Haines Canyon to Mount Lukens Trail

Haines Canyon to Mount Lukens Trail is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tujunga, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trip starts at the end of Haines Canyon Ave in Tujunga, parking can be a challenge but as a fall back position you can park at the city property near the intersection with Apperson St. Proceed through the locked gate and past the Debris Basin, which is the site of the now long gone City of Tujunga water department to another locked gate. Here you are greeted with a warning sign. The road above here becomes increasingly rough and less maintained. This area was once Homesteaded and if you look on the USGS Topo maps the dark shading indicates private property within the national forest. There was a small community named Azteca here until roughly 1934 and was certainly gone by 1938 after severe flooding. There is an old Auto Club city sign over at Bolton Hall Museum if you ever have time to see it on a Sunday afternoon.

I enjoyed this hike! Went on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend thinking it would be busy, and only saw 3 people in my 2.5 hours to the summit. Indeed longer than stated, as others have said. I clocked 10.5 miles round trip. My knees were way more sore than I thought they would be. I took the west loop on the way down (the way this hike leads you) and it was a cyclists dream. Although narrow at parts, it was beautiful and I recommend it. And that VW Bug! What a hilarious treat.

Amazing trail & not super difficult. I went up the Haines Canyon Trail to Rim of the Valley Trail which took me to the old Mt. Lukens Trail... hungout on top by myself for an hour and then took then the fire road to the Crescenta View Trail & down to the Wilderness Park.

3.5 hrs up & 2.5 hrs down. Frost line is about 4,000ft & snow line a little under 5,000ft.

Pretty difficult trail run that takes about 1.5-2 hours running to summit. Very little shade but total peace and quiet and great views. Definitely recommend

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Very calm. Lovely.

Monday, April 03, 2017

This is a scenic and secluded hike. It should be rated as difficult though, not moderate. My legs were pretty damn sore afterwards. I only saw a couple bikers and hikers (watch out for the bikers). There's not a lot of shade, so avoid this trail on a hot day (I wouldn't do it above 80 degrees). Make sure to bring food and plenty of water either way.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

It was okay.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

nice 7.4 mile one way starting from seven hills in tujunga. 3000ft total gain, 15.x miles total. started at 7am r eturned about 2ish. 77 degrees out no shade shelter would advise to start early or take min 2 liters of water/person. the blue bug spot is a bee hive inside be careful. decent amount of poison oak on the way up and plety of overgrowth up to face high.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

As a beginner hiker, this was pretty difficult. I'm talking ALL uphill until the very end. We started at 8am taking the left trail to the top. At some point early on, we strayed off the path accidentally and came across a hill with stonework and a picnic bench! Pretty awesome considering it's in the middle of nowhere. Probably have to come back and enjoy a lunch there. ;) Tons of switchbacks and we even came across an abandoned blue bug. It was rusted and practically buried in the ground. Pretty cool. Hah! The view at the peak was absolutely beautiful. Totally worth the climb. We headed back down the other trail to complete the loop which was almost seemed to be more difficult than climbing. It's all dirt and rocks which took a huge toll on all of our joints and feet. I was still sore and tired the day after. Also be sure to wear sunscreen if you take the right trail at all. It's sunshine hitting you the entire time! If we do this again, we'll probably just do an out and back and not the full loop. This trail was awesome though! Total ass kicker!

Sunday, January 17, 2016

First off I want to rate this as moderate to hard. That being said I really enjoyed this hike. I think it is completely underrated and is a must hike trail in Los Angeles. The trail head is easy to find just look for the gates and follow the trail. The hike up was absolutely beautiful. There was snow at the summit and it was very cold and windy. The views are amazing but you do have to deal with the towers and gates but well worth it. On the way back down make sure to not miss the sister elsie trail there is no marker. there is a cool little blue bug on this part of the trail and it was fun to imagine how it got there. We started at 7:30am and got back just before 2:00 we did take a couple stops due to our beginner hikers but I felt bad because I didn't think the trek up would be that difficult. Overall everyone enjoyed it. You can still see the aftermath of the 2009 station fire, I wish there where better trail markers and it was challenging but the peak made it worth it =)

Monday, November 23, 2015

We GPSd as we went along and took a scenic loop route of about 14 miles. such wonderful views on this Rocky but maintained path. Hiking poles were helpful due to grades and rocks on the paths. My 11 yo daughter and I have it two thumbs up!

Thursday, October 24, 2013

I didn't know exactly where I was going, but continued on the path up the mountain. Took about two hours and a half hours to get to the highest peak. I didn't see anyone else, straight solitude. By the time I was on my way down it was starting to get dark, so I got some awesome pictures of the sun setting over the city/mountains. The last hour of the hike was in the dark though LOL

Friday, May 10, 2013

Awesome for an uphill run. Challenging and private.

Friday, February 10, 2012

This is a training hike for Whitney. Not bad. No shade and hot even in February. Great views on a clear day! I would do it again.

Sunday, July 16, 2017