Grays Peak Trail

Grays Peak Trail is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Fawnskin, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,174 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: This trail closes seasonally for bald eagle breeding. Please check with the park page for updates.

Awesome trail. 2.5 hours in with 2 dogs, and novice hikers, 1.5 hours out. We tracked about 8.4 miles in and out, which is strange since they state 3.7 miles-ish. Gradual incline made it quite easy, and not a whole ton of traffic. I think mountain bikers should have a separate riding trail, but otherwise a great way to spend our Saturday!

This trail was 7.4 not 6.4. Well maintained with nearly constant grade and nice views.

Nice little hike with great views from the top. Moderate/Easy inclines, reached the peak 1 hour, 10 minutes.

This is a great hike ! Took my dog, easy trail to follow. Moderate incline. Nice views. Distance ended up being 7 miles. Took about 3 1/2 hours. Trail is in good shape. Overall, a pretty easy hike.

Super dry out today but beautiful nonetheless. Moderate incline, would recommend

Hiking to see the bald eagles. No bald eagles today

Great trail we always enjoy.

Good hike this morning headed up to Gray’s Peak. Got there in good time and trail conditions were good. I wish there were still a marker at the top, searched all over for one around the highest rock to no avail.

Start early, beat the crowds.

It's a very nice hike. It's not too hard, nor is it particularly easy. There are better views to be had on other trails however (such as Pine Knot to Grand View). Regardless, it was a good time out and about in the forest.

Trailhead is open (8/18/19), one of my favorite hikes in Big Bear, amazing views.

So peaceful and perfect temps!

Called ranger station and confirmed trail is now open effective 8/1/19. They have not opened parking or taken signage down as I was told that will take time. Options are to park in town or hike Grey's from the Hannah Flats campground. Hiked this morning 8/2/19, was on trail by 5:30 am. Trail is in really good condition. It has obviously been used frequently regardless of closure. Awesome way to start the day with this hike.

closed

It is is important to close this trail for the bald eagle breeding season. Male bald eagles lose their erection when they see a hiker. I understand. Some hikers have the same effect on me. Regards to the forest service officials who study foul erections. Take some time off for a breeding season of your own. Make some little bureaucrats who will grow up and tell us we can't hike Grey's peak trail.

Trail is closed as of 7/22. Gate locked lots of no entry signage.

Closed as of June 8th, 2019

Still closed ive been wanting to do that trail for two years and every time I go to Big Bear its the same fenced off with signs.

Trail still closed now as well.

closed

Just an FYI currently the trail is still closed.

closed

Just updating for this year that grey’s peak trail is closed from Dec 1- April 1st according to the signs posted this year. There is no where to park and lots are snowed in. It’s a bald eagle breeding ground so got to let them do their thing!

Did this hike with my son (11) and two dogs. I thought the phrase "Are we there yet?' was limited to road trip, guess not. This trail is on the easy side of moderate. Nice clearly marked trail with steady inclines. The trail is also a favorite with trail runners.

we did the hike in 3 hours 15 minutes round trip ages 8 to 56, 11 people was a great day a coulpe Marines an Army RANGER and Family's all in all good day RLTW

What a nice hike. Beautiful view and autumn all over. Trail is well maintained and easy going out and back.

We did this hike today! Perfect weather since there isn't much shade. Our Runtastic app did say that it was about 8.1 miles total though...not 6.4. Not sure where the discrepancy lies but it was excellent!

We did several trails this weekend. This and Bertha peak are pretty close to each other. I think this is harder than Bertha. It’s a pretty lengthy steep climb for about the second half going up. I got pretty winded. Still a great hike. I had done it once before and will do it again. Great view from the top.

Great trail, gorgeous views. Can be a bit difficult if you’re not used to the altitude, or a bit out of shape.

Great hike. Not too difficult. Perfect day and great trail.