Ho Chi Minh Trail

Ho Chi Minh Trail is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near La Jolla, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

beach

9883 La Jolla Farms Rd San Diego, CA 92037

I love this hike! challenging but fun. Beautiful from start to finish! I hiked the last half without shoes as it was very slippery but if you have good hiking shoes I'd reccomend wearing them. Stay safe.

I entered this trail through the top and parked in the neighborhood as opposed to the bottom. The entrance at the top can be very easily missed. I came here with a few friends and we're all moderately athletic and my friend brought her dog. I don't recommend this trail if your dog is not athletic. I was able to get through the trail ok but I wished I would've had better shoes as it can get slippery. You cross part of the trail on a plank and can be very intimidating. Another part of the trail you scale down on a rope, this is at the bottom of the trail, again I wish I would've had better shoes. Overall, this trail is amazing and you scale down through canyons and there's also a part of the trail where you can chill and it overlooks the entire beach. Do it!

I was surprised by this Trail. I had done Annie's Trail north in Carlsbad along the cliffs from the beach. That was nothing like this one. You have to start out going up a rope to pull yourself up to the trail. And we asked people coming down the trail were there places that dropped off 50 to a hundred feet? They said yes there were but the trail at that point was 2 or 3 ft wide... easily accessible. They lied!!! There were parts that were just maybe 6 inches wide... with a toe hold you got across. I can see where people get stranded and need to be rescued out of there. There was even at two-by-four to walk across a gully. I would suggest if you are afraid of heights or you are not in good shape... this is not one for you.

Short trail to the beach. But very fun and pretty with the slot canyons

I love this trail for the sick slot canyon. There are a couple different branches to take, and one of them you’re squeezing through this gorgeous, striated slot. The colors are phenomenal, perfect for photography. The trail is for sure challenging and slippery. Recommend barefoot (for purchase on sand over stone) and all fours at some points. I usually see people stuck and struggling. Go slow and be prepared to fall.

A slippery little trail. Gorgeous views all the way down, though!

A little sketch but it makes it fun!

Beautiful trail that leads to the beach, but please wear proper footwear. You can literally die here! It looks very simple, but it turns very slippery near the end.

Very difficult and scary towards the end. Please only go if you’re experienced. My boyfriend and I had a moment where we thought we were going to fall to our deaths.

Very short but very fun!

This is a pretty fun trail but can be tough if the sand is dry and slippery

There’s naked people on the beach when you make it down there! Lol, I didn’t know I was hiking to a nude beach. Mostly men of course....anyway.... yes it’s very challenging and yes the locals go barefoot and say it’s safer. Awesome sandstone washouts and a rope to get you down the last 50. Head north on the beach and take the stairs back up, then head south along the ridge to get back to the original starting point.

Best trail in SD by far :) definitely a hidden gem

Scary but so worth it.

Beautiful, slightly out-of this-world trail for experienced risk takers. Three very sketchy places where “horizontal” part is 1-2” wide and made of loose sand. Cling to the wall with your belly but don’t grab what appears to be a good hold too hard – you may end up with a detached piece of sandstone in your hand. Prayers won’t help traction – wear good shoes. Although locals claim that doing it barefoot is the best (not for me). Don’t start the 1st narrow part (either way you go) if not sure, you may find yourself in an impossible situation. Consider yourself warned.

For locals only unless you are experienced! The path is eroding away, so hike at own risk! Have fun though!!

Has eroded a little bit since the last time I did it. Wear shoes with good traction!

It was such a beautiful view from top to bottom of the hike. But due to the rain and mud slides I would suggest waiting a week or so because my partner and I both slid down a few muddy hills...still worth it :-)

Challenging, but not strenuous at all. Mostly all downhill to the beach. We took our shoes off halfway because some parts of the trail are so sketchy that it was safer to walk through the water. You will slip at least once, with good shoes or no shoes. I would not want to hike back up this route and we did not—there’s a way to go back up via the main road.

rock climbing

Get off the beaten path and find the hidden goat trails. This is where you will get your sweat on. This is some serious sand stone no traction slip away from everything you step onto. Know your limitations!!!

Agree with those saying this trail can be risky at points. It's not clear which is the best path to take at times as well but isn't that part of the fun. Do wear shoes with traction--i wore birkenstocks and slipped at several points. My bad, of course, in not being prepared.

Definitely challenging, but completely worth it !

Absolutely adore it

Have to be careful but was a great little hike.

I loved this trail. It can be difficult in spots. Wear good hiking shoes. The path is narrow and slippery in some places. The scenery is beautiful.

Kind of dangerous but definitely exciting. So different from the other hikes I had done before!

Beautiful views! A little narrow and on the edge at times. My husband and I wore tennis shoes and thought it helped. There's lose dirt through out the trail that can contribute to slipping so just be very careful. The view and the beach at the end is worth it.

Wear shoes with lots of tread, overall beautiful trail!

Although the scenery is very beautiful, due to the fact that this trail is not maintained, it has eroded and become dangerous at at least one point. It should be reclassified as "difficult" or removed from this list entirely. I myself slipped and almost fell into a ravine, hanging by one hand and luckily got pulled up by two other hikers before my arm gave way. If you must hike this trail, make sure you have hiking shoes or boots with very good traction.