Hart Tree, Fallen Goliath, Redwood Creek Loop

Hart Tree, Fallen Goliath, Redwood Creek Loop is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

old growth

Take Highway 180 (generals highway) to a small parking lot labeled "Redwood Canyon" and follow Forest route 14S75 to the trailhead (about 2 miles of dirt road). Do not try this drive if there is snow unless you have a high clearance vehicle with 4x4 and snow chains. It is narrow and susceptible to wash out. That being said, it is accessible in the Spring for a low clearance 2wd vehicles as long as there has not been too much rain. Lots of sequoias, lots of cool things to see. Fairly easy, not a ton of up and down.

Do

This is a great hike with many giant Sequoias to see. I really enjoyed being able to see such beauty without the crowds like some of the other groves. The hike is not too difficult. We did see a bear, but never felt threatened.

What a wonderful hike! It’s not for the faint of heart - you’ll want to definitely be on board to do this hike because you’re kind of in the middle of nowhere. We were a little skeptical by the unpaved dirt road getting up there but stay confident - you’ll get to the main area eventually. There were very few people there but we were relieved to see we weren’t alone! We took the Hart Redwood fallen Goliath loop and it’s definitely longer than what the sign says. It’s a little over 8 miles. Overall, the hike was beautiful. The weather was perfect for us - and the trees and landscape were breathtaking. Most of the hike is shaded so it’s relatively cooler (make sure you pack accordingly). Lots of cool things to see - waterfalls, amazing trees, wildflowers, and possibly wildlife! We were warned by other hikers that there were bears spotted so be alert! Highly recommended. No crazy inclines but it’s definitely a good, long workout. We were pretty tired by the end. My hiking partner/boyfriend/lover/babushka said it was his favorite trail he’s ever been on.

Great trail with lots of Giant Sequoias. The 2 mile dirt road to get to the trail head looked like it was recently graded so no major potholes, would be easy to get to in a low car. The start of the trail is a gradual downhill and then it's a gradual uphill. With a backpack I was a little out of breath, but really wasn't too steep or difficult. Lots of great trees and scenic spots with small steam crossings. We turned left at the fork and camped along Redwood Creek. Luckily, not very many mosquitoes. We were planning on doing the sugarbowl trail loop back, but got a late start and just did the redwood creek trail back up. That was a gradual uphill, but not too difficult. Watch out for patches of little pine cones, I slipped on those buggars.

This trail is Awesome! The Hart tree loop is really fantastic. Lots of sequoias, lots of cool things to see. Fairly easy, not a ton of up and down that I remember. We backpacked it and slept on the much less-loved section beyond the Junction for Hart and sugarbowl. If you look at the TOPO map and not the alltrails map, it will show an additional trail that follows redwood creek further down the valley. There are less redwoods in this section of the trail, and it is not as recently maintained, but It is beautiful.

Several river crossings, and lots to see.

Did this trail with my wife in early February, was un seasonable warm for this time of year. Great hike with giant trees. my GPS tracker said that the hike ended up being about 8 miles. we saw hundreds of lady bugs near the fallen tree bridge.

Go in the winter. Miles of MASSIVE Sequoias and beautiful scenery. We went on Dec, 8 2017 and didn’t see a single other person on the entire trail. Zero. BUT, we did see a Mountain Lion about 80ft in front of us on the trail at the 4mi mark. Luckily he/she took off, but we were definitely on edge the rest of the way. Took us 3hrs and 10min to complete the loop

Excellent hike. Some mosquitoes but not tons. Lots of sequoias. Many small creeks. Mostly through wooded areas. Only saw about 5-10 people-- probably due to location and unpaved road leading in. All in all a great hike-- tons of sequoias but very little crowd (unlike more southern parts of the park).

Excellent trail. Completed on 7/15/17. Route is clear, but the mosquitoes are out. Be sure and bring bug spray!

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

We did this trail in November. The park was busier than expected, but this trail was very quiet and peaceful. We only saw about 5 other people in total.

The trail begins near Quail Flats down a dirt road across the street. Apparently they sometimes close the road, which if you had to walk to the trail head would add about 4 miles to the total distance. Fortunately for us the road was open and we could drive direct to the trail head.

The trail begins across from the Sugar Bowl trail. We went in the clockwise direction. It was beautiful. You see a lot of landmarks, including the site of an old fence mill from the 1800s, Pierce Log Cabin (which was made from a fire hollowed sequoia), a fire fallowed tree you can walk through, a meadow, the Hart tree itself, a lot of little creeks and a little waterfall, fallen Goliath (which we somehow missed), a back country campsite, and a log foot bridge. All this accompanied by beautiful vistas and massive trees at every turn. Our favorite was the waterfall thou. We even had lunch by it.

Fall was a great time to go as there were indeed leaves on the ground and color in some trees. I definitely recommend it.

One thing I didn't account for was the number of hills to be climbed on this trail. It is definitely more moderate than easy in difficulty. Towards the end I definitely started feeling it.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Our new favorite trail, especially when the park is busy.

Monday, May 30, 2016

We camped where the SugarBowl Trail and Hart Tree trail meet after hiking in on the Sugar Bowl Trail. The Sugar Bowl was amazing with nonstop groves of Giant Sequoia, and views across the canyon and beyond. We camped at the base of a couple huge Sequoia on the south end of Redwood Creek Trail. The following morning we did the long climb out of the canyon, and it was pretty relentless. Did the Hart Tree Trail counter-clockwise, and again loved the scenery. I think this trail has more "landmarks" than the Sugar Bowl Trail. We saw a bear cub playing in a meadow about halfway back to the trailhead. Also, be advised the sign says its 4.5 miles, but gps put it at more like 5.25 from the junction with sugar bowl to the parking lot. Took us about 4 hours with lots of stops for pictures, and a great lunch at this beautiful little waterfall. Not many mosquitos, didn't notice ticks, all around a great trip!

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Did it today. Also had to hike the 2 mile road in and back because it wasnt open to make the total 11.3. This trail is advertised as easy, it is not easy. I went clockwise and when you add the 2 mile climb out it is moderate to strenuous. I dont know if the counter clockwise route is different, but make sure to pay attention to topo for the route you go. I was planning to bust out 10 miles fairly quick due to the trail being an easy one with soft climbs and falls. I finished just under 6 hours and my legs are feeling it. Otherwise, great trail. No marker for fallen goliath that I saw. The trail doesnt follow what the maps show very well, what is here on alltrails is pretty accurate.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Just did this trail today. We had the whole trail to ourselves and never saw anyone else. The trail was easy enough for beginners with only a few uphill spurts. I'd say about 80% of the trail is flat, and all of it is covered with cushiony pine needles.
The up close encounters with the giant trees is second to none. We had a great time climbing the large fallen trees and pointing out all the fire scars along the way.
My one gripe about the trail is pretty trivial. After the two look outs the path changes very little, and by the end I found myself walking fast just to get to done. But again, what I grew bored of was amazingly beautiful trees so take what I say with a grain of salt. It might have to do with hiking for 2 days straight.
Oh, and the dirt road leading down to the trailhead is almost two miles. Drive slow and you should have no problem.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

This trail, although one of my favorites, is a popular trail up in King's Canyon Park; so consequently, there are other hikers. If you like being alone on a hike, this one is not for you. The giant Sequoias make this hike meaningful. It's a lovely hike. This is a moderate hike because of the length and some elevation gain.

recorded Kings Hike #1 2018