Grouse Ridge Trail

Grouse Ridge Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Soda Springs, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,732 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Nevada City: Travel east of Hwy. #20 for 19 miles and turn left onto Bowman Lake Road, which is four miles west of I-80 off State Hwy. #20. Travel north to the Graniteville Road, County Road #843, and bearing right. You will be following the road along Bowman Lake. After traveling 3.3 miles, turn right on Faucherie Lake Road and go 1.3 miles to the trailhead. The road is not recommended for low clearance vehicles.

Trail back

Road getting here is a rough one in vehicle. Hike is amazing. Amazing views. So many lakes

Jon Bryant claims road 14 to Grouse Ridge trail is closed. Not so I just called the Forest Service at 530 288 3231 and they confirmed that Road 14 to Grouse Ridge trail is open, it is not closed

Went to hike this trail yesterday, 8/14/19 and after driving a few miles down the rough and tumble dirt road, it was closed for construction, about 4 miles before the trailhead. I wasn't up for adding 8 miles(round trip) to the already 10 mile hike. I hope to do this hike in the future. Also, I would advise that you have a solid vehicle with some clearance before attempting to drive this road.

Great hike! We did counter-clockwise and finished with a refreshing swim before the climb back to parking lot. Fabulous views, beautiful wildflowers,sparkling blue water. No big crowds, miles of trail with very few hikers and fewer mosquitoes. Perfect day. Look forward to going back to float in the lakes again!

In late June 2019, the snow blocked the dirt road to even reach the trailhead. We hiked in the last 1.5 mile on the road; the trailhead was under about 7' of snow. We hiked about 5 miles total, ate lunch around a frozen Milk Lake, and meandered our way back out and onto less snowy pastures. Per PG&E's website, they don't intend to maintain this trail this year.

Friday, September 14, 2018

Love Glacier Lake and Island Lake. Favorite Is to go from Carr Lake to Island Lake day 1 and then to 5 lakes next day and back home on Sunday. My favorite local backpacking spot.

Monday, September 10, 2018

Hi all, my friends and I are undertaking this hike soon, is hike 10 miles there and back or 10 each way (20 total)? A couple of sites I went to doesn't seem to clarify this and people are confused. Thanks!

Saturday, July 28, 2018

This trail was great. Signage was lacking in some spots, so have a reliable GPS on hand (Gaia GPS). Beautiful views and sawmill lake was a great spot to camp. This was my first backpacking trip (day one of three was on this trail) and moderate is accurate in my opinion as someone who cycles/runs/hikes 5/6 days per week. We were on this trail on a Weds and didn’t see a soul. It was amazing!

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Beautiful high Sierra hike.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Started at Lindsey Lakes trail, down past Penner and Island Lakes, then back up the Grouse Ridge trail. Mostly downhill the way we went. Nice forest views, rock formations, and wildflowers. Not much water on the trail so make sure you have enough with you. Shotgun Lake was marshy, filled with lily pads, and smelled like poo. The sign at the connector between Grouse Ridge and Lindsey Lakes trail is wrong. It’s says 1/2 mile, but it’s likely 1 1/2.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Great trails. App is helpful but the route is clear. We left from Carr Lake and went North on Grouse Ridge. The connection to Crooked Lake trail is incorrect on app. It reads .5 miles, but is over 1. We stayed at Rock Lake overnight, which was quiet and great. On the way back, we went around the back of Penner Lake, and were rewarded with awesome views over Cumberton Lake. Highly recommend the detour. Know that the trails, especially closer to Feeley Lake will be very crowded on weekends. Many thanks to the efforts of Bicyclists Of Nevada County and others for the trail features that keep the system working so well

Monday, July 10, 2017

I am taking my kids here on Wednesday, looking for an update on Trail and Lake conditions, backpacking into Glacier Lake or 5 Lakes Basin. Will we use the Sand Ridge Trail. Thanks for the updates! Craig

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Once you get past the 5 miles of rocky dirt road you will find that this area was worth the drive. Hiked the glacier ridge trail, to the round hill trail making Island Lake our final destination with stops at Milk, Round and Long lakes along the way. Mid-week hike meant we didn't encounter to many others on the trail.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Directions not accurate. When you turn on to Bowman Lake Road look for Grouse Ridge Look Out -- 6 mile dirt road/4 wheel drive to top. Or if you prefer you can take Bowman Lake Road to Sawmill Lake (note dirt with tight turns when you get 1/2 hr+ in) then go backwards. Since we couldn't figure out directions we parked at Lindsey Lake and hiked to Rock Lake and could have circled around but late in day. So opted to scout by car to find trail head at Grouse Ridge Look Out after our hike.

Monday, June 27, 2016

The road to the actual trailhead is a pretty aggressive dirt/super rocky road. Not recommended to attempt if you don't have the appropriate vehicle. The mileage that is marked on the trailhead/junctions is also not accurate at all (makes for 1/2 to upper rock lake when it's actually more like 1 mile, etc).

Sunday, June 26, 2016

This trail leads you past Middle lake, Shotgun Lake, and finally to Sawmill lake. Along the way are several small lakes, streams, meadows, and nice canyon river with small waterfalls off Shotgun lake. The trail is a mixture of well marked to "follow the cairns". The section from the junction to Penner lake down to Sawmill lake is a mess of fallen trees, but if you take your time and follow the cairns you will find Sawmill lake ok. Sawmill is a dam lake, but it is a unique dam as the ocvverflow forms a natural style waterfall. Lots of places to camp and a few steep sections, but overall a kid and dog friendly hike.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Beautiful views! My 7 year old had no problem keeping up :)

Sunday, June 07, 2015

We did about 14 miles from Sawmill lake to Grouse ridge. A two and a half drive from my home in Quincy.

Friday, July 18, 2014

I have done this hike several times with a youth organization I volunteer with. There are several lakes that you come across as well as many different camping grounds you can hike into. I would definitely suggest it to people to try. Just avoid the holiday weekends as it is very near Lake Tahoe and can get a bit busy.

Sunday, October 07, 2018