Graveyard Lakes Trail

Graveyard Lakes Trail is a 14.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mono Hot Springs, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Given the altitude challenge. My bestfriend and I recently completed this trail and then went on to conquer Graveyard peak itself. Keep in mind this is an active stock trail and we were passed by several groups of horses. There was also a large amount of horse dung directly on the trail, which added to the already large amount of flies and mosquitos. As soon as you clear the first meadow the trail picks up altitude pretty quickly and somewhat levels off about halfway through. You have to cross a fairly strong current in one of the streams (This marks the halfway mark) and then the last push is a 800ft climb via switchbacks before you make it to the lakes. Graveyard Peak is an additional 1100 feet which puts you right at 10,700 feet! I would only recommend this for the most athletic and able-bodied. We are both in either our mid or late 20's and we both had to struggle to conquer the summit. Overall this is a great trail with some world class views rivaling that of Yosemite Valley in my own opinion. Just be sure and remember the bug spray, and reapply it often!

Water crossings but runoff has slowed down.
Fishing is good all along trail. Wild flowers everywhere.
Ice in the upper lakes in Mid July.
I'll be back.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Great trail, some water crossings, lots of fishing along the trail

Thursday, July 21, 2011