Heaton Flat Trail to Bonita Peak

Heaton Flat Trail to Bonita Peak is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tanbark Flats, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a short-but-steep one. It took me about 1.5 hours going up and about an hour going down. I recommend trekking poles, especially when going back down. I brought about 24 oz of water but bring more because this trail barely has any shade and is a scorcher when the sun is out.

You park at East Fork Parking Lot, may be busy on weekends, but I was able to find parking on the dirt road on Sunday. Don’t forget to purchase an Adventure Pass! The first half-mile is on even ground, and it is just a steadily steep hike with maybe two dips. The last mile is the kicker, so take your time. This hike had great views and my aching legs would do it again.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

This is one of my favorite areas in the Angeles National Forest. I first discovered it when I hiked the East Fork Trail (Bridge to Nowhere) a few years ago.

The hike to Bonita Peak isn't easy. It's a steep climb and has barely any shade. I imagine it's brutal on a hot and sunny day (the recommended months are October to April). Make sure to bring plenty of water either way.

The views are incredible. I went on a clear winter day and was able to see numerous peaks and canyons and even Catalina Island. The trail was lightly trafficked and overgrown in parts, but I never lost track of the path.

Next time I plan on going all the way to Iron Mountain.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Here is a quick video of Heaton Flats to Bonita Peak.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017