Hogback Loop Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,932 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: This trail has some steep climbs and it goes through the tunnel near the Observatory. Please take precaution when taking this route.

all hiking trails are closed at the moment due to covid19

This hike will take you through a large portion of Griffith Park. Half of it on paved roads, the other half on dirt trails. You get classic far away views of the Hollywood sign, the Observatory, and downtown. It does also put you in some very risky situations at certain points. The main one being it wants you to go through the tunnel near the observatory. There is a sign on the Observatory side alerting cars to "hikers and cyclists" but most people driving in that area are bound to be tourists so be careful if your gonna go for it. It's a short tunnel. I jogged through it in 20 seconds. I also recommend doing this hike counter clockwise. It will have you go uphill on the sandy rocky loose gravel steep part of the Hogback rather than down it..which is more strenuous but less likely for you to slip. I also recommend going right at the very beginning up that steep part for the same reasons. The most ridiculous and dangerous part of this hike is the area on the map near the Greek Theatre. The map wants you to take this incredibly steep hazardous trail that connects to some smaller trails and then over to the Riverside Trail. Getting on that trail and getting off it is super difficult. Pretty sweet view at the top..but worth it? Meh... Long hike through the park with some great views..but you can do better.

Was not a fan of this hike. There are some nice views when you get to the top of the hills but I had to continue to look at my phone to make sure I was going in the right direction. For most of the hike you are getting on different connecting trails with a lot of foot traffic. Parts of the trail were just large roads that we were walking along side of. On the second half of the hike the trail that was marked on the map is really difficult to follow and takes you to the edge of a small cliff. My service stopped working and it was very difficult to figure out a way down without injuring myself. If you have kids and want to do this hike stay on the main roads on the way back.

I'm a local hiker, and this trail is not good trail at all, 2-3 popular route are combined, 1/2 of route, paved regular road, "watch out honking on the corner" you can not take tonnel walk withougt any pedestrian way, just you can not. so, it's not practical for following up map to complete the whole hike.

LOVE this trail!! The main pavement road has about 5 break-off hike trails. Each break-off trail has 3-4 small unique hikes with some shade, incline and switchbacks. We didn’t think we would break a sweat because all the trails were so short but they were definitely challenging. Not a lot of hikers, some dogs, very clean, well marked and peaceful. Beautiful cliffs, bridge, little shade, not a lot of resting area. We will definitely go back but will go early evening since it was so hot!

Sun Apr 14 2019

Not great and not a very intuitive route. Weaves around all over, it’s not well marked and some of the trails names in the app are not the trails names on the signs. I found my self checking my phone all the time to make sure I was on the right route. It also suggests some dangerous detours, one a scramble up a hillside that specifically says “do not use” and “stay on trail” another tells you to walk through the Griffith park tunnel which is a great way to get hit by a car. Some of the route wasn’t even accessible at the way points that were suggested. I’d say use it as a guide, but make your own safe way around.

Sat Dec 15 2018

really enjoyed this and no issues with any drop offs. started at the Greek theatre entrance and didn't quite do the full loop as I went into the observatory as a final leg. awesome views of the city and not a bad angle on the Hollywood sign

Fri Oct 05 2018

This should be rated difficult. I have pro version of AllTrails so know I was following prescribed trail. Not acceptable in one section -20 to 40’ drop off. Multiple areas had to scramble. Started counter clockwise. Thought Trail was gorgeous with views to ocean and Catalina Island poking out behind Palos Verdes Peninsula, especially with clouds providing shade. 7.4 mi in when you get to Vermont Canyon Road where Greek Theatre located, across street is where you will have to scramble up 100+ feet (this isn’t shown as an actual ‘dotted line path’ on map). Poles won’t work and forget it if raining. 8 mi in where Trail connects with Riverside Trail there is a 20 to 40 foot drop off. I have a video showing a man against this cliff. This was not acceptable- AllTrails needs to fix this. I took chance by scrambling down then jumping since ~8 mi in for 9.8 mi hike. Check out my photos and video of this ridiculous cliff with man at base so you can see significant drop off. I do not recommend this hike because of this drop off. Or take an alternative route starting at Greek Theater to Riverside Trail-avoiding 100+ uphill scramble and 20+ foot drop off.

Mon Jan 15 2018

To stay on the actual trail we had a climb very steep sections towards to end and take a very steep jump to get off a boulder back onto a cleared road. Not good for a dog but my pup made it.

Sun Dec 24 2017

Great hike long one. Great views of city. Plenty of street traffic during the week.

Tue Dec 12 2017

Great exercise/workout.

Sun Sep 24 2017

It's a very easy trail if you hike regularly. Over 1/3rd of the trail is on the flat road... high traffic all the time ... this trail should not be classified as "Moderate"

Thu Jun 16 2016

My friend and I did the whole loop trail. The beginning of this hike was nice, we followed this map and the last 30mins of our hike was insane. Part of the trail loop was the tunnel where all the cars passes by. It's petty dangerous. We were in the rough edges of the mountain and very steep. I wouldn't advise anyone to do the whole loop. If u do, be prepare for the challenge. It took us about 4 1/2 hours. It's supposed to be a 9.5miles but I feel like we did more than that.

Wed Apr 06 2016

Breathtaking views all around the greater LA/SFV/Glendale areas all the way to the beach. Haven't seen any better views of the city at any of my hikes and I hike often.

Wed Mar 16 2016

Favorite! I do it often! Excellent Views! Bring Water / No Shade ..

Tue Dec 29 2015

It was really nice and peaceful, there are many people that take this hike, it is a pretty easy hike all levels will enjoy. Beautiful views