Haines Canyon to Mount Lukens Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(104)
Angeles National Forest

Haines Canyon to Mount Lukens Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sunland-Tujunga, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,890 feet Route Type: Loop

This trip starts at the end of Haines Canyon Ave in Tujunga, parking can be a challenge but as a fall back position you can park at the city property near the intersection with Apperson St. Proceed through the locked gate and past the Debris Basin, which is the site of the now long gone City of Tujunga water department to another locked gate. Here you are greeted with a warning sign. The road above here becomes increasingly rough and less maintained. This area was once Homesteaded and if you look on the USGS Topo maps the dark shading indicates private property within the national forest. There was a small community named Azteca here until roughly 1934 and was certainly gone by 1938 after severe flooding. There is an old Auto Club city sign over at Bolton Hall Museum if you ever have time to see it on a Sunday afternoon.

Very quiet hike almost the whole way. we only saw one hiker going up and one hiker at the top.....No bikes just one guy at the end of the loop. It’s confusing at the binging of the trail so make sure you have the right directions. We took the right side of the trail. It’s a very long hike 12 miles total.

This was a great trail! Definitely recommend taking the left side up and coming down the loop - the views are incredible. The trail to the right is much easier and can actually be used as a running trail.

icy

Labeled difficult for a good reason! Lots of long stretches of incline. If you take the trail to the blue buggy there are a LOT of fallen trees. Currently in January 2020 it has quiet a bit of snow. Definitely wear the appropriate footwear!

Nice trail. Confusing at a couple points because of the bike trails people have created. Easy to correct though. But on a weekday morning I saw one hiker in the first quarter mile, and then no one until the final mile were I spotted some mountain bikers. Not the most exciting summit but good views throughout and nice steady climb. If anything I’d skip the old mt lukens trail - seems mostly used by bikers and not graded well for hiking. Would love to know the story of the blue VW. Saw quite a few deer and tons of birds.

Too many mountain bikers. Not a good sunrise hike bc the colors are behind you during the ascent.

Insane climb - awesome jump line.

The loop branch around 3.5mile from the trailhead is covered by many vegetation, which is a little bit hard to find. There are more shades in the north west branch of the loop but there is a lot of over grown. We took the anti-clockwise direction of the loop and spotted a Mojave green rattlesnake in the middle of the road.

Sun May 26 2019

The first five miles climbing to the top was really hard. Especially after rainy season, there were a lot of ruts on the trail let alone rocky. Anyways, enjoyed the ride very much.

Sun May 26 2019

Difficult to hard, we only hiked the 7 mile loop clockwise, but the first 3 miles is difficult, uphill most all the way. My girlfriend and I are training for a 15 mile hike in Switzerland, so needless to say we’ve been searching out the longer hikes in LA, from Rogers SP to Los Liones to Griffith. This is our favorite hike so far, even though we did it in the rain and full overcast conditions, we were basically in a cloud the whole time, which took 3.25 hours. Yes the blue VW Bug is a treat, we also wonder how it ended up there! I cannot wait to see the views when it’s a clear day. You’ll love this one but come prepared with snacks and plenty of water.

Bring bug spray!!!!!

Sun Mar 24 2019

I will recommend this trail for beginners. Hikers can get stronger. The trail is not to long and is in good condition with a wonderful views.

Sat Feb 23 2019

Have hiked this twice now, first time it was raining and we couldn't see much, this time the visibility was excellent and the views matched. Plus, thanks to the recent storms, there's a surprising amount of snow along the trail and at the peak. Our dog loved it and so did we. But definitely heed the comments of many others: don't hike this when it's hot out.

Fri Feb 15 2019

Sat Dec 22 2018

As everyone has already said, it's closer to 11 miles. Took the loop counterclockwise and found I had some decent protection from the sun on the way up (left the trailhead at 9AM in the winter) the other half of the loop has a lot of rock walls and high brush so even at noon I wasn't in the sun a lot. Really expansive view of the Southland from the top. Well maintained, easy to follow, quiet.

Fri Dec 14 2018

this was a surprise I didn't expect to see the panoramic views that you find two and a half miles up we didn't have any traffic we were all by ourselves and it was as peaceful as could be and the views were spectacular you could see Catalina from end-to-end and you could see San Clemente unbelievable

Sun Oct 21 2018

This was a fantastic hike. A bit of endurance needed. My Fitbit said 11.4 miles so don’t worry once you pass the 9.8 AllTrails states. Not a lot of people were around during my hike. I saw maybe 4-5 people and a few bike riders. Definitely worth doing. Especially since Mt Lukens is apparently the highest peak in LA city limits.

Sun May 27 2018

I enjoyed this hike! Went on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend thinking it would be busy, and only saw 3 people in my 2.5 hours to the summit. Indeed longer than stated, as others have said. I clocked 10.5 miles round trip. My knees were way more sore than I thought they would be. I took the west loop on the way down (the way this hike leads you) and it was a cyclists dream. Although narrow at parts, it was beautiful and I recommend it. And that VW Bug! What a hilarious treat.

Tue Mar 20 2018

Amazing trail & not super difficult. I went up the Haines Canyon Trail to Rim of the Valley Trail which took me to the old Mt. Lukens Trail... hungout on top by myself for an hour and then took then the fire road to the Crescenta View Trail & down to the Wilderness Park. 3.5 hrs up & 2.5 hrs down. Frost line is about 4,000ft & snow line a little under 5,000ft.

Sun Sep 24 2017

Pretty difficult trail run that takes about 1.5-2 hours running to summit. Very little shade but total peace and quiet and great views. Definitely recommend

Tue May 16 2017