks, trash cans, and facilities for visitors. This is a great hike if you are visiting or new in town with excellent views of the Hollywood sign. At the top is a 360 degree view behind the famous sign.

It was easy.

Make sure to do this early in the morning because there is no shade and it gets HOT. It’s a pretty solid incline the whole way. Can’t get crowded if you get here after 8am on a warm day. Bring lots of water and sunblock.

Nice hike, bring lots of water in the summer it gets really hot. Well traveled, okay for single hikers.

no shade. good incline. go early lots of hikers, parking gets packed.

Great hike ! Moderately easy ! Would do it again!

This was my first time hiking this trail and I’m very new to hiking (only have done a few). But I’m training for a Spartan Beast so this was on my bucket list. We had about 15 in our group And parked on Canyon Rd where it ends. The only restrooms are there. Got there at 7 am and still plenty of parking. I recommend you use the facilities before heading up The trail. Bring plenty of water, sunscreen, and bug repellent if you’re bothered by bugs. Wear a hat because there’s limited shading. On the way up there was more shade than on our way down. The first mile or so it’s pretty steep, but manageable. We went up to the front of the Hollywood sign. Then on our way back down we decided to go to the back up to the radio towers behind the sign. Steep climbing going the back way, but the views are AMAZING! RT was about 7.2 miles if you take this route. Next time we’re visiting the Griffith Observatory from Canyon Rd to get more miles in.

Definitely a good hike with some pretty great views going up. Recommend going in the morning to have some shade half way up but overall it’s not too bad.

Great trail. A little tough with the incline in the beginning but it flattens out for most of the hike! Takes you right up to the sign as well for a great photo and view of Los Angeles.

My husband and I hike this trail early in the morning early last week. Not a lot of shade, shared with horses, dog on lead, has an incline and trails are all well marked. Love every min of the hike. We hike to the Hollywood sign and all the way to the Griffith Observatory. Only downside is that other people does like to share their music loudly so if you want peace and quiet it may not happen. Bring water and wear sun cream. No toilet except at the beginning where there is Porter potty or on the way to Observatory.

Nice trail overall. We arrived around 7:30am on a Saturday morning - the small parking lot closest to the trailhead (maybe 10 cars) was full but the secondary lot on Canyon Drive had several spaces open. We first did the trail to the summit behind the Hollywood sign, which had nice 360 degree views as well as a neat view of the sign. We then went down to the higher of the two sign viewing points before heading out. All in, we clocked it at 7.5 miles from and to the car. Definitely recommend doing this on the earlier side, as there’s little shade on the path and it can get hot! In the morning when we started it was light out but overcast, which was greatly appreciated, with the sun not coming out in force until 9:30-10. Overall, a nice hike for a few hours in the morning with great views of the iconic Hollywood sign and all of LA. We will be doing this one again while we live in town.

Great hike for exercise! I brought my baby in a stroller and pup and while it is technically “stroller friendly,” it’s quite bumpy so be prepared. My baby wasn’t happy about the bumps when she was trying to take a nap. Overall, highly recommended. Go early for some shade and bring plenty of water!

Pretty busy, pretty steep, pretty view at the top!

great trail. Shade at the very beginning but mainly sun so bringing water is a good idea. Uphill going into it but several areas once you are in of a bit of flat or mild down hill. Moderate rating is fair as a flatlands girl from Indiana was easily able to hike this. We had great weather with mid seventies and a breeze but you would definitely want to check conditions as this is a lot of sun and at times very protected from the wind. Very wide and well maintained trail with a lot of horses on the day we went so if you do not like the smell, be aware.

It was a great hike, a little more incline than I expected, but overall still a great hike!

The trailhead is easy to find and ample parking was available. We arrived around 11a on a weekday and it wasn't terribly busy. Altogether the hike took about 3hrs walking at a moderate pace. It starts uphill for about the first 2 miles then levels out a bit. The last quarter mile or so was paved. The trail ends with a small open space area to take pictures below the Hollywood sign. Definitely be take water as there are no fountains etc at the base or along the way.

Steeper than I had expected with little shad but great hike to launch our new lifestyle-

We went a little of this trail given that we went to the Hollywood sign before Mt Lee, Cahuenga, and Burbank Peak trails. It was a great hike!

Hiked on 6/1. I arrived at 630 am. The smaller parking lot closer to the trail head was full it fits about 6-8 cars. I parked in the larger lot and there was only 3. The first mile is pretty tough, you gain ~450-500 ft of elevation. After that it’s gradual. I accidentally made a left at the fork and did the .4 (.8 round trip) from the lower/front Hollywood sign view point. When I got back to the fork I did the other .9 to the right to get up to the top (behind the sign). This was a steep incline but bearable. It was very foggy this morning so no view of the sign or LA. It was still a great hike. I would hate to do this on a clear sunny day as there is little to no shade. Bring water. I enjoyed jogging down the trail which made it easier on my legs. I definitely felt it in my calves when I got home. There were tons of people coming up around 8am. My total round trip with the extra .8 was 6.5. I got back to the car at about 9am and there was 30+ cars. Go early.

It’s a great hike that gets you behind and in front of the sign. It’s all uphill and not easy at all. My hike ended up being 7 miles, but I went up to the top to get a view from behind and did the 0.4 to the front of the sign too. It’s crowded. But def a great workout and the best views of the sign in LA. Two parking lots and street parking off Canyon Drive.

Started recording from the backside of the hollywood sign. Walked down to the front of hollywood sign then back to Canyon Dr. Total of 8 Miles

Great Views!!! Start early. No shade.

The best view for the Hollywood sign with free parking at the base. There aren't many spots to park so be sure to arrive before 8am. The trial isn't difficult so it makes it a great hike for all. If you want a challenge - just run it as it's perfect for a 10k trial run workout. You have the option of doing both below and above the sign and get closer to it than most other paths. You also have the option of extending the hike and going all the way to the Griffith Observatory.

Loved that trail, you get to see some amazing scenery and breathtaking panoramic views. It can be slightly slippery when on your way back so you have to watch your steps. The horse riders might join you at the top of the claim, so you have also to look out for those "mines" they are occasionally leaving behind. Bring water and snacks, takes about 3 hours or more.

Great hike. Steep and dusty. Busy. Great hike for a dog bring water for them. Enjoy