Heather Lake via Hump Trail (Winter Route)

Heather Lake via Hump Trail (Winter Route) is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This is the more challenging route to Heather Lake but stays open in the winter. Easier route is here: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/heather-lake-via-watchtower-trail

Did this tail today and it was gorgeous. Trees to mountains to lakes and a big blue sky that turned into a massive fog cloud on the way back in to the car. Had the trail and all of nature basically to ourselves! Ran into a family of three at Heather Lake fora brief moment and then back to just us and nature. The snow was fresh! I think micro crampons would have been a nice addition to our shoe gear but we managed. So so so lovely!

The uphill hump trail to heather lake is more like strenuous... there is no break! We would recommend doing the watchtower trail to heather lake and returning using the downhill version of the hump trail.... much more enjoyable experience! Beautiful scenery on the watchtower trail and heather lake is amazing as well!!! Enjoy your hike

That was great! Did it along with Alta peak, which you see from the lake. That made it very special. As of End of May, there was still snow, and the watchtower segment was closed, but I did it and had no problem whatsoever (but there is snow and ice...so.... you need to know what you are doing)

Did this after the crazy winter in 2017 and it was a short steep climb up snow as there was pretty much no visible trail. If you do this in winter make sure you have decent navigation skills and don't walk over running water as pretty much everyone in my group post holed at least once.

I hiked the first 4.1 miles and back today, only up to Heather Lake. I would certainly have completed the trail up to Pear Lake if it wasn't for some pesky mild foot pain I've been babying lately and that made me decide not to overdo it. If it wasn't for that, I would have kept going, albeit at a slowish pace due to the snowy conditions higher up. The trail was largely snow-free at the trailhead, but gradually transformef into a winter wonderland by the time I got to Heather Lake. I left my crampons at home, but it wouldn't have hurt bringing them along. There were quite a few other hikers, and by far most of them also only wore simple footwear / normal hiking shoes. I'm looking forward to returning to do the full trail and maybe take the Watchtower route later in the year.

Hiked up to Heather Lake on January 28th. The trail is easy until you get to hump trail. It is quite a climb up to the lake but well worth it. We passed a few folks taking breaks as the climb was steep. Glad we took our crampons as the trail was a bit icy in the beginning and covered in the snow at the top. The lake was frozen but we enjoyed the view from our hammock :). We hike most weekends and like to climb so this trail was awesome for what we were looking for! Take it easy on the climb up. It may feel like forever reaching the top but you’ll get there and the views are very rewarding

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Loved this hike! Definately more challenging on the way to Heather lake via hump trail because of the uphill challenge the majority of the way! However, the trail is beautiful and well maintained. I would definately go on the hump trail again! Loved it❤️

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Challenging but doable! Slow and steady wins the race. Did this in January 2018. Goal was Heather Lake. Made it! Lake was frozen. Hung out with my lovely wife on a hammock and enjoyed the view of Marble Fork Canyon. Look forward to doing it again in spring where I’ll take the Watchtower Trail.

Saturday, November 25, 2017