Highland Valley Trail

Highland Valley Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Great hike. Lots of shady spots. Great for kids. I even tried a stroller which kind of worked but not great. There was even a couple of this Indian mortar holes along the trail. A great surprise! Would definitely do it again.

We only did half of it because it was an unplanned hike with my 1 year old strapped to my back, but we had a blast. There are spots of shade along the way and it isn't totally flat so it's not boring. I let my daughter down to explore a bit by the bridge and she loved it. Not stroller friendly, but definitely doable with kids, keeping distance in mind.

This was a good running trail, single file necessary most of the way. Some simple climbing. Not too rocky. Nice for a short run.

Narrow trail, but still nice for running. Watch out for snakes.

Great short single track , nothing too technical. Rode this then took highland valley road to mule hill trail

This a nice and quiet trail. Fairly easy to hike with very little incline. My dogs and 7 yr. old enjoyed this hike. We only saw 3 other people, two mountain bikers and one other walking his dog. Out and back, this trail is only 4 miles, but it was well worth the cardio work out!

Small parking lot at trailhead through a narrow gate that is easy to miss. Trail seems more popular with mountain bikers than hikers and is quite narrow in places so stay aware. Easy walk, nothing too steep, not much shade. Glad to have done it but probably won't go back.