Gray Whale Cove Trail

Gray Whale Cove Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pacifica, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

surfing

beach

From CA-92 West, turn right onto Main Street and drive for 0.3 miles. Turn right onto CA-1 North adn drive for 7.4 miles. The parking lot for the southern entrance into Montara State Beach is to the south of a restaurant called La Constanera.

Easy hike for kids and being dog friendly is a huge bonus.
Views are gorgeous. Parking is busy but didn’t have to wait long (came around 3 pm in gorgeous Saturday)
Easy access to additional trails

Found parking difficult, probably because of the beach. Nice trail though and only a few other pups which is good for our not so good pup. It’s also very narrow and exposed so bring sunscreen and water.

Easy hike with nice views. Parking and beach access available at both ends. No restrooms.

very short trail a bit of hill in the beginning and at the turn around but nothing too crazy. the biggest thing is that the parking lot is not to the South of the restaurant as is mentioned in the description but actually to the North. Additionality, the start finish parking lot recommended here is a bit small so I recommend parking at the larger lot at Gray Whale Cove then hiking south to Montara opposed to starting at Montara and hiking north to Gray Whale Cove.

Nice view along the trail. Easy walk most of the way. Most of the trail is quite exposed, so make sure wear sunscreen. The trail is probably more suited for cooler days (like winter), I imagine it’d be too hot and too exposed for hot summer days.

Fun and beautiful.

CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES! This is a beautiful hike that I take my pup on. Today my dad joined us and we went all the way to the top and he got a sharp pain. We checked his shoe and there was nothing. He kept going and the pain continued. Later we found the piece of glass that went sideways into his shoe and was stabbing him. We all like to have a good time but please clean your stuff up and pack it out (it’s even lighter than when you carried it full)

So sad, this is a beautiful hike with amazing views that I highly recommend. Just wanted to give a heads up to fellow hikers.

Beautiful views

This trail has STUNNING views! Whales were breaching just off the coast. The trails has gentle slopes (where not flat) after a slight incline out of the parking area. The first section of the trail can be dense with vegetation, including poison oak; walking single file and carefully is key. Shortly after beginning the trail widens and wildflowers line the trails.

I was looking for an easy hike for a girl's trip and this did not disappoint! Accessible for everyone's skill level and beautiful views. We were fortunate enough to see a few whales from the bench lookout and several bunnies along the way. Highly recommend for all levels!

Easy to find and navigate. Brought my dog and boyfriend and we all had great time. Being close to Half Moon Bay, we refueled at Sam's Chowder house where dogs are allowed on the patio. We will be back again and will attempt the harder trails nearby!

Simply the most gorgeous views you'll ever get on a hiking trail. If mountain cliffs dropping into the smashing waves of the Pacific Ocean aren't for you then steer clear of this little piece of paradise. The trails can get a little narrow when passing, but I'm searching for absolutely anything not to like about this spot.

Very easy hike and decent views of Pacifica. Benches available to sit at scenic spots.

Parking can get full at times but really depends on days you go, weekends will be busy. Can hike down to the beach also for a good walk but be careful of traffic crossing cause you have to cross main road with two way traffic.

Enjoy !!

Absolutely beautiful hike!

Great hike except for the fact my husband made me trek uphill instead of arpund. Gorgeous view for this flat land Floridian.

This is definitely more of a walk than a hike but if you love the ocean then you will surely be a delight. There is a fantastic view of the water the entire time. Easy as pie and highly recommended. It's also a hop skip and jump from the abandoned old bunker so thats totally cool too!

This trail has a lot of great views of the ocean! Definitely on the easy side. There are other trails up there you can take to challenge yourself - just make sure you bring a trail map of the area in the event you don't have cell/internet service.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Excellent hike with breathtaking views. We did it with our 3y old and he was comfortable walking. Note that at this time, it's muddy and not stroller friendly with very uneven path. Plan accordingly.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Always my favorite easy hike in HMB.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

easy hike with amazing views !