Heller's Bend Preserve Trail

Heller's Bend Preserve Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fallbrook, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Interesting trail, great incline at the beginning and then trail stops because it is overgrown.

I've done this several times and I have NO clue how they get 1.9 miles. I don't track milage but I know that it takes me 15 min. to he top and I usually will hike to the top 3 or 4 times. The trail is paved and its incredibly steep. I have never seen anyone else on the trail. I would rate this as a very short moderate/ difficult trail. parking is non existent. if you are not in the area, I wouldn't make a trip to hike this.

Trail on end of map really over grown. Trail eroded in places. Very sketchy trail. Good trail at the beginning

Friday, June 23, 2017

The trail had a decent steady incline, it was also a lot shorter than the mileage stated on the app.
Kid friendly, parking is sketchy, trail stops when the pavement stops.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Short but sweet! Nice incline.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Washed out trail, but at least it is a uphill trail for the legs.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Certainly not easy at least 4 me has a killer elavation change 7 stories

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Hiked this "trail" this morning. If you blink you'll miss the entrance, so watch out for the white ranch style signing because that is all there is. There is no parking lot just street parking along Hellers Bend road. The trail is paved the whole way up however there are dirt trails off on the sides. When you get to the top it appears the trail keeps going but is a dirt path. We followed this around and down another side of the hill and ended up on someone's private property. There was a chain with a Heller's Bend sign saying "No ATVs" so we had assumed this was just a barrier so atv's and other vehicles aren't used in the trail. Nope. So we had to climb back up the hill and then back down the paved trail. It wasn't a bad hike but I wish there was more signage and clear marker where you are not to go farther because it is someone's property.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Parking is horrible. Very up hill.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Great trail - so beautiful! Watch for poison oak, though. The place is crawling with it right now.

Monday, February 29, 2016

It was great. My wife and I managed it very well. We went with our 1 year old and she walked the whole thing (so you can imagine the pace). It is a little steep at certain points and short but for the most part it has great views and it was awesome.

Monday, December 28, 2015

Great for the family. A very short hike with a sharp incline.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

This out and back trail is great to get your heart going. Short but steady incline. Well maintained. Pretty creek at the beginning/end if the trail. We were met on the way down off of a dirt turn off by 2 very large German Shepherds who chased my son and his friend down the trail. We suspect they live there. Terrifying! :)

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Private little hike that is great for getting the heart going because it's all uphill/downhill. The creak was at the foot of the hill only (so pretty).

Saturday, May 16, 2015

First time here. I'm building stamina to get myself and 10 month puppy ready for some long hikes. I am an overweight older woman with asthma so this trail is a great start for us. parking is on the street. Like everyone said it is uphill. And I mean uphill. when you finish the pavement there is a dirt trail up the hill further. By the end my lungs were burning and the pup panting lol. I live about 15 minutes away and will go again. Nice sceanery. Quiet and even on a Saturday morning uncrowded.

Wednesday, February 04, 2015

I wanted to add that it only takes me 30 minutes to complete, and I'm just working up to strenuous hikes.

Wednesday, February 04, 2015

I love this little trail for a quick burst of exercise. Quite steep. The trail is paved, the view is outstanding

Sunday, September 14, 2014

nice little hike, a little bit of water but not much due to the drought but if you're looking for an easy hike then you should try this one! there were some nice views at the top, it has a little bit of a steep incline towards the top but nothing big, it's a paved trail as well.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Nice trail through the oaks & sycamores up to the top of the hill for fantastic views of the surrounding area.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

a lot of bang for the buck. quick, short hike--mostly uphill with a nice view at the top. great for tiring out the dog! the 3 times i've been here, i've never seen another person on this trail. there is no parking lot, so just maneuver carefully around the entrance.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

This is a pleasant stream and hillside reserve tucked away in the area south of Fallbrook. Lots of cool live oak and a nice view at the extreme range of the trail.

Saturday, September 07, 2013

This is a sewer place, withvery steep incline

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Fast and hard good hoke

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Intense mile and a half up-and-down

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

This hike was unfortunately much shorter than I predicted (I guess I should have paid more attention to the details on this site). I made it to the top in 15 minutes, so that as a bit of a buzzkill.

However, I did enjoy it and we were the only ones there on a midweek midmorning. It is a straight-up butt-kicker through some nice native forest, and I guess you could do it or parts of it more than once if you wanted the extra calories burnt. Now I know and next time I'll probably leave my older dog at home so the younger ones and I can do some hill sprints after the first ascent.

The parking was a bit dicey--I parked as far up against the while fence as I could with my midsized car (VW Jetta), and still felt a bit weird about it on that road. If you have a huge car I would definitely be nervous about parking there and have no idea where else would be better.

I would not recommend going out of your way for this one, though if you live in the Fallbrook/North Vista/East Oceanside area, or are traveling through on the 76 and are in need of a quick one, this could do the job.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Lacking a parking lot, you can leave your car on the side of the road near the white gate entrance. Steep 30 minute climb up a paved pathway to a small flat view point with benches when you reach the top. Good workout rewarded with a great view of Fallbrook!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A nice little uphill hike. I dont know if there's a parking lot but I just parked on the side of the road near the white gate. Trail was kind of messy... lots of poo. For the most part though I enjoyed it. The view at the top was nice.

Friday, August 05, 2011

The trail is steep and it is paved most of the way up. There is a river that you see at the start of the trail. The view from the top is awesome though. There are benches on top to sit on and enjoy the view.