Hellhole Canyon Open Space Preserve Trails

Hellhole Canyon Open Space Preserve Trails is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Valley Center, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

An easy hike in an area with blooming flora to enjoy. At the beginning of the hike there are signs that give you information about the area. There are a few loops or hikes you can do in the preserve so you can make your hike as long or as short as you'd like.

You can really pick your poison with this one. Went early in the day but still got pretty hot by around 12pm. There's zero shade except for little random trees here and there. I enjoyed this hike even with all the ups and downs. Really great place to hike if you are looking for a workout. I didn't make my way up to either peak, but I'm definitely coming back for more. Good place overall, 4 stars because the trails were overgrown. My legs weren't covered and they got torn up.

I enjoyed several aspects of this trail. Just went early this sat morning and only came across 2 people the entire hike. Trail winds down going in and has areas of easy followed by some loose, rocky incline and decline. Being extra water

Not one of my favorites for a June hike. Maybe better when cooler. Very overgrown trail. Not many other hikers which was nice.

Awesome hike. Completed the paradise mountain trail to the top then to Rodriguez for the loop on 6/10/17 and had the place to ourselves. Definitely make it to the top of paradise mountain, you won't be disappointed. Trails are getting overgrown and makes watching for snakes tough (we came across 1 non-rattle). If I were going again in the near future, I'd go up and back the paradise mtn trail, but the mileage will be shorter. Some parts are easy, most is moderate, and some is a steep incline/decline in very rutted terrain. Great hike, do it!

Open FRIDAY - MONDAY 8am to sunset.

This is an awesome hike, with a pleasant surprise, a well-marked trail that was not on the list that takes you to the summit of Paradise Mountain with incredible 360 views. This extra leg of the hike I would rate moderate to hard. Bring more water if that's your plan. WARNING: Trail is only open to the public on Fridays, Sundays and Mondays. We didn't know and were just very lucky!

This is an excellent hike that offers scenic views and a nice challenge if you are looking for it.

The initial descent into the canyon is a moderate downhill on a nice trail. When we reached the canyon it had quite a bit of water and people. If you are people adverse, however, fear not because that was the last time we crossed pathes with anyone. It was all up hill for us after that. We went up Rodriguez Mountain, which is a lung buster, and had lunch. Great 360 views of the surrounding areas and massive patches of wildflowers.

The descent was a little rough. the recent rains had washed out and loosen up a lot of the trail which wasn't much of a problem going up but coming down there were a few slips and falls, just have to be cautious. It is a very nice to go downhill until you reach the canyon and you have to go back up. One final leg burner and you are home free.

Overall, a nice hike to a beautiful and rewarding view.

In my opinion this is a wonderful hike. The trail is well marked with colored map placards at several intersections. I started off with the intention of completing the Hellhole Creek Trail but after checking to make sure I had more than enough water, I ended up doing the Rodriguez Mountain and Paradise Trail as well.

Adding the Rodriguez Mountain and Paradise Trail was an exceptionally good idea. The views are amazing from all directions. As you approach the summit of Rodriguez Mountain you are given the opportunity of selecting 3 viewpoints that are somewhat in the same vicinity of each other.

Atop Rodriguez Mountain you can turn back the way you came or continue onto the Paradise Trail. The Paradise trail takes you on a ridge and then gradually brings you to the Horsethief Trail. This trail intersects with Hellhole Creek Trail and takes you back to the staging area.

Adding the Rodriguez Mountain and Paradise Trails created a loop. From Staging area, through Hellhole Creek Trail, Rodriguez Mountain and Paradise Trails and then back to the staging area was 10.2 miles in total.

In my opinion this was an exceptional trail but then again, I love the outdoors. Its getting warm so please, please bring an ample amount of water with you and know your limitations.

Happy Trails to you all and remember! Not all who wander, are lost.