Harding Truck Trail

Harding Truck Trail is a 27.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Trabuco Canyon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This is an up and back fire road trail. Pretty easy. parking gets full early so go early or a bit later when others are coming out.

Fireroad with a double-track feel throughout due to fallen rocks. I have biked this trail numerous times to get to four corners, modjeska peak, and santiago peak. From a biking perspective, the trail is appreciated as a straightforward (depending on fitness level) route to get to the top of the mountain to explore other trails like Joplin and Holy Jim. Because the climb is constant, the views are continuously changing.

I don't really recommend this for hiking the entirety as it is long and relatively uninteresting way to get to the top with very little shade (90% sun exposure). Partial hike up the trail is a better choice to get up to the benches to enjoy the canyon views.

Went up partially with the dog - yes it is a good dog friendly OC trail. Moderate trail, very exposed to the sun. Easy to find the trail head, right new the bird sanctuary parking. Good hike for kids!

Love to bike up Harding Truck trail for a great workout. The laurel springs is always a great spot to stop and drink some water (filtered of course) and cool off. The spring area has many large fallen trees blocking access, but has been recently cleared by myself to gain better access. Now its much easier to go to the spring and cool off and continue up to Santiago Peak.

Good hike to get the elevation and the views are great. Hot and dry! Will go back between December and March as recommended.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Monday, March 28, 2016

Great, moderate trail. Easy to hike. Best on a Spring sunset.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Ok

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Monday, May 25, 2015

We are going to Yosemite in a couple of weeks and feeling we needed a warm-up hike, decided to try ourselves out on the Harding Truck Trail. I'm still not sure how long this trail is as there seems to be a lot of misleading information so I took my little E-Trek GPS. We decided we'd do five miles each way and just as the E-Trek reached that magic figure, there was a large rock on the right side of the trail. This was further than we'd hiked up there before and as we were shrouded in mist we have no idea what the scenery was like. The wild flowers, however, were a joy, and just got better as we got higher. We even came across some thistles, the first I've seen in parched SoCal. We were at an elevation of about 3400 feet at that point which seems to jive well with NatGeo's trail map [Don't take any notice of the indicated start point by the way, whoever heard of a trailhead two thirds of the way along the trail?! The trailhead is just opposite the Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary on Modjeska Canyon Road.] The fairly steep climb certainly put my arthritic knee through its paces but also gave me the opportunity to prove to myself the usefulness of a a good pair of hilking poles, especially on the way down! Very glad that we had such a dull day as previous visits to the trail have been a sweaty process, necessitating large amounts of one's favourite liquid, water favourably!

Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Did the full Harding to Santiago peak back at the end of July. With no shortcuts, the Strava iPhone app put it at just over 28 miles, and 5.1k vert. Started at 0530 ended up finishing in just over 9 hours elapsed. 6 liters of water in 85-90 degree heat was not enough. Started rationing about a mile below four corners on the way down - but that's really on me for drinking like a horse on the way up.

Bring plenty of water, some good music, and this is one of the best mildly strenuous hikes (in my opinion) that you can do in the Santa Ana Mountains.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Our plan was to hike to Laurel Springs ... other reviews said it was 9 miles round trip ... WRONG ... we later found out it was 9 miles one way. We did get a late start (11:00am), so the lack of shade was brutal. We ended up going out 5 miles (still climbing at this point) before turning around. I took 4 liters of fluid and was glad I did. We might try it again ... but much later in the year.

Sunday, May 18, 2014