Learn more

Hidden Falls Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newcastle, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.2 mi Elevation gain 475 ft Route type Loop

Photos (922)
Recordings (819)
Completed (4232)
Geah Lumbre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020

The trail was nice. I would suggest going earlier in the day if the weather is very warm. There’s little to no shade. It’s a very beautiful nature hike. However, there are warning signs for rattles snakes & mountain lions but we didn’t see any.

Hannah Arrington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingGreat!

Super fun, great trail for beginners. The water is crystal clean and beautiful, when you get to the pool it’s great to take a quick dip. The dogs had the most fun climbing around on the rocks. Elevation gain and decrease isn’t too steep.

Parvinder Kaur

Easy and friendly trail.just be aware of mountain lions

Amanda Kruskamp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike!! Don’t forget your parking pass

View Amanda's Recording
Rae Vander Werf
Nature tripsGreat!

Fun easy fir all ages

adrienne richardson

beautiful trail! would suggest going when its less hot but love this!!!

Karina A.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trail was clearly marked and not hard at all! Went on a Friday at around 10am and there was plenty of parking and only crossed paths with other hikers a handful of times!

Chad Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020
View Chad's Recording
Demi Lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 6, 2020
Hiking

My 4 year old, my German Shepherd and I come here at least once a week. We love this spot for a quick little hike. There’s plenty of trails to walk. My biggest advice is please be aware of your surroundings, bikes, hikers, horses, etc. normally everyone I come across is nice but lately some people on horses have been EXTREMELY rude. I am very aware when anyone is passing so I always stop & my son knows to stop as well. But some people think they own the place. Just be mindful, it’s a busy trail.

Yamato Akimoto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

During COVID-19 it's a little tough because the trails get super narrow and they are not one way. We went mid morning on a Monday and the look outs got a little crowded with all the people.

View Yamato's Recording
Vicky Hramts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

The falls are worth it!!!

View Vicky's Recording
marilou contreras
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I would recommend the trail beautiful views brings lots of water and hiking shoes some area are not shady and at the end you have to climb rocks.

View marilou 's Recording
k kim
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020

Nice easy hike

Nathan Trauernicht
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

This is a nice and easy trail for most people. Probably the biggest things to watch out for are the LARGE amount of horse poop on the trails. There are some rocky portions of trail that kids and the “older” hikers should use caution on. Plenty of places to rest and take in the views along the way!

View Nathan's Recording
Nicole Young
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

Overall a very nice trail! The beginning of the trail is paved with pebbles, but then turns into dirt. If you’re trying to get to the falls, it can get a little confusing. I suggest taking the paved pebble road to Poppy Trail, then cross a tiny bridge, and then take the overlook path to the left. There is a lot of room for exploring since there are so many different trails! There is water access if you hike down the hill after you take the overlook path. The water is strong, but safe enough to swim in if you go down aways from the waterfall. Watch out for poison oak if you’re going to explore off the trail!

Abigail Hery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2020
Rocky
View Abigail's Recording
Brandi Dunrud
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingFeeRocky

It was beautiful out there, but I would not classify it as easy at all. Even the park map says it’s moderate.

Nana Pong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020

lots of horse manure on trail. if dog owners pick up poop, horse riders should do the same. trail is well marked.

Angel Call
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

My 60 year old mom, my sister, and I went to these trails this morning and LOVED it! My mom is in great health, but does have knee issues and she was able to navigate the route we took. Be aware that the start is all downhill which means the end is all uphill. We took South Legacy way to Hidden Falls Access trail and outlook, then took North Legacy way back to SLW to the parking lot. It was incredible! Hidden Falls Access Trail does get narrower and a bit more rocky but it is something I think most 8 year olds could do. We stopped at the falls and had a snack before returning. There was plenty of shade while we were there and it was nice and cool. We went EARLY to avoid the heat and also avoided any crowds. We definitely want to come back and explore more of these trails.

Javon Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Fee

This is marked as an easy trail but it is not. We took the Poppy trail for more shade and was thankful for the shaded parts in this 90°+ weather. However, when I see easy I think small children can do it with no problem. Although my 6 year old did well I saw other moms carrying their children back. The water is a nice temperature and fun for kids and adults to play in. Where we stopped for water fun was a little slippery but nice. The walk back on Poppy wasn't bad but it is a little uphill. Do not drink all of your water on the way down because you will need it coming back. The beginning part of the trail is marked with caution tape because there is a tree. Buy your parking pass in advance. Take water and Sun Block. Be mindful that this is a busy trail. lost of people are out. Yes, we should stay 6 feet apart but that can be hard so be respectful and be kind.

Kristen Zanzi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020
Hiking

Did the hike with a 4 yr old lab and 16 yr old and it was nice. I didn’t realize the first mile was all down hill, meaning coming back up Was harder than I thought. (And hot) But when you get to the falls it was all worth it! A lot of sun coming back up so go early. Take a lunch and sit by the water and eat before heading back up. Nice hike for an “easy” one. I’m not an avid hiker so for me it was a little hard. But I’m old and out of shape!

Marie Rico
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
Hiking

My daughter and I did this trail two months ago and it’s absolutely beautiful.

Rachel Lucas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingFee

dog friendly trail but look out for the sticky plants, my dog was covered in them! Two overlooks and great views

View Rachel's Recording
Mauricio Flores Sandoval
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
HikingFee

Nice little trail that lead to water which is a plus in this hot weather. Some spots dont have any shade (usually the paved road) kid friendly.

View Mauricio's Recording
Elizabeth Trine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2020
HikingFee

Register online before you go for your parking pass $8.00 Good trail, not a 5 star tho.... Lots of traffic, Many side trails, it was very hot that day Bring lots of water

Kami Kincheloe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2020
Hiking

Completed this hike today. Overall I’d rate it as easy though parts of walk back had some nice incline. Did about 4.5 miles maybe a little less. Stopped at a nice swimming hole but with 30 minutes or so it was crowded so we left and ventured on. There seem to be few areas to access water -not sure. A bit too busy for us but overall good easy hike. Feel Free to join FB group Northern CA Hike enthusiasts, explorers and seekers for some Positve interactions with fellow hikers.

Jack Estrada
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
HikingFee

I love this trail. It gives you the options to go easy or difficult. What I thought was going to be a breezy 3 mile hike turned into a 6 mile with some friends. The further out you go past the falls, the more quiet it gets. Great weather on this day. The only issue is that it’s popular, so you have to reserve parking and if you get a half day, you have to be done by when that time slot ends. I booked the morning half assuming you have to arrive between the times and the ranger was nice enough to let us stay. It didn’t seem too busy until we were heading out. Lots of shade but watch out for horse poop. I’d rank it easy to moderate. A solid 6 on my trek!

Kathleen Almeida
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2020
WalkingRocky

There's definitely some incline but it's easy! Follow the signs for the falls. You want to go to your right. Also, it can get narrow and rocky so pay attention. There's an area where you can get wet. I did this hike by myself early in the am and that's the best time to go. As I was leaving it was getting crowded. You have to register on line and be ready to show proof. Have fun!