Harkins Ridge Trail

Harkins Ridge Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Grabtown, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

I really enjoyed this trail- might be one of my favorites in the area. I also went clockwise down Harkins Ridge and the up Whittmore Gulch for a nice 7 miler. Perfect amount of shade, sun, greenery and wildlife. Love it.

Great hike in a great area, but the data in distance and lis elevation gained is incorrect.

If you look at the elevation profile, you will see it is a mirror image, meaning that one would have to do the loop shown twice to cover the distance and elevation gain

So it's really a 7 mile hike with 1800 feet of elevation gained. I posted data from a few gps sources to illustrate

This is a decent trail but not spectacular. We did it clockwise and the elevation on the way up is pretty good. I will say, not sure how this is 12.8 miles. I logged in at 9.5 and we went out to North Ridge Trail which added an extra 2 miles at least. Not a bad hike but if you're looking for distance, this is not 12 miles long.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015