Grotto Trail

Grotto Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Directions from Thousand Oaks, CA: Travel US 101 / Ventura Freeway east to Highway 23 / Westlake Boulevard. Head south on Hwy. 23 to Mulholland Highway. Turn right (west) and proceed to Yerba Buena Road to reach Circle X Ranch. Park at the Ranger Station on Yerba Buena Road and walk down to the Group Campground where trail begins.

One of the best trails. Somewhat challenging for new hikers.

Really fun trail. This is only my 2nd one so the "Easy" tag was a bit misleading. The last quarter mile before the grotto gets a bit hairy compared to most easy trails I've been on. Quite a bit of bouldering and there's a rope to climb up and down a drop.

Brought my 7 year old nephew and we were both winded by the time we got back. But it was a lot of fun - will definitely come back when I've got a few more trails under my belt.

Easy enough trail until just above the grotto from which point there's a bit of a climb/scramble down and back up again. Managed it with a 3 yr old, an 8 yr old and my wife who has never done any climbing before.

The grotto itself is well worth the journey down, my 3 yr old didn't want to leave.

I had a bit of a look further down the creek from the grotto, and very soon came across a lot of poison oak, although I didn't see any along the main trail.

Loads of cheeky little lizards about, a gopher snake or two (harmless) and some humming birds which was nice.

Make sure you save some energy for the hike back up to the top though.

beautiful, easy, and fun! love having to jump the boulders.. makes it exciting

It was above average not top notch

Awesome

Very nice trail and especially if taking your dog. Make sure to keep legs and arms covered because there is a lot of poison oak on the trail as well as ticks looking to grab on to you. Had to knock a tick off my dogs head in the middle of the trail. The last part to the grotto you can't take your dog- so go with a group so some can hold back with the animals.