Halls Ranch Trail

Halls Ranch Trail is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Camptonville, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Camptonville: Travel 9 miles northeast on Hwy. #49, turn left onto Cal-Ida Road (which turns into Road #25). Proceed on Road #25 to Halls Ranch and turn onto the dirt road at the Halls Ranch Guard Station, pass the buildings and continue 1.25 miles, (veering right at the fork) to the trailhead.

I did this as a solo overnight backpacking trip to test new gear for an upcoming long distance trip (JMT) in the summer. 2800 up and 1200 down on day 1, 1600 up and 3300 down on day 2 (including side trip on Fiddle Creek Ridge Trail). On this April day, I started encountering snow around 4000 and found significant coverage at 4300.

Trail started at Highway 49 rising 1500 feet up over several switchbacks to the top Fiddle Creek Ridge. From there one can get a view of the surrounding mountains. Continuing on, I went 500 foot down to Fiddle Creek. There is no bridge here, and early spring runoff prevented any rock hopping. I crossed in my water shoes with no issues, about 18 inches deep. Next, up the hill 700 feet to about the 4300 foot elevation. Started to see snow, but after a short level section the trail went down again 600 feet to Little Fiddle Creek and another creek crossing (shorter crossing but slightly deeper). Then up again 600 feet to the snowline, which was encountered right after the single track trail transitioned to fire road. I did not want to trudge through the snow, so I found a camp spot on a section of old fire road, just off the main trail. Next morning I went back the other direction, crossing two creeks and back up to the main ridge. I decided to travel along a couple miles of the Fiddle Creek Ridge trail in order to increase the total mileage of the trip.

What I liked: I enjoyed the lack of people on the trail. A dirt biker passed me on day 1, and didn't see anyone else until noon the next day when I crossed paths with a small group of day hikers.

Things I didn't like: There were a few vistas but overall less scenery than some of the higher Sierra trails. Also a lack of suitable camping locations. I didn't find anything easily accessible by the creeks. The best spot was on a ridge at 4100 feet near the end of the trail, and was not near any water.

This trail would be suitable for an early season trip when the higher elevations are still snowed in.

Beautiful views and had it all to ourselves. Creek is gorgeous! It’s single track with sharp switch backs and pockets of rock scree on steep slope sides that would feel technical and challenging for some horses and riders.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Beautiful and vigorous trail. First 1.5 miles are straight uphill without a break. Gorgeous views of the surrounding hills and Sierra Buttes. Not sure where the 12.7 mile estimate is coming from, though. 9.5 miles from parking lot to Hall's Ranch. Definitely a hike I will be repeating.

Monday, August 11, 2014