Learn more

Hazelnut Trail and Weiler Ranch Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(348)
San Pedro Valley County Park

Hazelnut Trail and Weiler Ranch Loop is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pacifica, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 885 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

Note: As of May 27, 2020, users have reported that the parking lot is closed but there is plenty of street parking. The trail is closed for annual maintenance June 1, 2020 through June 5, 2020. This route offers great views. The trail has multiple switchbacks and can be steep in sections. It can be done clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Great hike, lots of sun, wildflowers. Hazelnut trail now starts near visitors center and is a one way loop.

great!

Hiked mid-day, a lot of sun exposure on this trail. The trail is one way right now (6/20) and starts at the visitor center, don't make the mistake I did and try to start from the Weiler ranch trail. Very few other people on the trail midweek.Views are OK, but this would be a great trail in the fog.

Gorgeous, good difficulty, not crowded. 10/10

great!

Easy hike. We reached at 9am on a Sunday morning and it was not crowded. The hike had good breeze and was well shaded.

A great trail to hike. Not too crowded and the trails are set up to be one way.

Enjoyable trail. Narrow so you can really walk one by one but great views. Mostly downhill so a pleasant walk - scenery changes between gum trees to wild flowers and bush. It took around two hours to complete - would recommend!

Trail was open but limited to certain “one way” loops. I think it is a good idea for limiting the amount of people you pass on the trail in order to ‘social distance’. The loops are well marked and other hikers adhered to the rules. Note that the parking lot is closed but there is plenty of street parking

Holy shit this was an amazing trail! I didn’t do Montara I did the one next to it (Montara was closed). Hazelnut Trail. Do it!! About 5 miles round trip.

closed

Parking lots gates close at 6PM; $6 parking in lot. Moderate, clean trail, intersected by paved walkway in sections.

It is a great trail the time I went to that trail was last year in July . It was a nice day that day .

Enjoyed the run. thought the incline was challenging but doable. There were allot of deer I came across, which was cool because they let you get pretty close.

fee

Nice trail. Nothing special for the area. I went just after a short deluge that created a layer of slick mud on the trail that cause me to slip a bit. It wasn't bad but threw off my gait. The inclines weren't too steep and there were lots of benches along the path. It looked to be a popular trail running trail. Overall a pleasant hike with a pleasant scent of eucalyptus along the way but nothing special (for the area) and not worth the $6 fee on a regular basis. Thankfully street parking outside of the park was available.

Great trail... up hill climb for first 2 miles then its a downward breeze the rest of the way. Lots of great views!

Perfect moderate hike with pleasant views. We even came across some friendly deer at the end.

We did this a year ago and enjoyed it. The uphill wasn’t bad at all. The light through the grove at the top was especially beautiful. The kids ran down the switchbacks on the way down the hill. One managed to run off the trail into a bramble bush, but he was ultimately fine and it wasn’t the trail’s fault! As we neared the parking lot we were amazed to see several dear grazing in the grass near the trail. They seemed completely nonplussed by the nearby humans.

Was a nice hike! We did the Hazelnut trail in the counter clockwise direction. It’s not too steep and the trail looks different at different points.

views are meh ok hike tho

Easy trail for hiking or trail running. Lots of beautiful nature and only few people that pass by.

Pretty easy trail - gradual uphill at the start but nothing too strenuous before a steady downhill at the end. We finished it in less than 2 hours with only a few short breaks.

Nice trail with a good steady 2 mile climb to the summit. Foggy day, so I didn't see the views but I'll definitely be back on a clear day.

Beautiful intermediate trail. Not much shade going up. Clean bathrooms in visitor center open 10-4 sat & sun

This is a nice trail with a hard packed path. The parking lot charges $6 per car, but on a weekday when I was there, street parking was plentiful. I did the loop in. Clockwise direction, and the elevation gain is a little slower that way.

It’s a great trail. Fast hike uphill and run downhill

Amazing trail! Lots of scenery change. From open space to ridge views to a cool tree grove and lush greenery at the bottom! Trail is about 4.5 miles. Went Friday after work.

Mon May 27 2019

i have revised my rating to 2 because I got poison oak. Gorgeous views. Lots of wildflowers. Fabulous Eucalyptus forest at the top that you walk through. Did counter clockwise. Walked 1.75 miles up, which is exactly what I like. BUT, I didn’t love the mostly narrow, single lane path with the dozen or so hikers or runners that I needed to pass by. Made me feel like I was on a well traveled versus less traveled path. Also, the path itself (while often narrow-ish) is a bit overgrown and not completely flat as water must run down the middle of it when it rains. Both sides of the path are lined with a lot of poison oak. Make sure you have on long pants and socks, and shower and wash clothes immediately after the hike. I don’t want to discourage anyone from enjoying this hike - if they aren’t allergic to poison oak - as it really is pretty.. This trail doesn’t allow bikes or pets, only hikers & runners.

Mon May 27 2019

lots of switchbacks, cool views. part of it on a paved trail.