Hole-in-the-Wall Rings Trail

moderate 104 reviews

Hole-in-the-Wall Rings Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cima, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and bird watching and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 127 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

cave

The main feature of this trail is the rings which are physically demanding.

Such a fun little trail. Beautiful canyon to scramble over rocks. The rings are necessary to get up the canyon. I wouldn't suggest children or those who are not physically able enough to do some minor rock climbing. I emphasizes minor but if you can't, this isnt the trail for you. Overall this is a very beautiful place, and I had a lot of fun playing around here.

Really fun short trail. From the parking lot with the info boards, go back down the dirt road toward the visitor center. If you descend down into the canyon first, you’ll go down the rings which doesn’t seem like much fun to me. But the scenery is beautiful! There are interesting rock formations everywhere. About 1/4 mile in there is a cluster of boulders with a ton of petroglyphs! That was definitely a highlight! A must while in Mojave!

An ok hike. The rings aren't very strenuous so no need to worry about that. A hike that should be done if you're in Mojave.

I highly recommend you take the trail clockwise. It is a bit tricky to scale down the rings if you go counterclockwise starting at the picnic area. Definitely worth the trip.

Most of the trail is dog friendly but the ring part going up is kinda hard with a dog. Also, I wouldn’t go on the trail while it rains. Bring water, sunscreen and a hat if you come during the hot summer days.

Awesome! Lots of fun going off trail and climbing a bit. We had to reroute because the rings weren’t going to work with our dogs, but went to the backside and explored!

Loved this hike! However, I would consider it more challenging then the moderate that it is rated. Me and my husband are pretty athletic ages 55+ and we found the rings to be quite a challenge. Honestly, if you don’t have a lot of upper body strength I would be cautious. The rings are so much fun but challenging! The 1.5 mile hike is well worth the long drive into the National park!

love this trail. it's short. you climb over rocks, very nice

Great hike. Loops can be a little challenging.

fun trail. went with his family and everyone made it. start at the visitor center and go clockwise!!! if you get to the rings first, turn around. makes the hike more enjoyable.

Short and easy hike. There's a little rock scrabbling towards the end, but nothing crazy.

Tue Jan 29 2019

Badger Pass to Dewey Trail

Tue Dec 25 2018

Short, mostly flat hike around some rocky outcroppings. My girls loved it (partly because it was perfect 60 degree weather in late December), even the 11 year old, who struggled a bit with the rings up through some narrow stretches of Banshee canyon. Take the hike clockwise and you'll wind up going up the rings, which are there for pretty short stretches. Short walk from Hole in the Wall campground.

Sun Nov 25 2018

Fun but not hard except if you crawl through the rocks. Camped at Mid Hills and hit Mitchell Caverns for a great adventure weekend

Mon Oct 15 2018

Super fun and short hike. We were the only ones there. Super special experience. Love the absolute quietness. The rings could be a challenge for some, but was fine for us.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Loved this trail, very scenic!! It was easy until we came to the rings...The rings were an interesting challenge! My husband had some difficulty with them bc he is so tall, he found the spacing of rings difficult.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Gorgeous

Sun Apr 15 2018

superb trail !

Wed Mar 14 2018

if you have a wimpy car, approach from the south on paved roads! i tried to access hole-in-the-wall from the north via Cedar Canyon Rd, which is marked as ok for 2wd vehicles. but i turned around as I wasn't certain my compact rental car could handle it, especially in the rain.

Wed Mar 14 2018

Five of us old folks (average age 67) did this one at the end of January. We had a great time and found the hike easy except the rings themselves. With only a little trouble, and a lot of laughs we made it up the rings. I enjoyed it so much that I repeated this part when finishing up the Barber Peak Loop Trail. Loved it both times.

Tue Feb 27 2018

Great views of plateaus and mesas in the valley, the rings at the end are unique and fun. Worth doing it even if the rings are too challenging.

Mon Feb 26 2018

What a great trail! The rings were awesome!

Tue Feb 06 2018

Very cool! Fun!

Sat Dec 02 2017

Awesome lil trail, the rings was fun

Wed May 31 2017

Only the rings make this hike difficult. The rest of the hike is easy, but do the rings if you are able. They are really fun! The landscape in and around these rock formations is amazing.

Sun May 21 2017

This trail is so much fun, and the rock formations are amazing. Even if you can't climb the rings (which is the most fun part!), it's still worth hiking into the canyon and back out because it's so beautiful. Other than the rings, this is an easy trail. Highly recommended.