Grizzly Flat Trail

Grizzly Flat Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near La Canada Flintridge, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,975 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a nice shaded out-and-back trail in the lower part of the Angeles Crest Highway. The first part is a fairly steep incline but is completely shaded. It becomes a more gradual climb up over the saddle and down into grizzly flats.

Just did this hike today, 10am. Or should I say we TRIED to do this hike today. Little did we know but at the old graffiti'd helipad, we were supposed to take the trail to the RIGHT - NOT the one to the left (DON'T take the trail to the left if you want to head to Grizzly Flats, lol.) No markers or comments here but both trails look 'official'. Even on the AT APP they look like they converge. They don't. Different elevations. So we ended up with a 10 mile (5 each way) to Mt. Lukens instead. Sorry! Hopefully will have a better comment to make - as well as a better review - when we actually get to hike the correct trail. :) PS: *DO NOT TAKE THE LEFT TRAIL AT THE HELIPAD*

This was a gorgeous trail with tons of wildflowers, shade and greenery. A lot of beautiful yellow shrub flowers and rock roses, buuut, the yellow shrub flowers were overgrown to the point that they were in your face for a few miles, the rock roses had a lot of bees (although they thankfully left us alone), there was a lot of poison oak and we had to scramble under a handful of fallen trees. We cut the trail a few miles short because of the poison oak and scrambling. I’d definitely go back and finish. Just not with an 18 month old on my back.

The entrance to the trail was completely overgrown, missing it the first time. halfway up the trail to Mt. Lukens, I decided to keep goin until the split. On the way back I made my way through the trail, and much like the entrance it was overgrown. Really peaceful. A lot of bees working on the wild flowers. I only made it to creek, as much of the trail was washed out or there were a lot of fallen trees. Three trees were side by side fallen across the trail. Poor planing on my part (no breakfast or food) made me turn back at that point.

ccccvvvvcccccvvvvxxhxx vvcxcfvhjjcvcfhrr tnt4fxfuhb 4

Light trafficked with lots of wildflowers but a bit too overgrown and many ticks.

Beware of poison oak right now BUT this trail is beautiful and isolated. I went on 4/20 with friends (entering off the 2) and I neglected to refresh my memory on how poison oak looks in spring (green). The trail is very overgrown in parts requiring you to walk through lots of foliage. I was wearing shorts and despite being as cautious as I could be - it got me. My friends wearing pants and long sleeves faired fine but they could have just been lucky. Proceed with knowledge and caution.

recorded Grizzly Flat Trail

Great views of the highway on one side and then the wilderness.

Too much water to cross stream (now a river). Lots of trash.

Beginning of the trail is pretty steep. At the top the trails for off in three different directions. The one you want is straight ahead but overgrown and easy to miss. The rest of the trail on is pretty easy. Overgrown and a scramble at times but an easy descent. I got caught off by the river. The recent rains made it impassible. Beware of ticks by the river. Found 3 on me after scrambling around looking for a crossing.

The trail down to the flats is overgrown, we decided to take the leftmost fork as a result, which had nice valley views but was not too challenging. First half mile is the steepest.

I took a slightly different trail which was shorter but it was lovely.

great hike. river crossings, switch backs, coyotes, Bobcats, foxes seen here regularly. clean and maintained to a certain point then it gets real wild where you see no sign of pple. great views after the steep switch binacks.

I did a shortened version of this hike, from Angeles Crest Highway to Grizzly Flats (4.5 instead of 7.1 mi). The trail is pretty overgrown when you pass the junction at the .6 mile mark. I recommend wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt.