Hidden Horseshoe and Pushwalla Palms Trail

Hidden Horseshoe and Pushwalla Palms Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Thousand Palms, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

old growth

This is a 17,000 acre site that is home to the Coachella Valley fringe-toed lizard, which is found nowhere else in the world. It is also where the spectacular Pushawalla Trail is located which is fed by water seeping out of the San Andreas Fault. The Pushawalla Palms Trail is one of several well-maintained trails within the Coachella Valley Preserve, a 20,000-acre property that is home to sand dunes, groves of desert fan palms, and an array of wildlife that includes the rare fringe-toed lizard. It begins near the visitor center and follows the ridge of an uplifted earthquake fault past stunning views of the Coachella Valley down to a large palm grove, then returns via a scrub-covered wash.

great trail. I am a local. definitely one of the better treks in valley...

The trail was well marked the first 1.5miles if you are going clockwise. After that it’s poorly marked and not well traveled in some areas because you are running/hiking in a dried riverbed. All of the ridge running is well traveled and easy to follow and the palms’ untouched beauty is a pretty special sight.

Well marked trail with many view points. Great views of a good sized Palm grove

Fun trail. Great views. I took this trail years ago and they’ve made some good changes.

Not difficult. Can be a little dusty. You can park at trailhead which is a little before the visitor center. Trail is well marked and views from top of the hill are nice.

Fun hike. Moderate w a bit of incline. Tons of beautiful wildflowers out!

Pretty steep climb to start but worth it! The path is very well groomed and marked - OUTSTANDING views. The desert is in bloom, bursting with the smells and beauty of various yellow, white, purple & green. Even the odd Barrel Cactus has pretty flowers extended. HIGHLY recommended but take lots of water - shade is hard to find in the AM past noon.

Great weather when we went and we went through so many different sections of different flowers. It was even fun to off-road it and not have to worry about getting too lost. Would definitely do it again!

We started hiking at 6:30am and reached the Palm Oasis at a perfect time in great soft morning light. It was so quiet and we enjoyed listening to the chirping of the birds.

Great hike. Awesome views. We were the only ones on a Saturday morning. My 8yr old and 11yr old had no problem with this hike and we enjoyed it very much.

We followed signs to Pushwalla Palms up along the mountain ridge. Not recommended for anybody scared of heights. Once we got down in the Pushwalla Palms Oasis we followed the river down towards Washington St. We ended up a little lost trying to get back up to the trails. My husband didn't really want to go uphill again but I think that's where we went wrong. If you follow my path I think we should have stayed on the outside of the hills and followed it around until we saw the Hidden Palms Oasis. Glad it was an overcast day since we didn't bring water and it ended up being longer then I thought. Lots of breathtaking scenery.

great hike here today. We got a late start -almost 2:45pm but were back at the car by 5:15. Starts to get cold with out the sun and the ridge was blocking it on the backside of the loop.

Monday, July 25, 2016

A very pleasant and quite moderate hike. The descent into the Pushawalla Palms area can be tricky (lots of loose rocks) for a few yards... but then the oasis is awesome. If you don't wish to do the whole loop because the second half (southern portion) is not as scenic as the canyon itself, you can go back the same way when you reach the metal fence at the mouth of the canyon. Very pleasant and easy to reach trails system!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Overall a decent hike. Trail markings could have been better, especially when you get to Pushwalla Palms. The palms were awesome as was the river valley they are in

Friday, March 20, 2015

It's a good hike to do in the area - right on the San Andres Fault - pretty cool unless the big one comes while your there. The main attractions are walking along the elevated fin (don't venture into most of the canyons along side - more dull there). However, make sure to go to the Pushwalla Canyon at the end of the hike to see the palms, and the valley at the end. It should be mostly an out and back. Don't go anywhere close to summer, way to hot (except where the Palms are). No dogs, even on leash.

Monday, December 29, 2014

We hiked the Pushawalla Loop in late December. Great hike- about 4.5miles with 300ft elevation gain. Hiked down into palm tree forests that was very novel for us coming from Washington state! Expansive views of the valley as well.

Saturday, April 05, 2014

This hike looks like a lot if fun but I wasn't able to do it.. Definitely not dog friendly, even though it's listed as dog friendly. Super bummed, but I'll return some other time to properly experience it and review it without my pup. Also, directions took me to an off-road area that my car wouldn't make it through, but when I went to the visitors center, the start of it was there. Just a heads up(:

Thursday, March 15, 2012

This was a good hike. Amazing start with great views from the ridge. We followed the signs marking the trail all the way to the palms. Then we were told to follow the stream to the wash where the old car wreck is. Found it. Then follow the wash out and around to the start. This didn't happen. Somehow we ended up in Indio Hills about 7 miles away from the start. Strange as there was only one was to follow. Anyway, good hike and a learning experience.