Hoegees Campground Loop: Upper and Lower Winter Creek Trail Loop

Hoegee's Camp: Upper and Lower Winter Creek Trail Loop is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,433 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Canyon has limited parking. The 3 lots all fill up early in the morning on weekends, although on weekdays there is usually a lot of space available. In case you find the lots completely filled, parking is allowed on the road, but each car MUST be entirely behind the white lane or it will be ticketed by the Forest Service, or towed if it blocks the road. Each car must also display a Forest Service Adventure Pass or it will be ticketed, whether it's on the road or in one of the lots. There is often parking available at the pack station for a $5.00 fee, and an Adventure Pass is not required to park there.

First time doing this hike. Started around 9:30 a m - it was a beautiful hike. Good workout, lots of squirrels saw a mama bear and her two cubs about 1/8 mile past the the camp site. She was foraging for food not interested in us at all but a good warning to keep eyes open and be alert.

This is a great hike and that gives way to views that you wouldn’t find by just taking the lower winter trail. My suggestion is to start by taking the lower winter trail first and then looping back using the upper winter trail. This way you bypass the long and difficult incline coming back to Chantry flats.

Amazing easy hike to enjoy on a regular basis. A pretty good workout and some cool views. I saw some deer and giant squirrels!

Great hike - did with older (in shape) relatives and they also loved it. Saw a small adult rattlesnake on the rocks near the river at the campground - apparently it is common for them to be out on cloudy early summer mornings as this was. Two weeks prior, saw a bear on another nearby trail. Lots of wildlife around here! This hike is perfect for sunny days when you don’t want to be out in a lot of direct sun but also don’t want to start super early. Plan to park on the road (the lot is always full) and walk up to the trail heads. Bring cash, and get an adventure pass down in town before heading into the park. Wear long pants - lots of poison oak.

the hike is awesome!! we did it 2 or 3 weeks ago in the middle of June. Ran into a bear with cubs! the bear was hanging out by one of the house cabins about half a mile before the paved road to go up to the parking lot. had to turn and loop around ... ended up hiking 17mi and some in the dark. so heads up. we hike here a lot and this is first year to see them. week before saw another bear as we were driving down the mountain. both times were near dusk.

I highly recommend hiking this trail in the clockwise direction. You’ll get the open areas behind you and enjoy the peaceful streams as you finish the second half. Overall, a great invigorating hike!!

lots of orifice bugs

Took this loop clockwise & it seemed to be a good choice with the short steep uphill at the end. The trail and creek are beautiful, especially with the rain and late cool weather this year. Latrines at campground closed. Recomend a stop at Adam's Pack House. Everything around Chantry Flats is a bit busy, but this trail seems to be less used than some of the others. Great way to spend a day.

This was my second hike on this trail, but this one not successful at all. The first hike I did, I did it counter clockwise, and it was a success but I stayed on the paved road all the way to the bridge and walked on it and continued my path. This second time around I did this trail again counter clockwise but I didn't take the paved road. At first I started on the paved road from the parking lot, and then took the right turn towards lower winter creek and headed towards the rock area with bunch of people hanging out. I then continued on with the lower winter creek path to get to the bridge, and all of a sudden there is no path or trail. I was with my young sun and we worked our way on the slippery rocks and passed it. We then, what it seemed like a total bushwhack and going over logs, and fallen trees, etc. and the entire trail is not accessible. I was literally stepping on dangerous forestry and I put a halt on the hike. We ended up going back the same way, and not able to complete the loop. I'm not sure if this path, trail has been destroyed recently but it's definitely not safe and doable to the average hiker, or maybe to even experienced hikers. I was following the all trails maps but I definitely didn't see any trail to follow or a trail for me to make or create one. Trees, outgrown bushes, etc. A total disappointment for me.

Excellent hike. Much of the hike is along a creek and is shady. We took a side hike to Mt. Zion and this portion is mostly unshaded, but there are plenty of wildflowers.

I hike from hoagie to Manzanita Ridge, hike was a little steep the last couple of miles I would rate it a little bit harder than just the Moderate trail.

Saturday Morning arrived 7:00am parking was full so I Parked 0.5 miles down the hill . $5 parking pass is a must . There is a $20 parking spaces available after 7:30 am. We did this hike clockwise which seem a good choice . 2 1/2 hours . Nice Hike streams are full of water. Take hiking shoes not running shoes .

Went on April 7th at about 1130am. Took the recommended path going counter clockwise. Two miles in before the camp, we saw a bear and two cubs! right off the path. it was maybe 200ft away and it just stared at us as we passed. The first half is great, lots of streams thanks were easy to cross over. but there were lots of flies around. the second half going downhill has no streams but more flowers and plants. the entire hike is pretty much shaded which is great. there were barely any other hikers on this trail, everyone probably took the sturtevant falls hike instead.

A lot of creek crossings, which is always a pleasure. Did this backward (clockwise) on 3/30 in 2.25 hours.

one of the most beautiful trails I have ever been on. it was more moderate hike I would say. i'm not super in shape or hike as frequently as I'd like and I managed very well. this trail offers lots to stop and see, a great variety of flora and fauna, and amazing views. we did this trail in late March and felt the weather was perfect!

beautiful.

closed

Amazing, luckily I was there while the park is closed so not many people there. :)

Great hike

Worth it. Lots of creek crossings, a few caves, clips, campground. Somewhat maintained Moderat trail

it's decent. very heavily trafficked. it's a challenge for a new hiker definitely!

Absolutely loved it. The scenery is beautiful and definitely a challenge for beginners.

The trail is way over crowded, a lot of trash, parking sucks. it's more of a walking trail than a hike as half of it is a paved road.

What a great hike! I started from the Sturtevant trail and it was a steady but pleasant hike up through the canyon. I only recorded 4.5 miles and ~900 ft elevation gain.

Get there early if you want to find parking!

As previously stated parking is a challenge if you don’t arrive early. Over all it was a nice leisurely hike many squirrels, dragon flies and butterflies.. Colors are beginning to change. Was able to take a nice peaceful nap at Hodgees campsite before heading back down the trail.