Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Hillcrest Boulders: Long Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(47)
Vacaville, California

Hillcrest Boulders: Long Loop is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Vacaville, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and rock climbing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 531 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

I underestimated how bumpy it would be lol, otherwise it was a blast riding down the hills

Got lost multiple times. Lots of cow poop.

It's a pretty place, but there are no marked trails, we got lost multiple times and extremely frustrated. To the left and up to the swing and boulders is uphill, but good and well travelled. After that, it's a free for all. The trail this app gives does not exist. There are tons of cow trails and small winding trails that intersect with each other and you go in circles. We finally got "off trail" and just followed the red trail line through bushes, across a dry Creek with no trail and through cow fields to get out.

Not sure what this All Trails app is talking about. This is a residential area. It is an open space. Cows roam the area along with rattlesnakes. There are NOT defined trails .... why? Because it’s NOT a trail park. It shouldn’t be listed on this app. As an avid hiker, I feel bad for the people who own property in this neighborhood. Don’t waste your time. There are plenty of other venues to frequent. This isn’t ONE of them:( Be careful of ticks and broken glass ... during my short trip, I encountered some irresponsible pet owners dog, off the leash, attacking a cow.... city of vacaville should be notified :( as should the rancher that rents this space from the city.

Such an easy hike with beautiful views of the city. Bring some snacks for a picnic. Perfect trail for kids too!

Hills n views !! challenging with pack on!

Nice view Not clear on trail path as there are no indication and there are many cross path that lead to unknown

The views were great but trail is poorly marked and the cows have basically destroyed it. We found ourselves in a field of tunnel spiders and felt like we were in an Indiana Jones movie. Saw lots of wildlife (besides spiders), including turkeys and jackrabbits.

Up to the rope swing was fun. Poorly marked got lost multiple times trying to come down. Next time I’ll just go up and come back down the same way to avoid getting lost. Not many people on the trail.

Sat Apr 13 2019

Hiked 4/12. Only 2 other people. Let my pup off leash when we were on the side where the cows weren't. Awesome hike with chilly breeze.

Sun Apr 07 2019

I loved it! I thought it was a quick little easy hike to start my weekend. there wasn't many people there and it was beautiful.

Sun Mar 17 2019

left side of loop is great, when you get to tge right trail disappears, you end up in a meadow that is like quicksand, and have to cut through a creek anywhere u see a safe clearing. dog got completely covered in mud.

Thu Mar 14 2019

Most of this trail is either no trail or following a cow trail. There are some areas in the valleys that were quiet muddy and I found it nice that the deep cattle footprints had filled with water leaving dry areas to pick my way across. The views were great at the top and the boulders were quiet puzzling. Beautiful day for being outside!

Sun Sep 16 2018

Great short hike! excellent views. did Not experience cow pies as some previous reviews mentioned. overall I was pleasantly surprised. might be hard for someone not in shape, but doable for sure.

Sat Jun 30 2018

Trail is poorly maintained prepare for thorns and fox tails everywhere

Sat Mar 31 2018

This trail should be called cow patty trail. Because there are cow pattys every where you step. So since you are hiking basically in a cow pasture I have rated it low. This trail starts in a residential neighborhood and has free parking. But since you are so close to these neighborhoods there are alot of teenagers hanging out in these hills hiking and playing around. The ground also sucks to walk on and is uneven because of the cows. But hey if you like cows and want to see one up close this is the place to be. The view from the top of the mountain is ok. Just looking at neighborhoods and people's back yards. I would honestly go somewhere else.

Thu Mar 22 2018

Beautiful but should not be rated as easy. The trail is pretty much straight up the whole way or straight down. Easy would have some flat land. We made the mistake of going after a rain shoes kept getting stuck in the mud we were slipping an sliding a lot. On way down I sipped and sprained my ankle. I would probably hike it again but not after a rain!