Guy West Bridge to Goethe Park

Guy West Bridge to Goethe Park is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sacramento, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

A good walk but not outstanding - except for a great bridge to view and walk over!!! We did this hike in the winter and it was overcast and cool.

Easy trail with lots of views of the river.

Lots of homeless people living here. My wife and I also encountered a big stray dog that was aggressive.

The north side of the river is ok, but the loop around the south side is not at all pleasant. From Guy West Bridge to Howe Ave. it is only paved path with no shade, and no views of the river (only the sewage treatment plant). The section from Howe to Watt does have shade but is heavily populated by homeless people. It still doesn't afford the river views that the north part of the loop does unless you take one of the side dirt trails. But with all the people living in the bushes it's just too sketchy. I'd say just walk the American River trail.

This is a nice and easy trail that goes along the American River, looping around using a pedestrian bridge (Guy West Bridge) near the university, and a car bridge (Watt Ave. Bridge). It has partial/moderate shade so bring a hat and sunblock. The north side of the river is a little nicer, but I encountered wildlife on both sides as it was a quiet day on the trail on a very hot Friday midday in June. There are several places to access the river and cool off your feet. You can stay on the bike trail, or use the dirt/horse trail that runs alongside. There are bathrooms near the Howe Ave. Bridge and the Watt Ave. Bridge. There are also places to picnic on both sides of the river (about halfway between the bridges). There aren't really any views, but it was fun to see people floating down the river - it's fast this year from the late snowmelt.

Nice loop!

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

This is an excellent close to 5 mile loop trail. I usually park in La Riviera on the South Side of the American River near the Howe Avenue Bridge. It's easy to access the river trail. Run west towards the Guy West Bridge then crossover and follow the trail to the Watt Ave Bridge then cross back over. If you stick to the main trail there are dirt trails next to the main bike trail. There are a lot of Side trails you can hop on if you're feeling more adventurous. No traffic so need to stop and go, perfect for runners.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Super easy paved trail. There is more shade than I thought there would be.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

So the trail head is well hidden. No signs. The trail head is on the corner of La Riviera drive and Howe Ave. Flat trail. Well trafficked. Many bikers. I had my dog off leash, but others had theirs on leash. I liked the option to follow the trail on a levee section that isn't as shaded. I LOVED that u can take detours from the trail toward the river. It's not even far off the trail. The dogs loved that.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Great hike loved it easy and fun.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

The kids have fun. Easy walk along the paved road or exploring the unpaved river trails.

Monday, January 30, 2017

most of the view is blocked by unkempt grass, I enjoyed the paseo styled trail. this area is more for running and exercise and less for views and hiking. my dog, however went crazy for the unkempt grass. will return in running gear and no dog.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Nicely maintained. We really enjoyed it.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Love this walk

Friday, August 05, 2016

I lived behind the levee for 8 years and walked this "trail" 3-4 times a week when I couldn't make a drive out to some other location. It's a great spot to walk, bike, or swim if you want a nearby outing.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

fun

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

This was a nice trail, but some guy on a bike started following my friend and I halfway through our walk making it really uncomfortable. Needless to say we cut our walk short and probably won't go back again.

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Nice spot to take a run or bike ride without leaving the city. Shade is minimal and the trail is hot during the summer. This trail is also a refuge to wildlife such as turkey and deer which can often be seen riverside.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

The American River Parkway has a great trail system. (I'm not sure what the Guy West Bridge part is) but you can park almost anywhere along the trail and create your own out-and-back. The trail runs about 26 miles along the American River in Sacramento. You can start in Discovery Park and go all the way to Folsom Lake if you want. I tried going to Discovery Park once but didn't like the idea of parking there. However, in hindsite, I"m sure it would have been a great location. The park has bathrooms and a boat launch. Right now I park at REI, then ride down the street to find an access point at the end of the street that leads up the levee and into the trail. After the ride I have my choice of shopping REI or hitting up Starbucks or a few other places if I need to.
I have down this trail on a mountainbike and a road bike. The are a few choices of trail. The is a nice mostly flat paced trail that runs the length of the parkway and is perfect for road biking or just cruising. There are a few other smaller dirt trails that you can explore as well and there is a a mix of paved and gravel trail that runs along the levee. This offers some variety.
On a summer Sunday afternoon, there was a good bit of traffic but nothing to worry about. I think this is the best area that I have found so far where I can ride on a flat surface without worrying about cars, or streets to cross and I can just pick up speed.
I found a lot of hikers and casual bike riders too. However, this also seems to be a friendly place to those less fortunate so there was a mix of people that looked like they might be living in the park.

Overall, an easy to access flat, well kept, and decently scenic trail system.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Easy.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

It was a great little walk.

Monday, September 01, 2014

Nice walking trail. Great to bring dogs to let them run off leash. Lots of shade.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Flat and fairly easy.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

300 feet elevation gain? Maybe 30.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Very easy walk. Lots and lots of people walking, jogging and biking pretty fast. Several geocaches around this area as well.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

This is a nice, easy bike trail. I was able to ride with my cruiser fine. My boyfriend had a much easier time on his road bike (thanks to the gears). Even so, there were very few hills so I didn't have any issues. Sacramento gets HOT people. Very little shade on this trail so on a hot day I wouldn't ride it, but that's just me!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Going off what James is saying there are a lot of folks that sneer at Mountain bikera who like to edge off on the terrain and actually "use" their mountain bike. Road cyclist are great, always courteous but most the walkers and dog walkers are very vapid and or uncourteous.
The bridge to Ghoete Park is beautiful. There are even spots to swim. Bring a pack with binoculars, camera, food, and other necessary items. This area is great.

Friday, April 05, 2013

4/5 stars. I've been mtn biking all around here for years, if you live near (within an hour) its a must visit. Definitely something for all, from the beginning bikers to the advanced... The only thing holding this trail from 5 star status is the "local morn. dog walkers".They walk their dogs leaving poo everywhere on every trail & they sneer as you ride by, my advice is to stay on the trail your allowed to be on. All the parks & rec employees I've encountered are nice, never had an issue. BUT if your adventurous, your skills are above par & your bike isn't from Wal-Mart go where you wish, & enjoy. Despite the snikering & $5.00 parking fee (honor system).

Friday, January 11, 2013

A well kept paved trail along the river. Best for Cyclist.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

This is a very nice and tranquil place to ride. Not very many river view sites but non the less great. This is a place with very little shade. In summer time it might be too hot but during winter it might be ideal because there's more sky. Very nature like environment. Overall it's good!.