Grotto Trail

Grotto Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Directions from Thousand Oaks, CA: Travel US 101 / Ventura Freeway east to Highway 23 / Westlake Boulevard. Head south on Hwy. 23 to Mulholland Highway. Turn right (west) and proceed to Yerba Buena Road to reach Circle X Ranch. Park at the Ranger Station on Yerba Buena Road and walk down to the Group Campground where trail begins.

I think this trail was easy getting to the waterfall. The way back was a good work out. Well worth it! I would rate this hike to be moderate.

So goreous and the water is refreshing to walk in after hiking in the heat

Short hike with a great pay off!

The terrain is very easy with minimal inclines, good for all ages. The grotto faces away from you so once you get to the destination you'll have to do some rock scrambling to get to the front. This part might be harder for some. At times you'll have to inspect the whole area for the best course of action because there isn't a defined trail. If you do this on a wetter day you really have to watch your footing, the rocks get very slick. Poison oak grows very close to the trail so have long pants on.

I have to take off a star because there was trash at the destination. :(

Great day. Great hike. Don't get to tierd on the way down, because it's all uphill on the way back. Never knew I could boulder scramble. Light mountaineering required to get to your destination. Slightly uncomfortable for me, but what a feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

Definitely a fun and beautiful trail. It's pretty easy going down until you're about 100m from the grotto. Then you're rock climbing the rest of the way down and then back up to get back to the trail. I would imagine this being fairly easy as well however, I had my five month old strapped to me and wasn't comfortable scaling the rocks.

Beautiful Scenic Trail~!! Can't wait to come back. We found the grotto but weren't able to scramble down to the actual waterfall. I read that there's a rope available to do so, but we obviously missed it. So we have to come back and try again. Plus it may have been a tad difficult with our little trail pup. We drove out early in the morning on a cloudy, rainy weekend. Parking was easy and plentiful but that's probably because it was a somewhat rainy day. The views are AMAZING and this is a seriously fun trail. Will definitely be back again~! :)

it's a nice easy trail. it features a waterfall inside of a cave. pretty neat

One of the best trails. Somewhat challenging for new hikers.

Really fun trail. This is only my 2nd one so the "Easy" tag was a bit misleading. The last quarter mile before the grotto gets a bit hairy compared to most easy trails I've been on. Quite a bit of bouldering and there's a rope to climb up and down a drop.

Brought my 7 year old nephew and we were both winded by the time we got back. But it was a lot of fun - will definitely come back when I've got a few more trails under my belt.

Easy enough trail until just above the grotto from which point there's a bit of a climb/scramble down and back up again. Managed it with a 3 yr old, an 8 yr old and my wife who has never done any climbing before.

The grotto itself is well worth the journey down, my 3 yr old didn't want to leave.

I had a bit of a look further down the creek from the grotto, and very soon came across a lot of poison oak, although I didn't see any along the main trail.

Loads of cheeky little lizards about, a gopher snake or two (harmless) and some humming birds which was nice.

Make sure you save some energy for the hike back up to the top though.