Grizzly Flat Trail

Grizzly Flat Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near La Canada Flintridge, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,975 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a nice shaded out-and-back trail in the lower part of the Angeles Crest Highway. The first part is a fairly steep incline but is completely shaded. It becomes a more gradual climb up over the saddle and down into grizzly flats.

Confusing but worth it. After the helipad, DON'T go right as another reviewer incorrectly states, GO LEFT and soon you will be on the other side of the mountains with nice views. If you start the hike on the fire road with the Grizzly Flats sign, I think the actual Grizzly Flats Trail intersects the fire road about a mile in. You'll come to a saddle with a trail going down to the right toward the creek along the road to Palmdale. There is a flat area here (could this be Grizzly Flats?). The trail also goes off to the left, through a lushly forested area (the old Christmas Tree farm a hiker told me about?) I think the whole of this trail (left and right) is the actual Grizzly Flats. I explored some of the tree farm area. It's a nice environment but chose to go back to the fire road and hike up the mountain. Technically a different hike, yes, but really nice. Just know that you should GO LEFT at the fork after the helipad and that there are no signs pointing out the actual Grizzly Flats trail. Also, I suspect that the real trail head for GF is back down the angeles crest, west a quarter mile where there are some shaded stone steps and not much else. I'll try that trail head soon and update. For the meantime, very nice views on this hike, JUST GO LEFT!

First part of the trail up to the ridge was being cleared by a group of volunteers as I hiked today, so much more passable now than some of the reports below. Still some slippery spots due to erosion and loose rock in the first bit of the trail.

Very nice trail and pretty steep at first. Did this last Thursday, 12/5 and ran into some areas where down trees completely covered the path. There was also a washed out area where the trail had slide down the side of the mountain. Be careful crossing it!

Did this for the second time. It’s slightly overgrown, but nothing you can’t get by. I still for the life of me can’t figure out where people get lost. The only possible confusion is where you cross the fire road. And that is marked on AllTrails. You just literally go straight at the metal post. Not left, not right. Not the prettiest time of year for this, but a good hike.

great trail if you do it early. we got there around 7am and finished around 11. there is plenty of shade most of the time and this would be an absolutely breathtaking hike during the spring as flowering shrubs line the majority of the trail. the bright yellow ones that smell so good. and the river which was small when we visited is many times bigger in the spring. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Just did this hike today, 10am. Or should I say we TRIED to do this hike today. Little did we know but at the old graffiti'd helipad, we were supposed to take the trail to the RIGHT - NOT the one to the left (DON'T take the trail to the left if you want to head to Grizzly Flats, lol.) No markers or comments here but both trails look 'official'. Even on the AT APP they look like they converge. They don't. Different elevations. So we ended up with a 10 mile (5 each way) to Mt. Lukens instead. Sorry! Hopefully will have a better comment to make - as well as a better review - when we actually get to hike the correct trail. :) PS: *DO NOT TAKE THE LEFT TRAIL AT THE HELIPAD*

This was a gorgeous trail with tons of wildflowers, shade and greenery. A lot of beautiful yellow shrub flowers and rock roses, buuut, the yellow shrub flowers were overgrown to the point that they were in your face for a few miles, the rock roses had a lot of bees (although they thankfully left us alone), there was a lot of poison oak and we had to scramble under a handful of fallen trees. We cut the trail a few miles short because of the poison oak and scrambling. I’d definitely go back and finish. Just not with an 18 month old on my back.

The entrance to the trail was completely overgrown, missing it the first time. halfway up the trail to Mt. Lukens, I decided to keep goin until the split. On the way back I made my way through the trail, and much like the entrance it was overgrown. Really peaceful. A lot of bees working on the wild flowers. I only made it to creek, as much of the trail was washed out or there were a lot of fallen trees. Three trees were side by side fallen across the trail. Poor planing on my part (no breakfast or food) made me turn back at that point.

ccccvvvvcccccvvvvxxhxx vvcxcfvhjjcvcfhrr tnt4fxfuhb 4

Light trafficked with lots of wildflowers but a bit too overgrown and many ticks.