Hidden Falls to River Otter Loop

Hidden Falls to River Otter Loop is a 4.2 mile loop trail located near Auburn, California that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike, I’d rate it moderate rather than easy because of the hill and some areas of uneven ground, loose gravel, etc. It will be easy for a hiker, less so for a weekend walker. The waterfalls are ok, nothing to get too worked up about. The trails are well maintained and there is excellent signage. We arrived on a weekday and were confronted with the sign stating that online reservations were required. This was because weekdays during holiday periods are treated as weekends, according to the sympathetic ranger at the entrance, so be aware. I was able to set up an online profile using the WiFi from the rangers booth. Thankfully there was still some parking availability.

I suggest going early before the crowds & the heat. I took my senior mom my teenage daughter and our poodle, it is definitely a trail for the whole family.

Good local hike. Go fairly early especially during the summer because it gets very hot. Lots of mosquitos and cute little waterfalls.

Found this gem of a location while photographing Waterfalls in Northern Cal. This trail offers hikes from Easy to Hard. Gorgeous trails that offer stunning wildflowers in the spring. Important: Weekend Parking requires a permit with fee, but no permit required during the week and parking is free.

Very nice enjoyable hike. Ranger was very helpful for our first time to the park. The waterfall was rushing! We came on a Sunday and it wasn’t too crowded at all.

Found the trails through this app.

Bad part lots of horse poop on trail.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

We did this hike on Christmas day, there were about 5 or 6 different happy families we encountered. It was a nice easy hike with well defined trails, bridges and overlooks. Several different trails intersect so you have options to do a little or a lot! Kid and dog friendly and pretty accessible overall. I don't think I would do this hike again. Once was enough. There are so many more trails in this area to explore!

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Be prepared to reserve your spot online beforehand or pull out of the way of the entrance and hope you have cell signal to create a profile. I believe this only applies on weekends and holidays. All day pass is $8. Plenty of people on a Saturday if you don’t mind that. Best for families with small children. I felt the signs to find this trail were not that easy to follow.

Sunday, January 29, 2017