Grotto Trail

Grotto Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Directions from Thousand Oaks, CA: Travel US 101 / Ventura Freeway east to Highway 23 / Westlake Boulevard. Head south on Hwy. 23 to Mulholland Highway. Turn right (west) and proceed to Yerba Buena Road to reach Circle X Ranch. Park at the Ranger Station on Yerba Buena Road and walk down to the Group Campground where trail begins.

Nice hike throughout the majority of the trail and since I'm a starter at these hikes, at the end it is a little challenging coming down the rock trail and descending down the rope. Overall, I would definitely do it again.

Nice hike. Easy hike out to grotto. Mild climb back to trailhead. You will need to do some rock climbing to get to the grotto.

I went on 1/21/2017. It was after the big rains. It was so much fun because the river was full. It had 3 waterfalls. The river was so deep before the grotto that I was knee deep. We did not make it to the grotto due to the water levels but it was not disappointing. Lots of flowers starting to grow... the spring will be amazing here. Bring water shoes to cross the stream.

This trail is fun and relatively easy. I went with a friend this morning (12/31/2016). We've just had a bunch of rain so everything was very wet still. But we were still able to complete the trail. It's a well marked trail with lots of little off shoots to explore. I highly recommend this hike if you are looking for something secluded and cool. Lots of trees to protect you from the sun on a hot day, but there are also high points with great views! I will definitely go again!

This is an in - out trail. Mostly downhill on the way in so be prepared for a lot of uphill back out. Nice views along the way. Major rock slide at end of trail. I didn't enjoy the drive in to the trail head. Wondered if we would ever get there. Glad we went.

Had a lot of fun. Went past the end of the grotto trail until we were completely off trail. Ended up finding a sign that said "Boundary Line" of the state park. Made it back just before night fall. The actual two small caves were great places to visit. 10/10 would hike again.

Beautiful views, easy trail yet turns and landscape keep it engaging and rewarding. Great for kids, too!

Love the bouldering session at the end! Favorite hike for me and my kids!

Very scenic trail for the area it's in. The drought dried up most of the water so there's not much left once you actually reach the grotto, but it was still an enjoyable hike.