Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Gunsight Rock and Mount Hood Trail

Gunsight Rock and Mount Hood Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Rosa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

To get to the trail head take Sonoma highway 12 to Los Alamos road. Take the Goodspeed trail marked on the left side of the road. You will go over a foot bridge then double track along the creek and upward. As you ascend there are views of the Sonoma Valley (Kenwood and Glen Ellen), the trail skirts the creek and crosses it again, then turns into single track, you will leave the cover of the forest and walk a narrow path along the side of the mountain, at the top of this climb the trail veers to the left to Gunsight rock. Once at the top you will find panoramic valley views and of course Gunsite rock at your feet.

I took what I think was the hood mountain trail or “lower johnston ridge trail” off of Sonoma highway. Passed a few houses on the way up. I did see a trail near the summit signed gunsight rock. But does anyone know how to take the summit trail up from los alamos road to gunsight rock? I tried to get directions to the trail using this app and it instead routed me all the way up to the top of gunsight rock (I wanted to hike it not drive up to the top). The map shows 4 different routes to get there but I can only seem to find the one.

Challenging but rewarding hike. Be prepared there is a lot of steep elevation. But the view and the bragging rights are worth it. The creek is now cross-able without much effort. There are still some wet spots and poles are advisable on some of the slippery terrain.

This was an awesome hike! Challenging but well worth it for the views at Gunsight Rock. Summit trail is very rocky and technical. Hood mountain trail is a fire road and a lot smoother terrain. When I go back I’ll take the summit trail up and fire road back. Fire road exposed summit trail goes through the woods. There was a lot of water if you have a filter no need to bring more than a few liters. Bring crocs/flip flops for crossing Santa Rosa creek in the first mile if you don’t want to hike the rest of the day with wet feet. Trails in great condition not much mud at all I was surprised after recent rains. Views at gunsight are incredible. You can see SF on a clear day.

I did this trail the morning of Sunday, March 24, 2019. Partially cloudy. Parking fee $7. Be prepared to take off your footwear and pass Santa Rosa creek with good level of water flow these days. The water level came up to an inch below my knees in the middle. Freezing of course. River width is maybe about 15-20 ft. The trail is partially shaded. I saw 0 people in the Summit Trail up and back. Nice view in the summit. There was no trail to follow after I reached the Mt Hood summit, despite the suggestion here. Seems to me Goodspeed trail and the following Gunsight Rock trail are not defined correctly in the app map. Before getting to summit, you will see a fork to Goodspeed trail, however.

Beginning at the Los Alamos TH, we took time for snacks and chatting. Most beautiful views from the summit. Very happy dog!

I’m going to be honest with you. This was just 2 miles of straight up incline. It hurts. Buuut, the views are unbeatable, you can even see the Golden Gate Bridge on a clear day.

Great views.

I did this trail back in December and I wish I could share pictures with this post!! First, definitely an elevation gain hike to get you feeling REALLY GOOD - I spent hours here with my dog and then cuddled up with some pizza and beer before crashing for the night (we slept like babies)  I’m from Colorado so I tried to pick one of the hardest ones thinking it wouldn’t be that hard and oh my was I still panting - but so worth it!!! Beautiful hike, great workout and amazing weather (when I went but I imagine CA is mostly amazing weather). Only thing I didn’t think about were tics (and my dog was a magnet - we don’t have them in Colorado!) So make sure your pups are protected! Ozzie’s fine - just was covered because we were space cadets on a road trip :) 

Beautiful trails! You can turn at Hood Mountain and call it a solid day or continue to Gun Sight. Highly recommend.

great hike, beautiful view at the top

Challenging switchbacks but totally worth the effort for that vista. I loved this trail and resting at the rock for a bit before the easy breezy downhill.

Brutal is a good way to describe this trail, but what did I expect for climbing a mountain? I started from Los Alamos and worked my way up Hood Mountain. I decided to take the Summit Trail rather than the fire road. It was nice and shady and kept my mind occupied with technical challenges. Sometimes you are climbing rocks and at other times you almost lose the trail. I slowed down as I got tired and the ascent got steeper. Made it to the summit and took a break. You can see evidence of last year's fires higher up. I wanted to go to Gunsight Rock but my legs said, "No more!" so I returned via the fire road trail. It was easier, but also more exposed to the sun. Later I turned off the app to save phone battery (I brought a portable charger but no cord

Dont kill yourself on the ascent, the last quarter mile is some of the most brutal trail you can find in Sonoma County! Completely worth the hike, and you get to experience tons of the wildfire land to feel closer to nature. So sad, but the regrowth is insipring

You can see SF from Gunsight Rock on a clear day! Nice hike. Dog friendly.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Beautiful view!!! Kicked my Mo F***** asssss!!!!!

Saturday, March 03, 2018

Was beautiful just the hardest hike I’ve ever been on yet worth it when you get to the top.

Friday, January 26, 2018

Difficult hike but well worth it!! I ended up exhausteddddd afterwards! We spent about 2 hours at the peak enjoying the views, far and wide!!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

hard hike but the view at the top is super worth it...on a clear day you can see sf. pretty views along the way too...bring lots of water

Sunday, May 28, 2017

What Winky said is true. I've hiked this trail several times & it is a butt kicker! The down is harder than the up, but the views are gorgeous.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Amazing view on a clear day. Worth the trek

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Be ready for a good workout. View is stunning

Sunday, November 06, 2016

worth the effort !!! date day hike with the husband !