Learn more

Hermit Falls Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 698 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note: Trail is CLOSED on the weekend (Friday-Sunday). There are police cars not allowing access or letting you walk up! Only open Monday-Thursday. From the Foothill Freeway (I-210) in Arcadia, take the Santa Anita Avenue exit and drive north to Chantry Flat, 4.6 miles.

Hello not here for a review but a question we’re do I make reservations ? Last time I was up there they told me I needed to make reservation

Awesome trail. I recommend any adrenaline junkies to come. There’s a nice cliff jumping area. It’s somewhere between 50 feet. Besides that it’s a nice area to go on a trail.

The trail is by no means difficult, it is however pretty narrow in certain areas so just be careful. There isn’t much shade in the first maybe half a mile but after that, you’re good. It is very beautiful!

My wife and I enjoyed the trail, however, like others have said, there was trash everywhere, stickers stuck on Agave, and a party of people (40ish people) at Hermit Falls in proximity to one another with no masks. Kinda disappointed with how people treat our parks and trails :(

Beautiful trail. EXCEPT....On the way I was thinking how I’d return to this hike...then I got to the area near the waterfall. Graffiti and trash everywhere. Crowded with Gen Zs smoking - which explains the graffiti and trash. (Yeah I said it.) Should have just stopped at the final water crossing. Also, PSA: We are at our highest peak of the pandemic so far and still climbing, please be courteous and wear a mask.

Is it open on the weekend I wanna go tomorrow

Nice hike, from what I remember. Some rope climbing towards the end. Quite shaded overall. Down side is all the tagging on the rocks towards the end.

One of my favorite hikes in the area! It was shady, downhill to get there, and uphill back. The only issue is that most people did not wear masks at all. PLEASE WEAR MASKS WHEN PASSING

Great hike !! Will do it again

Probably the most beautiful trail I have hiked, and I have hiked on 4 continents. The way down follows an idyllically beautiful creek lit in summer by light filtering through the dense foliage. The falls at the end is a source of endless pleasure, visual for the older folk and physical for the younger, with cliff diving (anywhere from 25 to 50 feet) into a near-bottomless pool of near-freezing water. Everybody does it, Our grandchildren had to be dragged away after 20 or 30 jumps. The trail is a little more than an hour from the parking lot, one-way. One caveat: I am 77 years old and the walk down, with multiple non-bridge stream crossings, was difficult and exhausting. I would not call this "moderate" but I am glad I went.

Trail is CLOSED on the weekend (Friday-Sunday) There are police cars not allowing access or letting you walk up! Only open Monday-Thursday!!!! Such a bummer

Is this open already? For 2 weeks ive been checking they are still closed from the residential area.

this is a good hike getting to the falls was fun. a lot of people there having fun. will do this trail again

Trail is closed, cops blocking off entrance

Hiked to the falls this morning. Road was closed so you can’t park on Chantry Flats. It’s a little over 3 miles from residential parking to the start of the actual trail. Hermit falls was anti climactic and there was graffiti on some of the rocks which is sad. Trail to the falls was a good downhill switch backs which made it a good bit hard incline coming out. It was raining today going up the road but once we got in the trail it was nice and soft padded. Got there early enough so it wasn’t too crowded.

Filmed a Quick Guide youtube.com/watch?v=RIaUBhQaAlI Points of Interest are the 2 "Man-Made Waterfalls" and the waterfall itself which has a "pool" you can jump into. Great Experience! Parking was the hard part. Some reports of the gate being closed, be prepared to walk an extra 3 miles up an incline Hiked on 5-16-20 (Bumping up this comment)

Great hike! Good to get in for a good swim. Water is freezing cold but you get used to it. Gate was closed and had to walk up 3 miles to get to the trail. a lot of mosquitos. Other than that, would come again.

The trail is beautiful, a lot of greenery and shade, but if you don't get here before 8am you have to park outside and walk up the hill 4 miles without any shade, to the begining do the actual trail, if you have kids it is not easy. and same thing to come back only downhill. the trail is mostly going down hill to get to the falls, but up hill to get back up.

what a great day.. we stayed to outselfs. what a great hike. buy I have to say a lot of young people getting high by the falls. also people leaving trash.

Nice trail, some parts get rather thin. Come early because parking is difficult to find. I arrived at 7:30 am and had to park down the road a ways and walk up to the trail. There are some rocks that form a slide and some areas for jumping - bring a towel or change of clothes if you don't want to hike back up wet.

The trail is open! The road to get there is closed, so its an extra 3 miles up the road to get here, but the trail itself is open! Super worth it just bring snacks and water :)

Trail was closed 5-25-20

Trail is Open. Went this morning. One of my favorite trails. Short and sweet. Beautiful views everywhere. Went at 6 am to avoid crowds due to social distancing. By 8am there were crowds on the highway, and no parking for miles away. Tip: go early

This trail is open. Went today 5/24/20

is this spot open thinking of going this saturday anyone been there recently?

Definitely enjoyed this trail! Even with it being crowded most ppl were spread apart. Bring a snack & something to get wet in!

5/18/2020 Chantry Flats is open. The amount of trash in this area is unbelievable! People seem to think that someone is going to clean up after them when they’re out in nature. Trail is beautiful but the trash and the ridiculous amount of grafitti takes away from the overall experience. One and done for me. I hate people.