Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Grotto Canyon

Grotto Canyon is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Death Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and bird watching and is best used from October until April.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 672 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

4WD necessary for deep sand in parking area and leading up to it. Otherwise, this is a great hike with an has immediate payoff, fun dry falls after less than half a mile.

Every hike in Death Valley is beautiful. No hike here is as easy as it may look. Add heat, wind and other factors and it can get dangerous. Don't fool yourself that anything is easy.

Park on the main road if you do not have a high 4x4, the road is unpaved and harsh: it adds 3km. Main advice: bring a rope if you are with people not comfortable to climb 18 feet with poor grip. I was with my girlfriend and we could not do it. I coule have done it alone because i am tall but it is definitely not an easy climb. Going up seems to be ok. Going down seems pretty tricky. When then went on the right and took the alternate canyon which is steep and can be dangerous to do something instead of going back. Don’t go there alone.

Day hiked: (3/6/19) I hiked this one as an alternative to the closed Mosaic Canyon. The reviews here are pretty accurate. I didn't trust my rental car to go up the dirt road so I hiked it, adding about 2 miles total. I didn't get to do the whole thing because there was water flowing down the first climb from the storms last night. I tried but couldn't quite make it up. Like someone before me said, these are certainly climbs and not scrambles. Excited to come back and do this one a different time!

Let’s do a little update for this great little “hidden” trail. I did this hike on 1/27/2019. The first review by Kate is pretty spot on. This is a great hike if you’re looking for solitude. However, there’s some things you need to know: 1. 4WD and high(er) clearance is a must for getting all the way to the parking area. There’s been some wash outs which have made the dirt road bombed out in places. I did it with a AWD Chevy Equinox which did just fine. 2. It’s pretty remote. Stovepipe Wells is “close” but this isn’t a hike to come unprepared for. Bring tons of water and let someone know where you are. It felt hot (75 degrees) when I did it in January. I can’t imagine what it would be like past March/April. 3. You’ll probably need “technical” equipment like Kate wrote. I only made it to the third dry waterfall which is about 0.5 miles in. The first dry waterfall is tough but you can climb up it. These aren’t scrambles, they’re small rock climbs. The second dry waterfall immediately after the first isn’t as bad as the first. But the third dry waterfall (see pic I uploaded) I couldn’t do. It’s slick polished black marble about 10 feet high (my picture doesn’t do it justice). Maybe a couple of guys could do a push/pull and get up it. Or, maybe you could go around it somehow? But some climbing experience and a rope wouldn’t hurt. 4. You probably won’t see anybody. If solitude is your thing, then this is your hike. Be careful out there.

Fri Sep 02 2016

The ending is a cute waterfall where you hang from a tree. Does get pretty dirty though. Amazing to see water stream like that in the middle of the desert

Thu Jan 10 2013

4WD necessary for deep sand in parking area and leading up to it. Otherwise, hike is great and has immediate payoff-- grottos and short (8-15'), fun dry falls after less than half a mile. Some technical equipment may be required. Canyon continues after the 4 mile mark, but the narrows section ends. We only saw one other group during the entire hike, which is pretty normal for Grotto Canyon.

Mon Jun 18 2018