Ho Chi Minh Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(396)
La Jolla, California

Ho Chi Minh Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near La Jolla, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 259 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

private property

Note: Use EXTREME caution when on this trail. Many ledges are slippery and unsafe. This is a fairly technical trail that includes a lot of rock scrambling and maneuvering through rock canyons.

1 hour ago

Loves this hike! Be aware of the rope swing at the end..I slipped and fell. Totally fine. Just a heads up!

Like any San Diego local, I’ve hiked this trail a number of times and have enjoyed it. I used to walk it barefoot, jog it, bring the surfboard, etc. but erosion has left It in pretty bad shape. Last time I went, a guy fell into the cave/creek area and had to get down to the beach yelling in pain (shattered tailbone). I needed the help of a nice passerby to get across a spot where my leg wasn’t long enough to reach w/o me slipping and falling too. Wouldn’t recommend taking the kids, taking older folks, or taking yourself if you don’t feel like you’re prepared to cross some sketchy, slippery areas. If you go and feel uncomfortable, don’t be afraid to turn around!

private property

I am not an avid hiker but this was definitely a fun trail! Be careful and pay attention! Highly recommend

private property

Great trail! Definitely a tough one for beginners, I highly recommend hiking boots. I slipped through the muddy parts even with boots so be careful! Gets pretty narrow at some points but overall a great hike with a beautiful beach view (:

very challenging trail, but worth it

fun trail but be extra cautious. Had to save a woman from almost sliding over the cliff. Not for beginner.

private property

Fun hike, beautiful view at the end, but really dangerous cliffs you have to get over. We ended up walking to a path down the beach for the way back to avoid doing the cliffs again.

beautiful hike! is difficult but not hard, bring a good boots for hike, is dangerous but not impossible. take it easy and you'll enjoy the amazing views! I hiked with my husky and was amazing!

it was beautiful scenery but towards the end hit a very dangerous steep part where foot work is so important. you have to grab onto whatever rocks u can hold on to. I'm scared of heights and it wasn't even that high just very very slippery and no clear walking path. I almost slipped down. not for kids for sure. I also lost my keys on the way through here getting down to the beach somewhere. if anybody finds keys please let me know acesar422@gmail.com

closed

Should be wary when going down canyon into shore. Loose rock, mud, snakes.

It's so cool and short, but very dangerous!

About four years ago, this trail was in much better shape, able to be done with running shoes and non hiking gear. Now, hiking shoes/experience is a NECESSITY, as everything on the trail has eroded. Bad traction, steep edges, and dry excess sand will leave you in dangerous positions for falling if not very careful/lucky. No animals/excess items should be carried down here, as you will need your hands to grip rocks. High risk hike, high reward for completing it. Be careful.

I don’t suggest bringing a pet or children on this trail unless they are avid hikers. Gets very steep at some points. I have found taking the creek as opposed to the canyon walls is somewhat easier. I have seen people fall a few times in the canyon. The trail itself is absolutely beautiful right on the water.

Pretty technical hike, but a ton of fun. A lot of sandstone and slipprey foot holds. Tons of people on the trail who have NO idea what they are getting into. Saw a couple today in Van's and platform shoes. There was also a few girls that were stuck towards the end where the sloping path and footholds made it impossible for them to move. We ended up having to pull them back up so they could reposition themselves and we could get past. Wear hiking boots and be ready for some slow steady progress on the final turn. Other than that it is an AWESOME hike. Super close to San Diego and watching all the Paragliders fly around makes it even cooler. Will definitely be back to try to go from the bottom up.