High Meadows to Cold Creek Trail

High Meadows to Cold Creek Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fantastic. Hard slog up the fire road, but worth every inch once you get up to the alpine meadow.

We took the fireroad up. Nothing to see there. Elevation was big, but not to tough. After 4,5km you reach the meadow.
Walk back next to the creek was amazing! Well worth de hike up! Couple of crosses with the water. Loved it!

Did this loop counter clockwise which is what I would recommend. The first half going up the fire road was just ok, but the meadow at the top is one of the most beautiful meadows I’ve seen. There was a meandering stream going through it. Coming back down next to the creek was lovely.

The way out is a bit boring but the Meadows and Creek are beautiful - well worth the trip! There's a descent number of mounting bikers along the creek, keep an eye out.

A nice walk, not much elevation gain. There was a beautiful view of the lake from atop a hill closer to the road. Not enough snow for snowshoeing but waterproof shoes are recommended. There were a few creek crossings. We saw quite a few dogs, a couple of people snowshoeing and one bikerider.

Great hike. Added the monument climb and got some great views. It was a little icy, but that’s this time of year.

As others have said the route up high meadows fire road is a “slog” unrelenting incline many portions without shade I hike this year round great snowshoeing in the wintertime. I like the ColdCreek route in the summer as it is more interesting and covered by trees

Long slog up the hill to start and beautiful trail down. Ticked all the boxes for a great hike.

Great hike, although I would probably take the same trail, the one on the right as you leave the trailhead parking area, back down, as it mirrors the creek. The trail on the right that completes the loop once you get to high meadow, is basically a Forrest Service road that only occasionally brings you into proximity of the creek. I was really amazed at the amount of water flowing down the creek this late in the year.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

I can't say a WHOLE lot about the trail, because my hike was cut short due to a run-in with a bear! My first encounter with a bear in the wild (outside of being at a very safe distance in Yellowstone). So, THAT was exciting! But about the trail, I will say this: High Meadows is a fire road trail, which isn't very exciting, so that's why I took the side dirt trail not far up from the trailhead. This side trail doesn't have a name on any map I can find but there was a marker at the fork. And about 3 minutes on that trail is when I spotted Yogi bear (I uploaded a photo here).

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Great trail, I would stay to the right on way up it's steep but more of a back road. The east or left side is a twisting single track that would be fun on a bike. At the top is a beautiful meadow and creek!

Friday, June 16, 2017

Great hike, but beware the first half is a relentless uphill climb with no relief until you get to the high meadow with occasional distant views of the lake and snow capped mountains. There were several creek crossings as well. The trail down was along side the creek which was more of a raging river today, really beautiful, and more shaded from the sun. Consider up and back on the creek side rather than the loop.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The creek crossing at the very top cannot be crossed without getting feet wet. The trail is steady uphill on an old dirt road. The payoff is the high meadow at the end. So beautiful with winding streams and mountain backdrops. Be aware that we saw a couple bears approaching the stream just as we were hiking away.

Friday, October 30, 2015