Learn more

Helix Flume Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeside, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.6 mi Elevation gain 1,292 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (85)
Recordings (115)
Completed (200)
Danielle Powell
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 15 2020

Closed!

Chris S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 23 2020
Hiking

Straight up lots of switchbacks

View Chris's Recording
Kyle Holbrook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 21 2020
Hiking

This trail was nice but mostly it was mostly switch backs. The scenery was beautiful!

View Kyle's Recording
Lourdes Enriquez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 14 2020
Hiking

This is a dog friendly hike. My pup was off leash and she had a grand time. The views at the top of the mountain were amazing. The ranger said there was a mountain lion site about a month ago so be alert.

View Lourdes's Recording
Greg Richmond
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 16 2020

This hike was a very pleasant surprise due learning about the engineering achievement of the Flume. Alltrails has this as a short hike but it misses a large chunk of the Flume! I went up all the way to the top although that ends up awkwardly in a new subdivision neighborhood, and on the way down I felt still fresh because it's a short hike and so I explored an area that for some reason is not on this app. it turns out that it actually is a mantained trail that has more information presented to you by placards and it is the other side of the flume. you can see it on my recording. it's an out and back and it's very flat and easy, and the best part of the hike because of its solitary nature because no one goes there. it ends with a sign telling you that the county trail has ended and it's obvious when to turn back. it was also green when I went and the most beautiful part of the bike.

Nicole Kreps
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Feb 06 2020
HikingOver grown

I accidentally went onto an unofficial trail. It’s net very well marked. You’ll be alright if you follow the AllTrails route though. I had the trail all to myself. Peaceful views of the valley below.

View Nicole's Recording
Amira Drori
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Nov 10 2019
Hiking

Nice steady incline all the way up. There’s a farm with horses and roosters right at the base which is pretty cool. Our two dogs had a great time on this trail even though a little overgrown like others have said. The Ranger who opened the gate for us (7am) was super nice and gave us a quick history of the attempt to build the flume in the 1800s. We stopped up top by the Blossom Valley bench before we head back down. Pleasant little hike.

View Amira's Recording
Levi Grooms
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Nov 05 2019
HikingOver grown

A nice hike with a bunch of switchbacks. Would definitely recommend long pants for this one since its beginning to get overgrown and it'll tear up your legs (from experience).

Don Hilyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 14 2019
HikingOver grown

We parked at the free lot across from the El Monte County Park and picked up the trailhead as soon as we crossed the street at the crosswalk. We were the only car in the lot and hikers along the trail. The solitude was great. I enjoyed the ascent up the mountainside along several moderate switchbacks. This was a great workout for my weight loss journey. The trail was visible but overgrown for most of our hike. The picturesque views of the El Cajon Mountain and El Monte Valley make the hike worthwhile. I’m not sure if the mountain we climbed is officially named but we rested at a park bench that was labeled the Blossom Valley Summit. Overall the hike was awesome and I look forward to my next hike there. I will probably pick-up the trail that I believe connects with the Helix Flume Trail and making it an longer (8 mile) hike out and back.

View Don's Recording
Ellie Mcgee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 13 2019

hike this trail every year with my grandpa

Nina Janke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Mar 28 2019
HikingOver grown

Beautifully in bloom right now. So amazed by all the purple wild flowers. The trail is naturally a little overgrown from the rain but that’s also what brought out the flowers. Definitely wear long pants and socks.

View Nina's Recording
Brittney Mazzone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 25 2019
Hiking

Some beautiful wildflowers! Switchbacks pretty much the whole way!

Carrie Farnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 23 2019
Hiking

Everything the last post said. Wildflowers and views were amazing. It was was like Oregon on a bad day—so green for our desert. I was going to state that it was well marked, but I disagree. There are several tangent trails, but just use the app. I wondered where the flume was and it was on an unmarked side trail off to the right.

Nissa Morton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 23 2019
Hiking

Great moderate hike in springtime. We saw lots of different little flowers along the trail and enjoyed the views. A little overgrown in some places- glad I wore pants.

View Nissa's Recording
Tanya Bradna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 10 2019
Hiking

I really enjoyed this trail. Moderate climb, but enough to get a good sweat going, clearly defined trail with a lot of switchbacks, and beautiful scenery. Not a busy trail at all. We got a late start and started the trail around 9:30am and only saw 3 other hikers on our way back. We found some pretty decent sized paw prints and tons of scat towards the summit, so just be cautious. Gorgeous views, definitely recommend.

View Tanya's Recording
Lindsay Everhart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Feb 08 2019
Hiking

Absolutely stunning views on this hike. It is a little weird that it ends in a neighborhood at the top of Blossom Valley though. There are definitely some big mountain lions in the area. Spotted several prints on the train, so be aware of your surrounding. This hike is very quiet and not a lot of traffic. Trails are well defined, but a little washed out in areas due to the recent rains.

View Lindsay's Recording
Lauren Padula
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 01 2018

Absolutely loved this hike! Went on a Monday morning and didn’t see another soul. Just about an hour round trip with a mix of running and hiking. Totally agree with other reviews: stop at the bench, it gets less nature-y if you keep going and end up in the neighborhood.

Jokie Tolentino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Nov 18 2018

Had trail all to myself! There's a slight steep climb from the get-go if you begin at the old water pump station off of El Monte Road. Great views!

Nazli Takesh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Nov 15 2018
Hiking

Great workout, cool desert Mountain View’s with very little people around (saw no one on the hike but a handful of people at ground level). I agree with another review that the bench should be the ending, after that you end up amongst houses which is random.

Kristen Pauli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 30 2018
Hiking

I really enjoyed this hike mostly for all of its historical content. The flume is so cool! Trail is accurately labeled moderate and just enough challenge to keep me interested

Tina T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 09 2018
Hiking

Did this hike on a Saturday morning at sunrise, was the only person at El Monte County Park and the only person on the trail. Lovely hike with a lot of switchbacks, a ton of wildflowers, cool rocks, and great views of the valley. The bench with the Blossom Valley Summit plaque is a good place to end the hike and head back, if you continue along the all trails track it just takes you between a couple houses to the roadway to the south, the bench is a much nicer finishing point.

Robert Atkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 04 2018
Hiking

This a an easy hike compared to Cowls mountain. Very beautiful with lots of green grass, trees and rock formations. Excellent views along the entire hike. We went on a Monday afternoon. It was cloudy and cool and we only saw 3 other hikers in the 2 hours it took to complete the hike. There are wildlife warning signs but we did not see any lions or snakes and we were scanning the hills constantly.

Kaylinn Rasmusson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 04 2018

Not bad. Kinda lackluster ending in blossom valley feeling like a you're tresspassing in someone's backyard but overall I liked it. Very well marked and easy to access. Awesome view of the mountains. Went with my seven yr old and two dogs, no issues except for a tiny blister.

Rick Nyberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Apr 02 2018
Hiking

We didn’t have much time so we only made it from the park to the tunnel. Which was a great quick workout. You start climbing straight from the park in area 8. We only saw two other couples on the trail on Saturday. We will go back and climb both sides. If you aren’t in good uphill condition this may hurt a bit.

Christopher Bâby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 01 2018
Hiking

Very steep switchbacks. The history of the flume is very cool. The trail just sort of dumps you out into a new McMansion urban sprawl community so that's weird. But the views of El Cajon mountain on the way up are great. I'd give this a 3.5 but apparently we don't get half stars. Very lightly trafficked so I bumped it up.

Matthew Grisnik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Feb 06 2018
Hiking

A lot of switchbacks up and down that give a solid workout.

Coleen Shane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jan 13 2018
Hiking

Nice cool breeze coming out of the lower end of the Flume Tunnel which is a welcome treat going up, or down! Locate the tunnel between the two sets of switchbacks ~half way. We saw many small lizards but no snakes; nonetheless, keep your wits as instructed by the signage. The end of this trail is somewhat disappointing, but it does provide a view of the ocean over one of the houses. Overall this is a great hike where you can see beautiful flora, and fauna, as well as a few historical structures while also working on cardio, and your leg muscles!

Joey S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jan 10 2018

Snakes galore. Few mountain cats in the evening. Great views!

Reg Angkiko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 20 2017
Hiking

Lots of switchback and interesting history. Watch out for snakes.

Vic Addenbrooke
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 13 2017

This is a dangerous trail for mountain bikes. But great steep incline. The trail has a ton loose rocks and dirt. Should only be a hiking trail.