Happy Isles to Half Dome

Happy Isles to Half Dome is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mariposa, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

rock climbing

Starting from Happy Isles hike up the Mist Trail towards Vernal and then Nevada Falls. Continue into Little Yosemite Valley, make the slight left onto the JMT. Follow that up through the trees. Keep to the left at the other junctions, the trail is marked for Half Dome. Once on the shoulder, you have to decide if going up the cables is the right choice for you. WEATHER is play a huge factor. Do not go up if there are clouds. Every few years people get hit by lightening even on the shoulder. The climb up and down the cables should be slow. You don't want to rush down the cables. This is a hard hike. The distance and the elevation gain makes this a long day.

This is an amazing hike. You need a permit, which is hard to get, but wow! Do it, absolutely do it.

I'd suggest starting early to avoid crowd. Or do it late. I started at around 6AM, and was up at the cable around 9AM, and it was starting to get crowded while going down. Doing the cable when it is crowded is both annoying and dangerous, so try to plan accordingly. The trail leading up before that is very well marked, so night walk is an option.

Did it along cloud rest. Both trails are very well marked and easy to follow. You can easily do 3miles/hours if you have the legs for it

Up Up and Up, the views are spectacular the hike is difficult. Thankfully I love the escalator at my gym! Once we reached the beginning of the half Dome summit it became real. I made it about 1/3rd of the way and froze in fright, my daughter Emily another 1/3rd than her leg cramped up and could not continue. My second daughter Kaylie and fiancé Branden made it to the top and were terrified, they couldn’t wait to get down, but they did it and I am proud of all of us! Please wear good shoes!!! It took us exactly 12 hours...6 hours up, 2 hours resting throughout, 4 hours back....good socks a must, I had liner socks also and my feet were great, others did not and their feet did not fare so well. Extra zip locks for trash and of course, water, 3 liters was perfect for all of us. Be safe peeps!

Long wonderful hike. We where there in March. There was still snow on the shoulder. Be prepared for the up hill. You get to see 2 water falls, the meadow with the creek, and a spectacular view from an iconic piece of rock. You can hike this trail year round, however the cables and posts are only up from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Since this is a huge draw for hikers there is now a limit to the number of people they allow up in a day. CHECK WITH THE PARK WHEN YOU PLAN TO GO!!!! I cannot say this enough.

Friday, June 30, 2017