Grass Mountain Trail

Grass Mountain Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Ynez, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,411 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Starting off easy, this trail steadily increases in difficulty until the final mile directly up the side of the mountain to the peak. It is not the highest mountain in the area, but still has commanding views over most the surrounding area. A permit is required. (See contact information.)

This hike always tests my will, Strength and courage... Starts slow and easy then mostly incline, This time I calculated to 5.7 miles.. Always stay hydrated even with times now, Had a loss of focus of dehydration and a knee buckle coming down

Absolutely great hiking. Cows along the trail in some areas was of great interest to my dog Ella. Beautiful around every corner with nice creeks.

Good morning hike! It was overcast so a great day for it. No major issues just make sure you stay on the trail.

beautiful. watch for snakes

bring trekking poles and you'll be good to go! beautiful hike, and great workout!

I was not expecting this hike to be this difficult. I have never needed trekking g poles, but a friend told me to take them. Am I ever glad I did. I think they saved my knees. Great views the whole hike and I saw the bald eagle that a previous hiker reported seeing. Took just under three hours round trip.

This is an amazing hike, but very strenuous. Meanders and crosses a creek a few times, then starts climbing. Some scrambling is necessary in many spots. I saw several people slide coming down, many, including myself, decided to do the downhill slide on the butt. Not for the novice hiker. Views are amazing and the flowers are beautiful! Pictures don’t do it justice, the smell of the flowers as you trek along is intoxicating. Hiking pants or loose jeans best, as some butt sliding is necessary. Cannot stress how steep this is, but if you’ve got it in you, worth the climb! Bring water and snacks, this is a tough workout!

Go now! As of 5 April, the mountain is in full bloom. Go in the afternoon after the poppies have had time to open up and your reward awaits you at the top. Enjoy!!!

Not for the novice!!! One of the hardest hikes I’ve done to date! HIGHLY recommend trekking poles, good shoes, starting early, PLENTY of water, layers and a good snack at the top! It’s pretty much a straight climb all the way up. Going down is almost as hard as going up, very rough on the knees, but SOOOOOO worth it. Beautiful experience, but you DEFINITELY have to work for it.

this trail kicked our butts but very rewarding and felt great once we reached the top. hardest part was coming back down. be prepared to fall, and get ready for the best leg burn of your life!

recorded Grass Mountain Trail

So gnarly!! But so glad we made it to the top! My suggestions are...start early, wear trail running shoes, gloves for the hike down, and bring plenty of water. I say to bring gloves because I purposely slid my way down at some of the more loose rock areas.

Gorgeous!! Thanks for recommending, Shelley. Just have to be careful on the way down especially if not wearing trail running shoes.

Sooooo hard! Beautiful trail but the second half on the way up, it’s nearly so torturous you don’t notice the beauty! Haha! But on the way down, we took lots of breaks to take in the beauty! It was very steep and on the way down, we slid a lot because it’s a lot of loose rock. Some people went up too far and didn’t have the athletic ability to come down...this is not a beginner trail. That being said, ALL ages of people were scrambling to the top! One of my favorite hikes I’ve ever done. The flowers are absolutely incredible!

Way harder than it looks. Trail is pretty difficult but worth it.

Beautiful but treacherous!

Super Bloom in all its glory!! A leg burner for sure!!

Tough throughout but great trail! My dog did well and played in the little river at the bottom.

Amazing.

Be prepared for a tough hike and take plenty of water! The route is VERY steep over the last few kms with little to no shade to shelter from the sun. If you’re after a challenge then this is an ideal trail with great views on the way up - you really feel like you’re walking to the top of the world! Not for beginners.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Amazing views. Very tough.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Great hike, very challenging especially the last 1/3 which is steep with loose dry dirt and rocks. It was hot took 2 liters of water and drank it all. Beautiful views and very peaceful didn’t see another person on the trail!

Saturday, May 26, 2018

great hike. mountain was covered in color today. very steep for the last mile but the view is worth the effort.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

This trail while difficult was beautiful today. Poppies and lupine were alive. Nice to be so close to water too.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Went two days ago for a 21st anniversary hike. I hike on average 25 miles a week and am in good shape, and it's no joke that the last mile to the top is tough! The views are incredible though. Went around 11am, and the poppies weren't open. They seemed to be opening a bit more as we were leaving. I've lived in the SB/Ventura area most of my life and had never done this hike. It was on my bucket list. Definitely is beautiful this time of year and worth the tough climb. Celebrated with wine at Sunstone afterward!