Hermit Falls Trail

Hermit Falls Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From the Foothill Freeway (I-210) in Arcadia, take the Santa Anita Avenue exit and drive north to Chantry Flat, 4.6 miles.

Great place, my legs were hurting by the end of the day. I will be returning. parking permit are only needed at the starting trail, when you see the sign that says permits are sold at the store. they only take cash.

Too much graffiti on the rocks. People need to respect nature.

Late review about a month. My friend and I were quite surprised at how easy of a hike this was. Getting to the falls was no problem. it was the falls that was the problem. There were none. There were only stagnant pools of water that people enjoyed jumping into. Coming back, we realized why the hike was so easy. we were going down. Going up was pretty inclined and strenuous because my friend and I were not very fit.

Great Trail

By far the most scenic hike at chantry flats and has less traffic than Sturtevant Falls. However the waterfall at Sturtevant is bigger and more captivating.

It's beautiful and fun. Getting there is easy and all down hill but the way back is uphill so you might need a couple breaks. Overall it's not too hard and is very enjoyable. Make sure to get your pass or bring $$ for parking.

Challenging for beginners but very do-able. Lots of shade. Unfortunately we went when the water was running low, but still a beautiful trail. The waterfall is good except for the graffiti every where around the rocks, took away from the natural beauty. Recommend jumping into the water if you can.

Nice trail with lots of shade and follows river
however, way too much graffiti and trash. so sad.

Nice trail. Drive all the way to the hill with nice scenery. First part of the hike is on the pavement going downhill, then on dirt road with nice shade all the way to waterfall. Love it! Great view and shades!

cliff jumping

First things first..... bring $5 CASH for parking! There are several small trails when you go to hermit falls. I went on the Sturtevant trail which ended with a waterfall. It’s beautiful... possible engagement photo shoot location for folks. Along the trail you will see small cabins and a few creeks. Great lower body workout

Not bad, all of the graffiti on the rocks was disappointing.

Short trail but with some great swimming holes

It’s easy to walk in beautiful to see

Amazing view

The hike is great but once you get to the falls it’s garbage it’s sad that people love to make Mother Nature look like the city. Please stop making mother look like the dead city’s

Great hike with my 6 & 7 year old boys. Some of the trails were narrow and sketchy. If you slipped off you would probably done for. There wasn't much of a waterfall at the end but the pool was deep enough for cliff jumping. I did the big cliff jump and didn't have any difficulties except trying to climb back up the side of the cliff. Overall it was a great experience, if I did it again I would probably secure my kids to me with rope so if they slipped I would be able to pull them up the steep cliffs. I read that a high school senior in June slipped off the trail and fell a 100ft to his death...be careful out there and enjoy!!

this time of year weather wasnt bad, 78 degrees. plenty of shade and benches in the beginning of hike. signs for hermit falls are a bit unclear but if you take the main walkway down and go to the right- its a straight shot from there. water is only 3 feet, good to just lounge around. saw a baby rattlesnake so be cautious! this hike has a lot of hills and uneven walkways definetly not a good match for someone clumsy or elderly.

The trail has decent scenery and is well kept, and there is plenty of shade once you get going. It wasn't extremely crowded but it was a rough crowd. Hikers were blaring music from speakers on the trail and at the falls and more than 30 college aged kids were drinking and smashing bottles. A drunk boy fell and dislocated his shoulder. Some of the hikers were friendly and even helped my kids safely use the rock slides. the water felt amazing and the area was beautiful but the crowd will prevent me going back.