Grasslands Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Agoura Hills, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 538 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Grasslands Trailhead is the most popular trailhead in western Los Angeles/eastern Ventura counties. It's popular because the hiking and biking opportunities in Malibu Creek State Park are outstanding. This route leads to the MASH television show filming site. There is also a Visitors Center in the park. No dogs are allowed on the Grasslands Trail and in the backcountry of the park.

It was a good trail, I suggest bringing lots of cool water, perfect if you have a hydro flask. Easy to social distance, and not toooo many mosquitoes.

I really enjoyed this hike. It is filled with beautiful views and various types of vegetation. The main trails are pretty easy, however there are several less traveled trailers that can provide you with a little more challenge. I will definitely be returning soon.

Easy to get in, all uphill getting out. Fun!

bridge out

Awesome. Went off the trail to a bike trail and it was great. Great for a light early morning jog.

This is definitely a good early morning hike. I went during the sunrise and it was definitely a fun way to start my morning. It was very easy only a couple of inclines and the ground was only a little rock. The path was very clear and good. I enjoyed this hike. Would definitely recommend as an easy warm-up to start the day. I’ll probably go workout at the gym later though to get in some more intense cardio.

bridge out

Very popular trail so get there early to find parking. Bridge was out so you need to cross the river via a downed tree just past where the bridge was in order to get to the MASH set. I tacked on a little extra going all the way to Malibu Lake. Easy hike and not overgrown.

This trail was very peaceful and the view of the fields were amazing. The destination of the rock pond was GREAT! I would definitely suggest jumping into the water. It’s cold and refreshing. This whole trail experience was very nice.

Tue May 28 2019

Lovely trail. Begins off with dry grasslands and quickly runs alongside rocky terrain and medium sized peaks. There’s a creek running not too far from the trail. There is some shade but would probably be a very hot one to do during the summer months. There’s a lot of wildflowers to view right now. Trail is mostly wide and very easy to follow. I would say this is an easy hike with a couple of short uphill sections. Connects to several smaller trails that can extend this into a longer hike. We ended up hiking 6 miles. Portopotties available in at least two different areas. We parked on the side of the road.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Fri Apr 26 2019

I’d recommend this trail to anyone. Starting on Mulholland, the beginning is pleasant, and then there is a steep slope which is a pain to walk back up (unless you go around it on your way out, which takes longer but is less steep). After this, the trail is shady and by some water. You’ll pass a few port-o-potties and if you go past them, you’ll be in your way to the rock lake, which is beautiful. Sometimes there are rock climbers above on the rocks on the other side. Sometimes it’s quiet but I’ve been there when it’s packed with families picnicking and swimming too. Leaving this area, there is a path that goes above the way you entered in; this is a fun path as you’ll be on your way to a second lake, where the dam is. There was a goose there last time. Sit an relax by the water! There are multiple trails but they are all connected so you can have an adventure figuring out where you want to go!

Sun Apr 14 2019

I saw a snake on trail so be careful!

Mon Jan 28 2019

It’s a family friendly trail. Leads right up to the MASH set trail.

Tue Jan 01 2019

Loved this little gem. Extraordinary views of the fire’s destruction from 2018. Also. MASH!

Sun Sep 09 2018

Nice hike.. not much elevation gain .. we found the MASH set and took tons of pictures!

Tue Jun 19 2018

Nice hike. Veryeasy and great views, there's the MASH area where the TV show was filmed..

Sun May 27 2018

Easy trail. It was good my boyfriend has injury so we are trying to take it easy.

Fri Nov 24 2017

Well traveled, nice amount of shade. Groomed trail. Mostly flat with a couple steep climbs but nothing technical or difficult.

Fri Sep 01 2017

200 ft from our car we saw a family of deer. Within 15 minutes we reached the top of a hill with a 360 degree view the grassy plain & mountains. We hiked a little bit further to the rock pool, which was refreshing even in the heat of summer. We spent a little too much time at the rock pool, so we didnt get to explore many of the other trails. If I end up in this area again, this will for sure be a stop.

Fri Jul 21 2017

Awesome hike! It was extremely easy, and mostly flat. It was very scenic and parking is free on the Mulholland Highway. It was also very shady after dropping to Crags Road.

Tue Jan 03 2017

Lots of water in Malibu Creek. Hills haven't greened up yet. The new grass hasn't overcome the old dead gray growth. Canyons north of 101 are greener but a dirty green. Not sure why but the old growth seems less dense in Upper Las Virgenes Canyon,

Sat Sep 17 2016

Some nice little hills, cool ride to Malibu Lake... Or almost to it, you can't go all the way.

Tue Aug 16 2016

I really liked it! $3 parking for 1hr. Not sure what the longer times cost.... I just walked and followed trails that lead to a dead end with a gate that said no trespassing. I just turned around and went back. I enjoyed it! There's some parts of shade and the creek runs along the path! Just would like to note that I am a female and I went alone. I have enter been before and although I was scared, I felt safe. There weren't any people and I just kept a look out of my surroundings. I'll be going back!!!

Fri May 20 2016

Hiked the Grasslands Trail to Crags Rd and the visitor center. Came back High Road. Everything has dried up. Malibu Creek only has small pockets of water and the grasslands are all brown. It would have been nice if it had stayed green longer but still a really nice hike.

Thu Jan 21 2016

Just so you don't show up at the Grasslands Trail hoping to have a nice outing with your canine buddy...it is clearly marked that dogs are NOT allowed on the trail.