Hidden Falls Trail

MODERATE 1,084 reviews

Hidden Falls Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Auburn, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Please Note: Visitors must make reservations for weekends and holidays online before accessing trail.

This was a great hike. 1.5 mile walk from the parking lot to the waterfall. The hike to the falls overlook is easy, very low incline and easy trail head. When you get to the waterfall it is almost a climb to get down to the swimming area, so take that into consideration if you decide to bring your kids or if you have limitations.

I hiked the entire loop around the park and I tracked 8 miles on my Apple Watch. The trail around the park is a dirt road, perfect for mountain biking or horses. I suggest bringing extra water because after the falls there isn’t another spring until you reach the halfway point. The trail around the park is very easy, slight incline and trail thinning towards the end. It’s not too hard if you take is slow and make sure to take breaks in the shade. I will definitely come back and use this park for trail running in the future.

Great main trail and excellent side trails to bike away from pedestrians! Well kept park and plenty of shade!!

Did the whole 10 miles around! Good amount of shade but take LOTS of water!!

This place was my very first hike and my wife and I loved it! I’m a beginner and this place had what I needed for a comfortable, worry-free hike (paper maps, maps along the trails and signs everywhere). Hidden Falls was also such a gorgeous place and we hit up Knee Deep Brewing Co (15min drive) afterwards! Will be going back real soon for sure!

Be sure to make reservations for weekends and holidays online! Trails are well marked and maintained. Bring some Tecnu if you’re sensitive to poison oak because it’s everywhere. Bring lots of extra water when it’s hot or avoid the wider, less covered trails.

beautiful hike, falls can be amazing during certain times of the year.

Checked out this area today, was there from 10am-3pm exploring what the park had to offer. First things first, due to its increase in popularity and limited parking availability the park requires that guests purchase parking permits for weekends and holidays. However, I did not need to purchase one today as it was a non holiday Monday. The drive to the park is lovely and there are plenty of signs pointing you in the right direction to location along way. It is also a horse and dog friendly area and mountains bikers are welcome. The trails are clearly marked with signs and they have easy to read maps along them as well. From the quality of the bridges and signs you can tell that the park is well taken care of. I hiked a lot of different trails today. The hidden falls out look was beautiful, great photo opportunity. Also you can hike down into the creek which they flow into and enjoy the water and have a picnic. I definitely recommend bring snacks, a lunch and lots of water. Although the major of the trails are shaded it still gets hot. Hiked otter loop, creek side, gold finch, south legacy and poppy trails today. All are great and lined with gorgeous wild flowers. Definitely would recommend this area to families because the trails can be enjoyable for all ages.

Took my wife and 5 year old boy and 7 month old boy it was awesome! We should’ve took south loop trail at the bridge instead of going over the bridge we had a stroller and it didn’t make it we had to turn around literally a few hundred feet from the platform. So take south loop if you want to smooth way!

way, way to crowded. waterfalls are pretty dinky, and dont really run unless it just rained. poison oak and ticks everywhere. some partial shade which is good because the spring and summer temps get over 100. now you need a reservation to even get in.. much better ways to spend a morning than this

Went with friends on a weekend. And if you didn’t know by know reservations are required and a park ranger will stop you to check for your paper work.

We did a 8.5 miles loop around the entire park so we got a pretty good take as to what it has to offer. A good portion of the trail is what I would consider “service roads” and the other half of the loop is actual dirt trails. When we went early in the morning not much hikers were there. More bikers and horses. And that’s where this park loses its two stars.

Absolutely beautiful foothills and small waters falls that make for a great background noise but the sharing of the trails is the fall of this park. Bicycles are supposed to yield to pedestrians but they come in so fast and yell that they are on your left that you instinctively jump out of the way. And these guys are doing the loop like a race track. From dodging the bikes you also dodge loads......loads of horse poop and even on the smaller trails where I believe they aren’t even allowed. And aside from horse poop, there is dog poop to the max on the trails. Other than that it’s a great day hike.

Short hike to the waterfall but there are many trails around to explore the park. I definitely wished I had a mountain bike to ride on creek side trail along the creek! The weather was around mid 70’s and the waterfall was beautiful. There were many shady areas, benches, and maps.

Was not impressed with the waterfall if you can even call it that. It was a decent day though. I didn't really enjoy the gravel trails most of the way around.
There are a lot of little side trails to do. We managed to hike a total of 12 miles through here.

Great hike! On some weekends it’s online reservations only so be sure to check if the park is full before you go!

So beautiful with a lot of variety of trails.

Great hike to take my dog on.

I loved this trail. beautiful. Inclines made it a workout.

Awesome place to get out close to home! Very well maintained trail system!

Beautiful and well laid out! You can be entertained for hours. Just be sure to make a reservation on weekends

Super easy hike only a few steep climbs
Easter Sunday morning was great very few peeps out there

Awesome!!! Also make sure you have plenty of high quality H2O.

Hike was pretty chill going clockwise around the trail is pretty chill... it’s more downhill in the start then uphill on the way back!

Waterfall was cool but would have been cooler if you could go in it! Water was also pretty murky so did not jump in! There are two good lookout points along the trail (ones at the waterfall and one is just over the bridge after the waterfall)

Went on a Wednesday around 3:30pm and didn’t need reservations but you may need them on a busier day!

Overall the hike is more of a trail walk... would have given it a 3 Star if there wasn’t a waterfall to see!

Overall 3.5 stars!

This trail has been on my list to go for about a year; finally decided to go. Parking was a little different, you have to buy your parking tickets online before going. There's no ticket attendant to sell you tickets to get in but there is a park ranger checking if you bought the ticket.

The trail wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. I had thought the trail would be near water majority of the time but I was wrong. Overall hiking experience was fine, easy, small steep hills and plenty of shades from surrounding trees.

Waterfall is fun to watch as well. Although the waterfall didn't appear to be that big maybe because there was no snow or rain lately.

Attempted fishing as well but no luck. I fished at the two waterfalls in hopes that it was fish and it looks like it had fish but nothing was caught.

Did the full loop and it was a beautiful hike. I love how you can take the side trails that branch off the the main legacy trail. Just beware of all the horse poop!

Great hike!

weekdays are where it's at. Beautiful hike.

Great family place to hike with tons of trails to choose from. We loved seeing all the horseback riders. Great for dogs as well.

I can’t rate this trail yet. Do Not Go on weekends or holidays if you don’t have parking reservations! They don’t sell them there and will turn you away. No where else close enough to park to hike.

Great hike with tons of different trails. Great for dogs. Loved seeing all the horses !!!

Requires parking reservation.

Fun trail to bring the dogs on. Very green and pretty on our spring-like February day hike