Hart Tree, Fallen Goliath, Redwood Creek Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(225)
Kings Canyon National Park

Hart Tree, Fallen Goliath, Redwood Creek Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

Length7.3 miElevation gain1,305 ftRoute typeLoop
BackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingRunningForestRiverViewsWaterfallWildflowersWildlifeBugsMuddyOver grownHistoric siteNo dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Kings Canyon National Park charges a fee to enter. Fees are $35 per vehicle or $30 per motorcycle. If you are entering on foot or bike the fee is $20 per person. You can also purchase a park specific annual pass for $70. This is a gorgeous hike through groves of giant trees. Seeing the Hart Tree is worth the hike - very impressive. Trail is more of rolling hills rather than steep inclines. Lots of shade.

Take Highway 180 (generals highway) to a small parking lot labeled "Redwood Canyon" and follow Forest route 14S75 to the trailhead (about 2 miles of dirt road). Do not try this drive if there is snow unless you have a high clearance vehicle with 4x4 and snow chains. It is narrow and susceptible to wash out. That being said, it is accessible in the Spring for a low clearance 2wd vehicles as long as there has not been too much rain. Lots of sequoias, lots of cool things to see. Fairly easy, not a ton of up and down.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (232)
Photos (434)
Recordings (192)
Completed (504)
Hugo H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 7, 2021

Solitude + giant trees

Jordan Elizabeth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 6, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great hike! Out of the way trail that is definitely worth doing. You have to go down a 1.8 mile gravel road to get to the trailhead. I was fine in my CRV (no 4WD); however, if it was snowy/icy, then this road could be tough to get up and down.

View Jordan's Recording
Evita Liscum
View Evita's Recording
Jeff Scott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 2, 2020
Hiking

Saw a mountain lion as I drove in at 7:30am. No issues getting to the trailhead in a subcompact 2wd. Beautiful hike!

View Jeff's Recording
Alex Scarfo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 19, 2020
Hiking

Driving down the 2 mile dirt road wasn't to challenging in a 4x4, without that I may not have considered checking this trail out. Every step was more stunning than the last. Going inside Fallen Goliath was insane! Don't expect a bunch of vista's, you're here to see big trees. There was very minimal snow in some of the more shaded areas, but nothing that went more than a couple inches up my hiking boots. Clear blue skies, no smoke. Just an abundance of pine in the air. This loop is best done clockwise, however the final 1.5ish miles is the most challenging bit of the trail. The rest of it wasn't to bad at all. Clocked about 8.5mi, but we did venture around the Fallen Goliath and Hart tree, as well as the 1 vista point.

View Alex's Recording
Cathryn Salisbury
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful! Great fall colors, running water, birds and just a handful of other hikers. A few fallen trees to clamor over. There are a few historical items, a log cabin, and logging stumps 10+ feet in the air. Scaffolding was erected to saw the sequoia trees at their narrowest. Those are all on the Hart Tree side. Started at 830a. Parking lot was twice as full when we returned. Tons of cars coming down the very narrow road on the way out.

View Cathryn's Recording
Sabrina Pena
View Sabrina's Recording
Nils Jepson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 21, 2020
Hiking

Probably one of the best hikes I’ve ever been, if just because it had everything. Streams, shade, sequoia, granite, oaks changing colors, etc etc. the trees are, of course, crazy. took me about 2.25 hours but I was basically running because it was getting dark and I was out there alone so I was a bit spooked. Do it!

Dotti Egel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 20, 2020
Hiking

Fantastic trail through diverse terrain and vegetation. Loads of giant sequoias, of course, but many other species , a waterfall and even granite boulders. Well worth the dusty drive down a dirt road to get away from the crowds. Like others, we found the NPS signage misleading—we clicked the hike at 8.3 miles.

View Dotti's Recording
James Lin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2020
View James's Recording
Ray Del Real
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2020
View Ray's Recording
Judy Tran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2020
View Judy's Recording
Alex McCarthy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 6, 2020
Hiking

Great trail with a easy/moderate challenge at the beginning and end. coupd not find fallen Goliath for the life of us. searched around for a good 5-10 mins around the waypoint. there's an arrow right after the fallen tree bridge, follow it to get back to parking.

View Alex's Recording
Kara Concheck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike! Gorgeous trail. But- As post before this stated- it is 9.6 miles and not 7.3!

Corey Greenlaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
Hiking

Super fun. Careful of falling trees!

View Corey's Recording
J Nuez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2020
View J's Recording
Josh Gelb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 28, 2020
Hiking

Perfect. Saw a cub, no momma. Just a gorgeous hike.

View Josh's Recording
Amee Yescas
Hiking

This is an amazing hike! I would definitely go to the right (not the start of Hart trail) when it forks off in the beginning as it’ll be easier towards the end. If not, it’ll be a moderate/hard incline for the last 1-2 miles. It says it’s 7.3 miles, but it’s actually 9.6 miles. Either way, it’s a well worn path and very therapeutic for nature lovers.

Kristen Mitchell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike! Well worth going & seeing all the beautiful nature. Nicely shaded as well.

View Kristen's Recording
T S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

This is a gorgeous hike through groves of giant trees. Seeing the Hart Tree is worth the hike - very impressive. I recommend this hike, as it's a great way to see these trees and to avoid the crowds. Not too difficult; more of rolling hills rather than steep inclines. Lots of shade. I went on the hike with my partner and my toddler (we carried him in a pack). The signage and trail were very clear. The only "sketchy" part of the trial was crossing the creek on a big log, which wasn't super flat and did not have handles or rails. I crossed the log by myself just fine, but my partner (who was carrying our toddler) was more comfortable wading through the creek. We clocked our mileage for this loop at 8 miles (and we did a little side-trail up to Hart Tree, which probably added maybe 400 meters within our total). We left the trailhead at around 8:30am, only saw two other pairs on the trail. Didn't see any bears. Lots of flies and mosquitos - bring bug spray! When we got back to our car in the early afternoon, the parking lot was a bit fuller, but by no means crowded. We have 4WD, so the drive down was easy for us. Saw small sedans and sports cars at the bottom, so definitely possible to drive down on the dirt road; but would exceed my personal comfort level.

Brian Langley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2020
Hiking

Unbelievable hike. Beautiful loop through the woods. This hike has everything. Hart tree is huge. The Fallen Goliath isn’t labeled and is easy to miss. My favorite was a hollowed out log that you can walk through. I’ve done a lot of hiking in the redwoods, and this hike has the most I’ve ever seen. This trail is almost entirely shaded. So that was a nice benefit on a hot day. I had total mileage at 8.5. Love this hike!

View Brian's Recording
Lisa Preston Langley
Hiking

Awesome trail. Loved it. So many redwoods. The highlight was the hollow tree going to the hart tree. Very hot in August but there is a lot of shade.

View Lisa's Recording
Nick Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 13, 2020
View Nick's Recording
Katie Reilly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

This trail was a LOT harder than we expected it to be for a “moderate” hike. Lots of inclines, and especially brutal ones at the end. We’d done the Big Baldy hike most recently and figured this wouldn’t be much more strenuous but we were very wrong! We went left toward the Hart tree at the loop, and perhaps, as other reviewers noted, we’d have been better served going right. Also, we were a little confused about how to cross the creek toward the end— there was a sequoia bridge but it did not seem wide enough for some of us to feel comfortable, so we ended up crossing over the creek (where we could find some rocks) and getting a little soggy. I also think the 7.3 mile estimate was wrong— our watches said closer to 9 miles. With a little lunch stop and about 30 stops to catch our breath on the uphill return, it took us close to 5.5 hours. But we saw some deer and some cows which were very neat and unexpected, and it was mostly shaded which was great. Loved all of the smaller creek crossings and that little waterfall, and we also felt very accomplished (albeit totally sore) by the end!

Yana Piatetsky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

Actual hike length from the parking lot is a little over 8 miles. Awesome hike! Saw a deer, and 2 black cows.

View Yana's Recording
Colin Gregory
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
View Colin's Recording
Katie C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

I do NOT recommend doing this trail solo, as it felt uncomfortably remote. Trail was over 8 miles, not the 7.3 listed. Cool fallen log large enough to walk through. I encountered people only 3 times, saw 6 deer (fun) and 2 large black bears (less fun). The signs regarding bear activity are legit. I much preferred the sunny groves south of the General Sherman Tree than this kind of gloomy/shady setting.

Liz Kellogg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

What a magical hike! I got there about 7:30am and the weather was perfect. This is my top 2 favorite hikes in sequoia. The other being the watchtower trail. It has all the eye candy you need. Giant Sequoias, creeks, large rocks with a view, deer, and a fairly easy trail. I think the hardest part was the last 20 min, its an incline all the way back to parking. I really took my time to enjoy the trail, it really feels like a bowl of paradise away from everything. The fallen Goliath was a little hard to see from the trail. The “top” of the tree is closest to the trail the roots are pointed away from the trail. You can tell its been there a very long time. There are small pine trees growing on it as well as other brush. Well camouflaged. Highly recommend this trail and will come here again!

View Liz 's Recording