Heartbreak Ridge OHV Trail is a 18.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and ohv/off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 18.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,113 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

Definitely helps to have a spotter if you are running a stock ohh vehicle. Made about half way with a stock Jeep gladiator sport running open/open. Definitely used a spotter and the skid plates. A fun little trail

ohv/off road driving

Definitely a hard trail. 4x4 needed for obstacles.

ohv/off road driving

Great scenic trail. We camped a couple miles in. The majority of this trail is easy. The last portion of this trail is rated correctly has “hard”. 4x4 and high clearance are recommended.... unless you take a left at the last fork in the trail, that trail to the top is easier.

ohv/off road driving

The off-road driving rating of this trail is wrong this is not even close to hard. A completely stock SUV in rear wheel drive can complete this full trail all the way to the end and top. However I’d suggest the suv have awd or 4x4 capability. The semi challenges which are all completely optional can be done in any 4x4 rig completely stock. No need for sliders, no need for lift. In fact there was an Audi A4 Quattro that did most of it but not the end. Anyone that claimed this trail as hard at any level should be ashamed. On a good note, the camping at the very end at the top is amazing. Fully forested, trees close enough to hang hammocks, no one to disturb your group. I would say it has the better; if not the best dispersed camping of big bear. I came through this trail in my Jeep Wrangler still in 2wd waiting for the trail to start to find out I was already at the end!?

Sat Nov 24 2018

Amazing trip! It was my first “HARD” rated trail. Took it nice and slow, on my 4Runner. The lift is necessary. I feel the undercarriage would have taken a betting without it. Take the time to get out of your vehicle and pick a line (couple areas). It took me 4hrs with some sight gazing included. Do not attempt the “Short Cut” it does not exist. I checked. And it’s blocked off. You’ll see the white boulders on your way in. Would do it again!

Mon Oct 08 2018

Great trip in 08 JK sport unl., rear lockers a must in some areas. Beautiful up top. Slow & easy is the only way. Respect roads & mph on way there. Enjoy ✌

Mon Sep 24 2018

Did the whole trail with a stock JK Sahara. Easy for experienced off-roaders (intermediate for some parts).

Sat Aug 18 2018

Fun quick trail, somewhat difficult but not impossible. Beautiful up top!

Sat Aug 18 2018

the shortcut route off 2n01 is not advised. it is technically blocked off but it is still accessible from the other end. best to avoid it.

Fri Feb 16 2018

Drove my 4x4 Jeep to the fork then proceeded another 3 miles ahead. Nice trail for off-roading. Recommend 4x4 with lift. We we’re looking for somewhere with snow. Didn’t find much. Will try again next year.

Sat Jan 27 2018

Beautiful intermediate trail, can be done stock Jeep if very careful. I recommend a lift and you’ll need 4x4.

Mon Jan 08 2018

Beautiful trail and nice technical skills practice. We had a stock JK Sahara (no lift) a nicely tuned FJ Cruiser, a Taco with small lift and body armor and my K5. Taco and JK were the ones who rubbed on the rocks most, but no problem making the trail. My K5 was a little wide for some parts, but made it through fine due to short wheel base at tight locations. I never rubbed any sliders or bumpers (4" lift on 35s) I'll be back to this one and try to enjoy the beautiful view and take some pictures next time.

Tue Sep 05 2017

The first fork off of 2N01, has been blocked, no longer exists. The trail really begins when you leave 2N01 and head up the canyon. The small loop, up around the top of the hill, is fun with some great views.

Sat May 11 2019