Gray Whale Cove Trail

Gray Whale Cove Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pacifica, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

surfing

beach

From CA-92 West, turn right onto Main Street and drive for 0.3 miles. Turn right onto CA-1 North adn drive for 7.4 miles. The parking lot for the southern entrance into Montara State Beach is to the south of a restaurant called La Constanera.

Fun and beautiful.

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES! This is a beautiful hike that I take my pup on. Today my dad joined us and we went all the way to the top and he got a sharp pain. We checked his shoe and there was nothing. He kept going and the pain continued. Later we found the piece of glass that went sideways into his shoe and was stabbing him. We all like to have a good time but please clean your stuff up and pack it out (it’s even lighter than when you carried it full)

So sad, this is a beautiful hike with amazing views that I highly recommend. Just wanted to give a heads up to fellow hikers.

Beautiful views

This trail has STUNNING views! Whales were breaching just off the coast. The trails has gentle slopes (where not flat) after a slight incline out of the parking area. The first section of the trail can be dense with vegetation, including poison oak; walking single file and carefully is key. Shortly after beginning the trail widens and wildflowers line the trails.

I was looking for an easy hike for a girl's trip and this did not disappoint! Accessible for everyone's skill level and beautiful views. We were fortunate enough to see a few whales from the bench lookout and several bunnies along the way. Highly recommend for all levels!

Easy to find and navigate. Brought my dog and boyfriend and we all had great time. Being close to Half Moon Bay, we refueled at Sam's Chowder house where dogs are allowed on the patio. We will be back again and will attempt the harder trails nearby!