Hole-in-the-Wall Rings Trail

Hole-in-the-Wall Rings Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cima, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

The main feature of this trail is the rings which are physically demanding.

Super fun and short hike. We were the only ones there. Super special experience. Love the absolute quietness. The rings could be a challenge for some, but was fine for us.

Loved this trail, very scenic!! It was easy until we came to the rings...The rings were an interesting challenge! My husband had some difficulty with them bc he is so tall, he found the spacing of rings difficult.

Gorgeous

superb trail !

if you have a wimpy car, approach from the south on paved roads!

i tried to access hole-in-the-wall from the north via Cedar Canyon Rd, which is marked as ok for 2wd vehicles. but i turned around as I wasn't certain my compact rental car could handle it, especially in the rain.

Five of us old folks (average age 67) did this one at the end of January. We had a great time and found the hike easy except the rings themselves. With only a little trouble, and a lot of laughs we made it up the rings. I enjoyed it so much that I repeated this part when finishing up the Barber Peak Loop Trail. Loved it both times.

Great views of plateaus and mesas in the valley, the rings at the end are unique and fun. Worth doing it even if the rings are too challenging.

What a great trail! The rings were awesome!

Awesome lil trail, the rings was fun

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Only the rings make this hike difficult. The rest of the hike is easy, but do the rings if you are able. They are really fun! The landscape in and around these rock formations is amazing.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

This trail is so much fun, and the rock formations are amazing. Even if you can't climb the rings (which is the most fun part!), it's still worth hiking into the canyon and back out because it's so beautiful. Other than the rings, this is an easy trail. Highly recommended.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

nice short trail

Saturday, April 01, 2017

SO FUN!!! And beautiful

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Love this train and I highly recommend this to anyone. If I had the time I would do it again. I do suggest going up on the rings because it is easier than going down.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

This is a great trail. We started at the end of the parking lot and walked around to Banshee Canyon. Great views. Great rocks. Easy walking.

The trail gets tougher as the rings get closer. I have done the rings and they are hard mostly because they are spaced quite far apart. I strongly suggest that you do not do this trail by yourself in case you fall off the rings.

If you feel you cannot do the rings, hike the trail anyway and do a in-and-back trip. You won't regret it.

And don't forget to check the echo chamber that is Banshee Canyon.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

it was super nice but very short. normally I dislike climbing but here it was fun. there is just 5 min of climbing.

Friday, December 23, 2016

Super fun hike ,Awesome winter time fun!! ..rained all night and the next day ,and still had a blast ,..the whole preserve is a really special place ,a must visit .. ,nearby hole in the wall campground is also great ,nice sites ,water ..bring firewood though

Monday, December 05, 2016

Beautiful desert scenery and a tranquil location. As an experienced hiker, I found the portion with the rings to be very easy -- more so than what other reviews suggested. I would probably combine this hike with the Barber Peak Loop Trail next time to spend more time enjoying this area.

Note: the exit for Essex Rd on I-40 is currently under construction and getting to/from this hike may require a detour.

Monday, May 02, 2016

This trail is not very noticable. My friend and I never even found the loops, but instead just climbed each ring individualy. It was kind of fun with the rock climbing, but lots of loose rocks. NOT very child friendly. Also the road up to the place is pretty rough. The view at the top was fantastic. If it wasnt windy I could of stayed for hours.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Everyone focuses on the rings, but the entire trail is thoroughly enjoyable. The entrance to Banshee Canyon is spectacular and offers great photo ops. Some light-to-moderate rock scrambling leads up to the rings, which are a challenge but doable with, if necessary, a hand from someone above. Not a hike to be done alone, as a fall from the rings could be disabling. Perfect time to do is early spring – mid-April to early May. Also spotted a female phainopepla (small dark bird with noticeable crest) on high ground beyond the rings. A great day all around!

Friday, April 08, 2016

The pictures make the rings look easy. It is definitely physically demanding. But worth the challenge.

Monday, January 02, 2012

This is cool for the novelty of the "rings" required to lift or lower yourself [depending on the direction of the loop you are in]. This trail is pretty short and can be used together with the other two trails at the site, Barber Peak Loop and/or Hole-in-the-Wall to Mid Hills. Entering the Banshee Canyon is also pretty unique as you see just why "Hole In The Wall" was given its name.

Because of the rings, this trail isn't necessarily for everyone.