Hensley Lake Day Use Areas Trail

Hensley Lake Day Use Areas Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Madera, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 328 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Madera, CA: Follow Road 400 northeast for 17 miles to reach Hensley Lake.

This hiking trail was great. Many different areas to explore, bike trails are amazing, lake was cold on a hot day. Clean, lots of wildlife, saw a few snakes. Overall, great place for first timers, advanced climbers, kids, dogs. Amazing ♡

Great views but trail is marked at some areas so easy to get lost or off trail.

Great views and fairly easy. There were several people on bikes and with their dogs. We're amateurs so we turned back around after walking 30 minutes on the trail but we'll definitely will be back!

Beautiful views, gorgeous spring flowers. More uphill trail than I anticipated but my own fault for not doing my homework. Pristinely clean trail, easy to find and park. Highly recommend. It’s pretty sunny, so if it’s warm stick to early in the day for best comfort.

I absolutely loved this lake/trail. it was so clean, I didn't see not one peice of trash! Bathrooms were also clean and well kept. I was the only person in the entire place, which was nice. Took my 3 dogs on an adventure and they had so much fun. we were able to easily go off trail as the grass is very short and green in the winter. I already want to go back!

Great walk with the dogs. The trails can get a a bit narrow due to mountain bikes. The three stars is mostly because there are many paths to follow and there are no clear signs. Also, there is a section that has a field of some kind of spikey plant. If you avoid that area and are okay taking any path it’s a really great walk.

Sun Aug 05 2018

Very nice mtn bike trail. No one around at all.

Sun Mar 25 2018

Beautiful at this time of year. It would be nice if the mountain bikers that use this could do some repairs to the rutted areas where erosion follows the tire tracks.

Sat Mar 24 2018

Great quick hike with some moderate hills.

Sun Mar 18 2018

Thu Mar 08 2018

Love this trail. Easygoing and beautiful.

Mon Feb 12 2018

Nice trail with lots of options for side routes.

Thu Feb 08 2018

This was a beautiful race. 10k trail run!

Fri Jan 05 2018

Would love to have more time on this trail. We took a quick sunset hike to see where this led and had a good time. Dog friendly, which is always a plus for us!

Thu Aug 10 2017

very nice place for a short walk, the views are nice I recommend it for everyone

Mon Mar 20 2017

Great place to take the dog for some running and biking. There are many options to make each visit a little different. Nothing too technical, but some sustained, steeper climbs will get the heart pumping.

Sat Mar 04 2017

Great Hike... easy for all the family... Loved all the beautiful wild flowers along the trail

Sat Aug 20 2016

peaceful river where the dog was free to run around

Tue Apr 26 2016

It was a great little spot for interval training. Not a good spot for a nice trail run though. That said, this place had me thinking I needed to go buy a mountain or Hybrid bike. I shall be back, better equipped next time.

Mon Feb 22 2016

My friends know I like this hike so for my birthday, Valentine's Day we hiked the loop out past Nesting Eagles and more wild flowers than you could shake your hiking sticks to the river. There's lots to do with hiking, biking, horseback riding frisby golf, boating, fishing, boating etc. My "Service Animal" Friday is a Lab, he gets to be a regular dog on these trails and I apologize to the ground squirrels and rabbits he has harassed. This is a great spring hike