Learn more

Hastain Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Hollywood, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 580 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Los Angeles, CA: (Lower Franklin Canyon) Take the San Diego Freeway / US 405 to Sunset Boulevard. Head east on Sunset Boulevard and proceed several miles to Beverly Drive. Go about half a mile and turn left onto Coldwater Canyon Drive. Turn right on Franklin Canyon Drive and proceed about 1 mile making a right turn onto Lake Drive. Park at main lot at end of road. Note: to reach Upper Franklin Canyon, continue north on Franklin Canyon Drive past Lake Drive.

amazing workout, hands down my favorite trail. it's super pretty with a lot of wildflowers and shade contrary to summer, when there is no shade. Plenty of parking as always, came at around 4, had the trail almost to myself.

Definitely recommend going clockwise. I went counterclockwise and it was steep and overgrown on the way down. Great view of the city and the million dollar mansions on either side. Not heavily trafficked on a Monday at 12pm. Open trail, not too much shade covering.

This trail is open.

This is a good trail. Be aware that the back end of the loop is very overgrown and pretty steep. There are a lot of fire ants (!), too. It felt like a good workout for me, a novice. Beautiful flowers, butterflies. Near the peak you can see some work being done on another ridge toward Coldwater Canyon. It looks like it might be some more ugly houses.

Nice alternative to Runyon. The trail is open now. Parking wasn't hard on a weekday at 5pm but might be tougher on the weekend.

there are Trails all over these lakes and we took about four different ones there's a few steep inclines but none of them are very long there's plenty of shade and two Lakes that are loaded with fish and ducks and turtles but bring some bug spray

Trail going down is extremely narrow and slippery. Looks more like a fox trail than a safe running trail. More suited for an out and back once you get to the top. Trail going up was wide, beautiful, cleared.

Awful. Do not recommend.

Yeah it’s more of an out-and-back. I mean I suppose you could loop around the top of the crest there... but not a loop.

Not a loop. The gate to the street is locked. My friend and I had to go back up and go back the way we came. Other than that it's beautiful and you can see the ocean.

Prefer Franklin Canyon over Runyon any day. Much greener, more shade, less people, great views. However, the loop is not possible. Trail seems to wash out.

First time I came here, I caught bad luck and got face to face with a coyote who came up on the other side of the trail. I was about to finish but I just decided to turn back, be very cautious of bringing your dogs up near the peak after you pass the view of the city. Trail is fine. Nothing too remarkable besides the view. Ground is okay, a bit too rocky at times, a part of it has completely broken off near the finish due to a mudslide or something, and the ground splits sometimes. Even if you hike here just to chill and not workout you’ll get one regardless, the inclines may be a bit tough near the end if you’re jogging. Very peaceful drive on the way though. Extremely quiet. Bring water.

Previous posters are correct. Do this as an out and back. The second part of the loop is potentially dangerous. A decent workout.

Love this hike, come here at least once a week! Try coming at least 2 hours before the sunset, I’ve come across snakes twice.

Loved it! Great views over the city!!!

If you are off the trail by 11am, most of it is shaded by the hills. I would avoid it after that since it is otherwise completely exposed and very hot. I agree that it would have probably been better as an out and back, since the second half of the loop (after the viewpoint) was incredibly narrow, steep, and overgrown. I had to put my short dog in my backpack to get him down. It's definitely do-able, but only if you're up for it. I was a little nervous for my ankles.

Sun Jun 16 2019