Hollenbeck Canyon Trail

Hollenbeck Canyon Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jamul, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A beautiful canyon just east of San Diego, California If you are hiking after recent rains, the landscape will be green and lush, but also make the creek crossings (3 total) treacherous. The trail continues past the recorded route if you wish to extend the hike. The whole area between Dulzura and Jamul outside San Diego is beautiful. Rolling green hills with steep rocky peaks here and there.

We loved the time we spent walking in Hollenbeck, but we were confused by the trail signs. All the maps show a perfectly discernible loop, which we never figured out. There were many unmarked forks. Our total mileage was 6.8 mi, and most of the time we felt lost. Granted, lost in a beautiful place but confused nonetheless. If someone can explain the color codes on the trailmarkers, I'd appreciate it.

It was a perfect 70 degrees. Everything was very dry with only a few spots of greenery. Tree coverage was nice throughout. Lovely spots with boulders.
Was an easy hike with only a few up hills, only one of them being moderately steep. Some loose gravel on the way down. The view was beautiful at the top. Best part is we encountered a gorgeous rattle snake on the way down.
If you keep right on the trail, it’ll take you on the loop. It was beautiful, but definitely not lush during this season. It’s a good trail if you’re getting away from city life though. Didn’t run into more than 3 people the whole time. It was about 5.5 miles round trip. Took us around 2 1/2 hrs, but we were taking our time exploring.
Jamul area has beautiful trails. I recommend this one.

I love to come to the trail when I have a free morning to explore a bit. You can go as far as you wish or do the full loop. It is lovely to walk through some healthy open oak woodland for the first mile or so (much appreciated shade!). The dogs love exploring here as well. Well maintained, wide trail. Don't stray too far to the edges off the trail, lots of poison oak like many other places in San Diego.

Really gorgeous hike! My girlfriend hurt her ankle so we were looking for something simple and not strenuous - this hike was perfect. One big hill up when you get to the loop - the hill down on the other side of the loop had a bit of loose rock but it was manageable. Path on the loop back along got a little narrow but the views were amazing.

I like hiking early soon arrived at 7am, I was enjoying my hike almost an hour in and heard gunshots apparently during this time people like to bird hunt or whatever so be cautious and pay attention when coming out.

Great hike! There isn't much shade except along the river but otherwise nice open views of some surrounding mountains, sage scrub and meadows. We saw only a few people on a Sunday and really had most of the hike to ourselves.

Have hiked out here several times over the years. Always enjoy it no matter which way you go. We prefer hiking here when it's cooler as we bring our dog. We have encountered hunters at least twice. Oh, and be careful where you drop your pants as there are a few wildlife cameras that we have noticed. :)

Gorgeous relatively easy loop with some great flowers and mountain views!

We arrived late so the temperature was starting to go up, it's an easy trail and on the way back we encounter a group of ladies trying to get a horse out of a ravine, so it got a little bit stressful because the horse was on the verge of braking his ankle and we know that doesn't end well. At the end Ismael I think was the name of the horse work with a couple of guys who offered some help and finally got out and sit on the road. We hope that amazing animal is alright!

We saw a couple of white owls which were really big and flew above us.

Very easy hike. Did the loop going counterclockwise.Took a couple different trails and ended up up being a 6 mile loop. Beautiful morning with the cloud cover. If you go when it's sunny make sure you take lots of water as there is little shade.

Easy trail and surprisingly lush with nice view of the hills and mountains. Mostly exposed. You'll run into a couple official and unofficial forks- stick right until the loop. We did the loop counter-clockwise. Around the middle of the loop is the valley and a fork to a different different trail.

A nice section of trail beside the stream. I took a spur off the top of the main trail loop for some nice views of the valley. On the return route took the road that goes by an old corral area. A very pleasant, peaceful, hike except for the noise from the steady westbound planes en route to Lindbergh. My route was a total distance of 9.7 miles.

Nice quick get out of the city ride. Taste of climbing to get the heart racing a little. Creeks were pretty dry, easy to cross. Great trail for beginner mountain bikers.

My new favorite trail. I felt so removed from civilization, when you're on the far end you aren't able to hear any noises from cars or people. The day I went it was overcast and very few people were out. There were big fields, oak groves, a runnning brook from the rain, some small but good hills. I brought my dog, and he had a blast. I would not bring him in the high heat of summer or fall - between oak groves are large expanses of open trail without shade that would be hard on a pup. cool days of winter or even if it's a cool, overcast May like this year (2017) taking dogs is fine. I don't have kids, but I think this trail is kid friendly enough for kids who like to hike and are a bit older. The few climbs aren't terrible and any game 8 year old or older could handle it. There is a port-o-potty at the trail head, and a map, and out on the trail are mile markers and directional posts (easier to understand than the ones at mission trails)

This is a nice hike and a good work out. It's close to home and the views are very pretty.

Loved it! Hiked this trail during winter months , different during spring months with wild flowers and stream flowing. Not too difficult.. gradual incline, great workout!

My first time here. Didn't do the whole trail, did about 4 miles. Mostly easy terrain, had to cross the little stream a few times. Careful for the poison oak!

Beautiful and relaxing. Pretty moderate at some points but chill. Great for dogs, but must be leashed.

Fantastic trail when the wild flowers are in bloom. Highly recommend waterproof hiking shoes. Lots of offshoots so there is flexibility in how long you want to make it. On the way back around the 1 mile marker is a great place to stop on some flat rocks and dip your feet in the stream!