Hamms Gulch to Spring Ridge Trail Loop

Hamms Gulch to Spring Ridge Trail Loop is a 7.3 mile loop trail located near Portola Valley, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Steady climb and open pasture up to Windy Hill

My dog and I loved it! Follow the recommendations to take the trail clockwise- so much better!

Nice trail, good uphill climb & great views at the top.

Recently moved to NorCal and his is the first trail I completed with my dog. Definitely an enjoyable one, I started off at the summit and walked counterclockwise through the forest first. Lots of neat scenic sites and wildlife--a very small amount of construction due to recent rain (just cleaning a few exposed roots and smoothing the path), but nothing distracting. Great trail for dogs, just watch out for the ticks, they seem to be everywhere. The last portion of the hike climbing up to windy hill was a bit strenuous but well worth it in the end. Bring lots of water for your dog.

Really pretty route with views and plenty of wildflowers- including thistles so beware if you're wearing shorts. Also I think I saw some poison oak or ivy so there's that. Well maintained trail.

Very good hike - easy to find TH with no gate - plenty of parking. I went clockwise, which is much better bc of switchbacks going up. Mile 2-4 were the best for me although great views at the top. Keeping it from 5 stars - too many people and boring on the 2nd half/ on the way down. Lots of sun on the way down which was nice

gorgeous views throughout. as others mention, a bit muddy due to recent rain so don't bring your nicest shoes! Sweeping views of the bay, green grasses and some flowers that are starting to bloom. Dogs are allowed but no trash cans for poop bags and ticks in the grass. :-/

I recommend keeping your dog on leash because of the ticks but otherwise it's an awesome hike!

Part of the gulch was really muddy and a bit difficult to navigate. But we were rewarded with the most spectacular views when we got out of the woods. From the top of the trail you have a perfect view of the ocean on one side and the bay on the other. When you get to the top you are just about halfway.

Monday, January 16, 2017

good!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

lovely shady hike. my dog loves jumping in the creek to cool off.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Great trail. A very intense climbing to the top of Wind Hill, but the way back worth it all.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

It was our first time doing the trail and we loved it. The trail is under the big trees and lunch greens around it. There's also a stream in the first part of the trail and you can hear the water as well. The trail is a lot of switch backs and all going up hill so you are definitely getting your workout too. When we reach the end of the trail we decided to go to windy hill and down to spring ridge trail loop. It's the perfect time to hike as the trees are changing colors .

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Awesome. I took Hamm Gulch to Lost Trail, then connected to Spring Ridge. This route is dog friendly. Hamm Gulch is mostly shaded, and the incline isn't so bad with the switch backs. Spring Ridge is completely open with little shade, and a steep grade down. Spring Ridge is bike friendly, but not horse. I imagine if you took this route the opposite way it would be challenging, starting with the hill and sun. I logged 7.6 miles with 1475 ft incline. There is also a creek to cross when on Gulch, which is nice for dogs and horses to drink out of. There are some benches along the way as well. Would definitely recommend!