Hart Tree, Fallen Goliath, Redwood Creek Loop

moderate 122 reviews

Hart Tree, Fallen Goliath, Redwood Creek Loop is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,354 feet Route Type: Loop

Take Highway 180 (generals highway) to a small parking lot labeled "Redwood Canyon" and follow Forest route 14S75 to the trailhead (about 2 miles of dirt road). Do not try this drive if there is snow unless you have a high clearance vehicle with 4x4 and snow chains. It is narrow and susceptible to wash out. That being said, it is accessible in the Spring for a low clearance 2wd vehicles as long as there has not been too much rain. Lots of sequoias, lots of cool things to see. Fairly easy, not a ton of up and down.

Move over General Sherman, this is the quintessential hike to see Sequoia trees in Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park. This trail not only has no shortage of Sequoia trees, but has enough variety with the Redwood Creek and Redwood Canyon views to keep you from getting bored. I hiked this in mid-October, where the temperature was in the high 40's-low 50's, which was absolutely perfect. I agree with the advice that you should start the trail from Redwood Creek side, it gives you an easier incline on the way back up. Note that I did see probably 8-10 different piles of bear poop, but did not have any bear encounters. If you are the first on the trail, remember to make your presence known by making some noise with your hiking stick or whatever.

Like everyone says here this trail has everything, sequoias , a waterfall (small one), creek crossing and there is an area with a great view of the forest. Beware there is a lot of uphill climbing on this hike. All trails tracker reported a 1000 feet delta between lowest point and highest point. This loop is 9 miles not 7.

The perfect hike. AllTrail directions Coordinates take you right to closest trailhead parking lot. Hart Tree / Fallen Goliath Loop trail is off to the left. After about a quarter mile, you’ll have choice of taking left or right for the loop. If you don’t want a steep incline at the end of your hike, go RIGHT.

Absolutely Amazing..... this trail has it all! 5 stars all the way.... but your legs will be sore

Loved this trail! Lush and green, huge sequoias, absolutely beautiful! Not many other hikers, so kinda felt secluded which was nice. Never saw the Fallen Goliath either, so don't know what happened there. Funny story though....deep into the hike I swear I hear a cow moo. Cow moo? Okay...says my partner with that "you're nuts" look. A little further we see something big and black! Must be a bear! Nope...It's a Black Cow! (Now who's nuts?):-) Yep, a cow. Must have been lost, because it followed the ring of my bear bell on my backpack for a ways, until we walked thru a downed tree that had a tunnel through it. We told some other hikers coming from the opposite direction to look for the cow, and maybe help it find it's way out. What an unexpected find in the middle of the Sequoia National Forest!

Fantastic secluded hike amongst some beautiful, enormous trees. It rained a bit throughout the hike, but the trees provide some cover (or you can hide in the Log House or other cool sites along the trail). We somehow missed Fallen Goliath, but there were a variety of large felled trees so maybe we just missed the sign. The drive down is a bit treacherous on an unpaved, 1.5 lane road that is populated with random free range cows so 4WD helps.

Great hike, big trees, beautiful creeks and herbaceous plants. Saw deer, lots of birds and a black bear!

We started on the Hart’s tree trail but ended up cutting it about halfway short by going down the Redwood creek trail instead because we were losing daylight too fast (it gets darker on this trail earlier because you’re down at the bottom of the Forrest). We really enjoyed this hike though. It was so lush as we were following the creek and we only met a handful of people on our hike. I wouldn’t necessarily call this trail strenuous but you will have to climb the hill a little bit regardless of which hike you choose to do at the Redwood Cove. The shade is really nice and makes the temperature pleasant, however, there is plenty of mosquitoes so be aware. The path is clearly marked despite of all the vegetation so that’s nice. Would definitely come back and do the whole loop!

Mammoth and epic trees. Lots of mosquitos too but worth it.

Loved seeing soooo many giant Sequoias after seeing only stumps on other hikes

Very pretty trail. Lots of wild flowers. Lots of water. All trails says it is 7 miles, however my husbands satellite watch said we hiked 9 miles.

Great trail with tons of beautiful giant Sequoia trees.

This trail was fun! The redwood trees are amazing! Just the shire size of them is crazy... pictures don’t do them justice. You’ve got to see them up close. The trail had several areas of mud and run off. So wear the proper shoes.. and socks. In order to get to the trail head you have to drive down a service road, (2 miles) it’s a little bumpy, if you have 4 wheel drive, a truck or suv you should be good. But if rolling up there in a Honda Civic... you may want to park up off the main road and hike the 2 miles down to the trail head. Up to you... oh and watch out for the Bear shat!! Be safe and enjoy the trail!!

Those sequoias are really amazing. So beautiful. This app is your best friend as you can sometimes lose the path but we didn’t get lost at all thanks to the map.

Mon Feb 25 2019

Nice trail with Giant Sequioas everywhere some ascents especially at the end but nothing to bad. I did it in October I would have liked to take my time but I had so much more I wanted to explore at Sequioa National Park

Tue Nov 27 2018

11/25/18 One of our favorites so far! The trail was a fairly easy hike. Any inclines were very gradual. We really enjoyed the variety of scenic views, from giant sequoias, to rock formations, small waterfalls, babbling brooks and a look out point overlooking kings canyon. The trail was easy to follow and never any cliffs to worry about. There was just a little bit of snow. Enough for us to make a small snowman to honor our friends in Wisconsin. While we didn’t see any wildlife it’s certainly out there. We saw a couple dozen bear pop piles. Note: carry bear spray just to be safe. Temps were in the mid 40’s with abundant sunshine. It was perfect weather. We looped the trail counterclockwise. With a short trail snack we finished in 3 hours for a total of 8.25 miles. On our drive out on the dirt road we came across a LARGE BOULDER in the middle of the road. It fell while we were on the trail. We managed to get around it but it was very tight. We notified the ranger. Hopefully they remove it soon. Definitely a hazard. Would definitely do this hike again!

Wed Nov 07 2018

SUPER WORTH IT!!! Beautiful views and MASSIVE trees! Would definitely recommend

Wed Aug 01 2018

Nice hike with lots of shade and beautiful redwoods to look at. We did the loop trail towards Hart tree ending with the Canyon. For this particular route I'd rate 3 stars. The last part of the hike descending down the canyon and immediately back up is a little kick in the butt especially after you've been on the trail ~5-6 miles in 95-100 degree weather. It definitely made it much less enjoyable for me as I was more focused on just completing the hike to go back to the car and drinking a beer vs being able to take in the scenery and surrounding. If we had done the opposite loop starting with the canyon first and then the Hart tree, I would've rated that hike a 4 star and would recommend doing the loop in that direction.

Mon Jun 25 2018

We did the trail in reverse starting with Redwood Canyon and ending with Hart Tree trail. I’m glad we did because the total loop was exactly 8.0 miles. If we started with Hart Tree and ended with Redwood Canyon, we would’ve been slogging uphill at the end of our hike. Total walking time was just under 4 hours. Although I saw sedans in the parking lot, I’m glad we took our pickup truck to get down the 2 mile dirt road to the trailhead. I didn’t see any water at the trailhead but there was a pit toilet. Despite the remote trailhead, there were quite a few people encountered.

Sun Jun 10 2018

Do

Fri Jun 08 2018

This is a great hike with many giant Sequoias to see. I really enjoyed being able to see such beauty without the crowds like some of the other groves. The hike is not too difficult. We did see a bear, but never felt threatened.

Thu Jun 07 2018

What a wonderful hike! It’s not for the faint of heart - you’ll want to definitely be on board to do this hike because you’re kind of in the middle of nowhere. We were a little skeptical by the unpaved dirt road getting up there but stay confident - you’ll get to the main area eventually. There were very few people there but we were relieved to see we weren’t alone! We took the Hart Redwood fallen Goliath loop and it’s definitely longer than what the sign says. It’s a little over 8 miles. Overall, the hike was beautiful. The weather was perfect for us - and the trees and landscape were breathtaking. Most of the hike is shaded so it’s relatively cooler (make sure you pack accordingly). Lots of cool things to see - waterfalls, amazing trees, wildflowers, and possibly wildlife! We were warned by other hikers that there were bears spotted so be alert! Highly recommended. No crazy inclines but it’s definitely a good, long workout. We were pretty tired by the end. My hiking partner/boyfriend/lover/babushka said it was his favorite trail he’s ever been on.

Mon May 21 2018

Great trail with lots of Giant Sequoias. The 2 mile dirt road to get to the trail head looked like it was recently graded so no major potholes, would be easy to get to in a low car. The start of the trail is a gradual downhill and then it's a gradual uphill. With a backpack I was a little out of breath, but really wasn't too steep or difficult. Lots of great trees and scenic spots with small steam crossings. We turned left at the fork and camped along Redwood Creek. Luckily, not very many mosquitoes. We were planning on doing the sugarbowl trail loop back, but got a late start and just did the redwood creek trail back up. That was a gradual uphill, but not too difficult. Watch out for patches of little pine cones, I slipped on those buggars.

Tue Apr 17 2018

This trail is Awesome! The Hart tree loop is really fantastic. Lots of sequoias, lots of cool things to see. Fairly easy, not a ton of up and down that I remember. We backpacked it and slept on the much less-loved section beyond the Junction for Hart and sugarbowl. If you look at the TOPO map and not the alltrails map, it will show an additional trail that follows redwood creek further down the valley. There are less redwoods in this section of the trail, and it is not as recently maintained, but It is beautiful. Several river crossings, and lots to see.

Mon Feb 12 2018

Did this trail with my wife in early February, was un seasonable warm for this time of year. Great hike with giant trees. my GPS tracker said that the hike ended up being about 8 miles. we saw hundreds of lady bugs near the fallen tree bridge.

Sat Dec 09 2017

Go in the winter. Miles of MASSIVE Sequoias and beautiful scenery. We went on Dec, 8 2017 and didn’t see a single other person on the entire trail. Zero. BUT, we did see a Mountain Lion about 80ft in front of us on the trail at the 4mi mark. Luckily he/she took off, but we were definitely on edge the rest of the way. Took us 3hrs and 10min to complete the loop

Fri Aug 04 2017

Excellent hike. Some mosquitoes but not tons. Lots of sequoias. Many small creeks. Mostly through wooded areas. Only saw about 5-10 people-- probably due to location and unpaved road leading in. All in all a great hike-- tons of sequoias but very little crowd (unlike more southern parts of the park).

Mon Jul 17 2017

Excellent trail. Completed on 7/15/17. Route is clear, but the mosquitoes are out. Be sure and bring bug spray!

Wed Nov 16 2016

We did this trail in November. The park was busier than expected, but this trail was very quiet and peaceful. We only saw about 5 other people in total. The trail begins near Quail Flats down a dirt road across the street. Apparently they sometimes close the road, which if you had to walk to the trail head would add about 4 miles to the total distance. Fortunately for us the road was open and we could drive direct to the trail head. The trail begins across from the Sugar Bowl trail. We went in the clockwise direction. It was beautiful. You see a lot of landmarks, including the site of an old fence mill from the 1800s, Pierce Log Cabin (which was made from a fire hollowed sequoia), a fire fallowed tree you can walk through, a meadow, the Hart tree itself, a lot of little creeks and a little waterfall, fallen Goliath (which we somehow missed), a back country campsite, and a log foot bridge. All this accompanied by beautiful vistas and massive trees at every turn. Our favorite was the waterfall thou. We even had lunch by it. Fall was a great time to go as there were indeed leaves on the ground and color in some trees. I definitely recommend it. One thing I didn't account for was the number of hills to be climbed on this trail. It is definitely more moderate than easy in difficulty. Towards the end I definitely started feeling it.