Hidden Bear Trail

Hidden Bear Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Colton, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I went right at sunrise. The view was perfect. Just enough challenge of steepness and a nice wide path. Only saw two people during my hour of hiking.

Very steep in some places. Saw a couple of hawks and lizards. Nice resting spot ( wooden bench).

I’ve been to this trail about three times in a span of 2 weeks and I love it. I admire the views, the variety of Hills, numerous trails, the breeze you feel at the top peaks and the many challenges you experience. It has the challenging parts where it becomes a steep incline and decline. The view is captivating! I took my chichuahua and she hung in there to do the entire 6 mile hike. She loved it! I am looking to go back and conquer it and explore more of it. Great hiking experience!

Loved this hike. Felt like you were away from the city. Saw wildlife. Coyote, Hawks, birds. Heard an owl. I did a morning hike. Started bout 6:30 and got to the turn around as sun was coming up. Then had the sun to my back on way back which was nice. So if your going in the morning. Go early so you don’t have the sun on your face. Overall great hike. Took about 2 hours. Stopped here and there to enjoy the view.

This is a really great hike! It's as challenging as it is scenic, and the six miles go by relatively quickly. The first half is a steady incline to the highest point of the hike, and even then the elevation varies, thankfully leveling out for periods at a time before drastically ascending up the canyon ridges. There are only a couple of points where the incline gets intimidatingly steep, but it's more than doable.

Visually it's one of my favorite hikes in the area. Grand Terrace, Colton, and Loma Linda are all visible for the first three miles before the trail takes you into the heart of the canyons, where they rise up on both sides, effectively disconnecting you from the civilized world. You'll see a lot of the same plant and wildlife that you've seen on any of the hikes around the area. You'll also find plenty of big black ants and stinkbugs. I do recall hearing coyotes howling as it got dark.

Overall I had a really great time on this trail. I suggest doing it about an hour and a half before sunset as the light makes the landscape look stunning. It also gives you enough time to get back to your car while it's still relatively light out. The trail can get overgrown near the end, so I suggest taking long pants or taking one of the many easier routes.

Also, on your way back you have a choice to either take the same path you took in, or you can walk the residential side streets back to Prado Park. I tend to do the latter if I get back later than planned.