Heart Lake Trail

Heart Lake Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

51 minutes ago

Don’t miss the view up past the lake! So tranquil. Lovely fall colors with the aspen grove were why we came back today.

beautiful aspens, distant waterfalls, this trail has it all. In spring, Wooley Mules Ears. Trail obviously used by pack team but its fairly easy although the elevation/rocky terrain makes it moderate. Its the journey, not the destination! Take some time to visit the mine relecks, so cool!

Lovely hike! We managed our way from LA to the trailhead in one day and got down before sunrise. We started at 4:30PM (maybe a little later) and we were back down by 6:30, at the brewery by 7. There is a lot of variety on the trail, starting with some meadow views, then some time through the woods and then on top of a ridge line which brings you to the lake. We were the only ones on the trail and at the lake which gave us a feeling of peacefulness and seclusion. The lake is clear and clean and if you go just a bit past the lake you'll find yourself on a ledge overlooking the stunning mountains surrounding the area. Some other reviewers mention a huge incline, but I would call it a pretty average incline for an uphill hike. Certainly was not unmanageable, and we enjoyed getting our blood pumpin'.

This hike is a short, semi-easy day activity. I went on this hike with some of my family members and my dog. For the first mile or so, there is a huge incline that can be pretty tough if you are not used to the altitude. But once you get to the top the views are spectacular. The only problem that i came across was when we got near the lake there were a ton of mosquitos so we ran out of there before we got eaten.

My favorite hike in Mammoth! It’s relatively short, and my daughters and dog have done it each year. The most amazing mountain panoramic views through beautiful wildflower hill meadows! Didn’t see them, but came home with bad mosquito bites from this lake!

I don’t know why this is classified as easy - easy is something Grandma could do and this is most definitely NOT. It’s pretty steep - it’s all uphill until you get to the lake. The lake is pretty but there are better hikes in the area. But the views along the trail are amazing, the lake, IMO, is secondary

Trailhead was kind of confusing to find.You have to drive through a campground. There is a huge parking lot and you probably won’t have a hard time finding a place to park (hiked this over Fourth of July week and plenty of spaces). This is in the same parking lot as trailheads for the mine, duck and emerald lake. Go into the parking lot and go all the way around, almost to the exit - that’s where the heart lake trailhead is. Parking lot is a one way.

Amazing views and very beautiful hike. However, I would call it moderate, not easy. To me, easy is okay for older folks and kids. Easy to me is okay with regular shoes not hiking boots. Kids had a hard time and a few older folks in our group only made it half way. The switchbacks do not feel like easy. We took about 3 hours including breaks, photos.
Another note, the cold water creek campsite has multiple trail heads. We went to 2 others before finding the heart lake trailhead, but once we found it it was easy to tell and navigate.
All in all, I highly recommend this hike. Many people who passed us easily went up and down this trail, but keep in mind your group’s fitness level!

nice and easy trail with beautiful views!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

This is a wonderful hike and my family's favorite so far.....
When we got to heart lake a couple told us to walk a little farther to a more scenic lookout. So glad we did.... an amazing view of Lake Mary. The majestic mountains covered in snow, sound of waterfall in distance and beautiful aspen trees are some of the many memories we carry with us from heart lake trail.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

The beginning 3/4? mile of incline hiking was a little challenging for my family of non-hikers. My mom 70, son 11, niece 7. We almost turned back, despite the beautiful view of the snow covered mountains, rushing sound of the waterfall or a creek. Luckily, we kept going and was greeted with a beautifully calm lake with snow for playing on the side. The hike back was fun because it was all downhill :). This hike is fun for children because you can stop at the mining camps.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Great short in and out hike with spectacular views. Aspens along trail already turning to fall colors made for terrific photos. Nice cool breeze in October kept the walk pleasant. Only one hill on way to lake, after that it's all downhill

Monday, August 22, 2016

Uphill for the start but really worth the effort. Once at the lake go to the right up hill a little more to a plateau for an even more beautiful view of the valley and waterfall. We got caught in a light hailstorm and rain but all still worth the hike.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Steep first mile but beautiful views !

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Mostly uphill on the way up and a breeze coming down. Beautiful scenery

Friday, June 10, 2016

Perfect day! Mining area was amazing!

recorded Jon, Trixy and Daisy